Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic Why is my game so messed up?? Help again, please!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Why is my game so messed up?? Help again, please!
katgirlgreen13
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:42 pm
ARG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Installing seasons completely screwed up my game!
Okay, here are the problems:

1. None of my Sims can shop for clothes anymore. The "Try-On" option is gone, and if I tell the to Buy...anything, the action fades away from their queue. This happened with multiple people in the same house, but then it happened at SSU! This is a problem, because most Sims that I don't create look like "they've been mugged by a renegade rodeo clown," in the words of David Chess.
2. All my pets (cats and dogs) are sinking into the ground! If they're not doing anything, they just sink into the ground, and don't do anything, and nobody can interact with them. The action just fades away from their queue, like the clothes.
3. All the toddlers are levitating! If someone is holding a toddler, then puts them down, the toddler will sit there for a minute, then suddenly stand up in the air. Then if I tell them to go somewhere or someone else picks them up, they're on the floor again. It's not completely major, but it's really creepy!
4. Beds are becoming glitched. Occasionally at random times, a sleeping Sim will just appear awake and out of the bed, but the blanket is still shaped like there's a Sim sleeping in the bed. If I tell them to go back to bed, the action fades out of their queue (sound familiar?), and even if I delete the bed and buy them a new one, the action still fades out of the queue! I've had to exit without saving numerous times and go back in just so they could sleep.
5. Teens are getting adult jobs. I had one teen that reached the top of the part-time medical career track, then one day when they were going to work, I suddenly got a message saying, "Carey has been promoted to General Practitioner!" It was at the regular time for adults, and she just jumped from EMT to GP-as a teen. That's not supposed to happen, is it??

And this last one isn't really a glitch, it's just annoying. Whenever I leave my Sims with nothing to do for even a second, the only thing they'll do autonomously is take a shower/bath. Is there a hack to fix that? It's really really annoying.

I've installed the Seasons Patch, but it didn't fix anything. All this stuff was happening before the patch, and it's still happening. I'm getting really discouraged. If anyone has any advice or hacks and patches I could use, please, please, please help me!
Thanks everybody! I really appreciate it!

Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:54 am
Wow! Wasn't expecting anything this big at 4am!

Let me get back to you when I'm more awake.

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Re: Why is my game so messed up?? Help again, please!
miros1
Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:39 am
Most of these sound like you've got outdated hacks. When I installed Pets with the OFB yellowpee, the Sims couldn't pee!

General thoughts:

a) You can turn on "boolprop debugtestingcheatsenabled true" in your userstartup.cheat file so you'll get error logs. Since there's no attachments here, you'll have to paste in the top part, including at least 2 "stackframes."

b) Since you're on a Mac with no utilities that I'm familiar with, you'll have to do a binary check of your downloads. Remove everything in Downloads to a safe place. Try the game. Put half back. Try the game. If it works, put half of the rest back. If it fails, remove half, try the game, repeat.

katgirlgreen13 wrote:
1. None of my Sims can shop for clothes anymore. The "Try-On" option is gone, and if I tell the to Buy...anything, the action fades away from their queue. This happened with multiple people in the same house, but then it happened at SSU! This is a problem, because most Sims that I don't create look like "they've been mugged by a renegade rodeo clown," in the words of David Chess.

Diagnosis: Bad/outdated hack.

Yeah, if there's one ugly outfit (and Maxis made lots more than one), the game will pick it for both your growing up Sims and for the ones it creates. My game gets stuck on this super pale geneticized skin...

You might want the Lot Debugger from MATY. It has a "Randomize Sim Generator" function to prevent "First Birth" syndrome. You only need to run that once per play session, so you could put it in a tiny house that will load quickly. I think it helps vary the Sims the game creates as well as the born-in-game ones. This won't fix your problem, just minimize the occurrance.

katgirlgreen13 wrote:
2. All my pets (cats and dogs) are sinking into the ground! If they're not doing anything, they just sink into the ground, and don't do anything, and nobody can interact with them. The action just fades away from their queue, like the clothes.

Hm, I had that problem too... I got all the pet related fixes from MATY and it went away. I also added ZW's cheats which let you control pets and cancel their actions. Great for pets that like to be naughty while everyone's at work!

katgirlgreen13 wrote:

3. All the toddlers are levitating! If someone is holding a toddler, then puts them down, the toddler will sit there for a minute, then suddenly stand up in the air. Then if I tell them to go somewhere or someone else picks them up, they're on the floor again. It's not completely major, but it's really creepy!

If it's one toddler or child, that would be a corrupted Sim file. If it's all of them, that's something else, like a bad hack.

katgirlgreen13 wrote:
4. Beds are becoming glitched. Occasionally at random times, a sleeping Sim will just appear awake and out of the bed, but the blanket is still shaped like there's a Sim sleeping in the bed. If I tell them to go back to bed, the action fades out of their queue (sound familiar?), and even if I delete the bed and buy them a new one, the action still fades out of the queue! I've had to exit without saving numerous times and go back in just so they could sleep.

That really sounds like a bad hack, especially the ones that "assign" beds to Sims. I think it's the Sim getting corrupted, not the bed, since they can't sleep in a new bed.

katgirlgreen13 wrote:
5. Teens are getting adult jobs. I had one teen that reached the top of the part-time medical career track, then one day when they were going to work, I suddenly got a message saying, "Carey has been promoted to General Practitioner!" It was at the regular time for adults, and she just jumped from EMT to GP-as a teen. That's not supposed to happen, is it??

If it started when you installed Pets, I'd say you've got a way outdated hack.

If you want this to happen: Yes, there are hacks to make that happen.

katgirlgreen13 wrote:
And this last one isn't really a glitch, it's just annoying. Whenever I leave my Sims with nothing to do for even a second, the only thing they'll do autonomously is take a shower/bath. Is there a hack to fix that? It's really really annoying.

That's gotta be annoying in a dorm, since Dormie think that doing assignments will improve their hygiene. If it doesn't happen in dorms, that's a clue... it's one of the hacks that affect assignments.

Once you get their autonomy fixed, you could check into Macrotastics from MATY. It has a "Power Idle" function that directs your Sims to eat, sleep, potty, drink coffee, etc. to keep their needs green, but your commands will slide right onto the queue with minimal interference.

My userstartup.cheat:
Quote:

boolProp testingCheatsEnabled true
boolprop useshaders true
sethighestallowedlevel 10
boolProp petActionCancel true
boolProp ControlPets on
uintProp maxTotalSims 50
uintProp maxTotalHumans 35
uintProp maxTotalPets 15
faceBlendLimits off

The current crop of JMP hacks:
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/ffs/seasons/hacks/

Read each RTFM as you install the hacks!

katgirlgreen13
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:21 am
Thank you so much, Rose! You are a lifesafer!!!

Just one question, though...where is the userstartup.cheat file? And what are stackframes?
And I definitely don't want my teen Sims to get adult jobs. It just started a while after I installed Seasons.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:50 pm
I figured you didn't want teens in adult jobs... dang, do you have the elderjobfix hack? That could be doing it!

Under Windows, userstartup.cheat is a text file in My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Config. The tricky part is making sure the suffix is .cheat, not .cheat.txt. I'd assume the Mac is about the same in terms of location.

Stackframes... let me get a chunk of one of my error logs... See where it says Frame 5 and Frame 4?

Quote:
Build: 1.7.0.145
at Jan 25 2007,22:24:47

Object id: 805
name: N001_User00144 - Liya
Stack size: 6
Error: Invalid routing slot specified (literal slotNum=11 numSlots=11) Ref3
Iterations: 1
Frame 5:
Stack Object id: 543
Stack Object name: Television - Floor - Expensive - Left
Node: 0
Tree: id 8301 name 'TV - Route to Watch - Pet' version -32757
from TelevisionGlobals
Prim state: 0
Params: Locals:
Frame 4:
Node: 3
Tree: id 8296 name 'Interaction - Pet - Watch' version -32748
from TelevisionGlobals
Params: Locals: 543
Frame 3:
Node: 12
Tree: id 8213 name 'Function - Main - Process Autonomy' version -32753
from PetGlobals
Params: Locals: 543 0
Frame 2:
Stack Object id: 805
Stack Object name: N001_User00144 - Liya
Node: 8
Tree: id 8221 name 'Function - Main - Loop' version -32755
from PetGlobals
Params: 1 120 Locals:
Frame 1:
Stack Object id: 0
Tree: id 8266 name 'Function - Main' version -32753
from PetGlobals
Frame 0:
Tree: id 4096 name 'Function - Main' version 4
from TemplateCat

This is the top of my most recent error file, ObjectError_N001_t1662619.txt located in My Documents\ea games\the sims 2\Logs. Apparently, this is caused by a cat (Stack Object name: N001_User00144 - Liya) attempting to watch a TV (Stack Object name: Television - Floor - Expensive - Left) that hasn't been updated for Pets... In this case, I need from Frame 5 down to Frame 2 to figure this out. Usually, you only need the top 2 or 3 frames.

katgirlgreen13
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:44 pm
Okay...what?
Sorry, could you explain that in normal everyday terms? I'm not that computerally wise...
Lol thanks for putting up with all this, Rose!

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:11 pm
Ok, to start at the beginning do you have a folder or directory named something like My Documents\ea games\the sims 2\Logs, or the Mac equivalent? Does it have files in it named ObjectError_N001_(bunch of stuff).txt?

katgirlgreen13
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:18 pm
Yeah I think I have four of those.

And one question–if I got rid of all the custom content in my game at once, what would happen to the sims that are currently using it? Like the sims that are wearing custom clothes? What would they be wearing if I got rid of it all and then went into the game?
Also, If I uninstalled Seasons and reinstalled it without any hacks or custom content, would that get rid of some of the problems like toddlers floating and petes sinking into the ground? Thanks.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:52 pm
katgirlgreen13 wrote:
Yeah I think I have four of those.

Ok, open the newest one, and copy and paste a large chunk of the top of the file into a post here. If you read down through it, you'll see names of Sims and objects (and a few things that are built into the game). Give me enough so I've got a chance of figuring out what's happening. Or come over to SunSims and attach the whole file...

Also in that folder, you may have a file named CustomContentObjects.txt. That file should list all your CustomContent. The stuff labeled "Overrides Game Behavior" or "Overrides Semi-Global" or "Overrides Global" or "Overrides Game Constants" are hacks. This will allow you to removed just your hacks if you do decide to remove your CC or part of it.

katgirlgreen13 wrote:
And one question–if I got rid of all the custom content in my game at once, what would happen to the sims that are currently using it? Like the sims that are wearing custom clothes? What would they be wearing if I got rid of it all and then went into the game?

I'm not sure. I think they'd have floating heads/invisible bodies or missing hair, whichever custom content they're using. Objects get replaced by a blue version of the object the custom object was cloned from.

katgirlgreen13 wrote:
Also, If I uninstalled Seasons and reinstalled it without any hacks or custom content, would that get rid of some of the problems like toddlers floating and petes sinking into the ground? Thanks.

If you must try this experiment:
1) Drag your Downloads folder out of your game. It needs to be completely out of your The Sims folder, like your Desktop or the top of your C: drive (or the Mac equivalent).
2) Start your game and make a new 'hood.

katgirlgreen13
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:03 pm
Quote:
Ok, open the newest one, and copy and paste a large chunk of the top of the file into a post here. If you read down through it, you'll see names of Sims and objects (and a few things that are built into the game). Give me enough so I've got a chance of figuring out what's happening.

Okay, here it is:

Build:
at Sep 8 2006,16:41:02

Object id: 395
name: N008_User00221 - Crystal
Stack size: 7
Error: Requesting to play an animation on an object for the third time
Iterations: 1
Frame 6:
Stack Object id: 407
Stack Object name: Idle - System
Node: 6
Tree: id 8196 name 'Idle - Animate - Idle Overlay' version -32717
from IdleGlobals
Params: 37 Locals: 0 0 0
Frame 5:
Stack Object id: 407
Stack Object name: Idle - System
Tree: id 8192 name 'Event - Animation Blending Out' version -32728
from IdleGlobals
Params: 9997 407 100 1 0 Locals: 0
Frame 4:
Tree: id -1 name 'No behavior' version 0
from
Prim state: 1
Frame 3:
Stack Object id: 395
Stack Object name: N008_User00221 - Crystal
Node: 2
Tree: id 281 name 'Wait For Notify' version 8
from global
Params: 1 0 Locals:
Frame 2:
Node: 7
Tree: id 8283 name 'Function - Main - Loop' version 96
from PersonGlobals
Params: -6 20 1 Locals: 0
Frame 1:
Node: 6
Tree: id 8193 name 'Function - Main' version 108
from PersonGlobals
Params: Locals: -5 20 0
Frame 0:
Node: 1
Tree: id 4096 name 'Function - Main' version 2
from TemplatePerson

Post Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:10 pm
Hm, that's not a bad one. Usually just means you've repeatedly told the Sim to do something that he or she couldn't do....

katgirlgreen13
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:49 pm
So what should I do?

Post Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:38 pm
Quote:
1) Drag your Downloads folder out of your game. It needs to be completely out of your The Sims folder, like your Desktop or the top of your C: drive (or the Mac equivalent).
2) Start your game and make a new 'hood.

This will tell you if your game files are corrupt (which would require a reinstall). If your game runs correctly, you have the fun job of putting your stuff back in bit by bit until you figure out which files are conflicting. You can use the Custom Content log to see which files are hacks and put those back in first.

katgirlgreen13
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:16 pm
Ok. Should I go in first and get everyone who's wearing or using custom content to get rid of it so they don't have invisible heads or whatever?

Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:12 pm
Not if you make a new 'hood!

Why is my game so messed up?? Help again, please!