Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic delicate subject
delicate subject
Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:37 am
Hi all.
I'm having a whale of a time skinning but - I need help for a rather adult question. I wanna make some nude skins. Can anyone help me with <whispers> nipples.... I can make a skin fine but how do I make good nipples that actually look like them and not like - orange blobs? Are people actually copying from photos? or is there a better way?

(If this is inappropriate here Greg please delete)
miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:49 pm
Probably the best way is to start with a photo and run it through a few filters until you get the quasi-realistic look that the game uses.

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:27 pm
Thanks, Rose smile

Grin
miros1
Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:22 pm
Anyone know when the GUID database will be up? I'm attempting to learn to hack objects, and you can't do that if you can't get a new GUID!

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:09 pm
Naw, I don't think it's inappropriate to discuss artists' techniques on a PG-13 BBS.

The UV Map tends to be stretched in the area of the nipples so you can't do as much detail as you'd like to make them very realistic, but you can at least come up with something much more attractive than the blank manniken.

I've had no luck at all with copying nipples from real photographs and adjusting them to a sims skin texture. I've made a lot of skin tones, but I'm pretty sure I abandoned every effort to adapt a photo. So, for me at least, it works best to hand-paint them. The same holds true for other anatomical details.

The stretched UV Map means that the aureolae will appear much larger on the model than they will in the flat texture, especially on Warlokk's bosomy meshes. So, make 'em smaller and try a few iterations.

To work out how they'll reallly look, paint your nude body skin onto an everyday outfit using a conforming body mesh first. That way you will see the actual body shape in Body Shop. Warlokk provides nude clothing meshes for all his meshes so that's very convenient.

Start with the original skin color and add very subtle variations in brightness and tint. Keep the saturation down. Although nipples attract a lot of mind share, in reality they tend to be quite close to the primary skin color.

Aureolae come in all sizes and shapes. In general, the larger they are, the closer they are to the primary skin tone. Darker ones tend to be smaller. Usually they have a bit more melanin, so they're darker, but sometimes you'll find some that are lighter.

Note how the shape maps onto the mesh. With Warlokk's meshes, you need a vertical oval shape in the texture to have a circular shape show up on the mesh.

Especially on Warlokk's meshes, the actual nipples only have four pixels mapped onto them so you have don't have much control over how they appear.

Add noise. You just need a tiny bit of noise but make sure that no two adjacent pixels have the exact same color.

Make them slightly darker at the bottom and slightly lighter at the top. Just a shade; the light doesn't always come from above.

Hmm... those are all the nipple techniques I can think of. Well, at least that don't involve physical contact. Grin

Maybe next week we can puzzle over how to do the dimples on the tushy.

miros1
Post Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:15 am
Greg wrote:
Maybe next week we can puzzle over how to do the dimples on the tushy.

Um, a smallish dot with the "emboss" filter applied?

Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:05 am
yeah, Rose, that's sorta what I've been doing but - I'd like something that looks a bit better smile
I'll keep experimenting. Just gettting to grips with layers at last so it could be a while.
I think hand-paint is probably the best way.
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:11 am
Layers will set you free! Grin

Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:56 am
yup. Thanks both for the tips, I used a bit of both and got the effect I wanted - a blob and emboss, noise and basically twiddling a bit Grin Oh yes, I like layers, but they are hard to learn. Had got some of the layers stuff from things on Hullaballoo and now I know a little more. Some kind person gave me templates with lots of layers built in, to play with. AND it turned out the Photoshot 7.0 didn't work the same as everyone else's Phtotoshop with layers, only found that out three days ago - there's a free upgrade to 7.0.1 that fixes that. So I wasn't being totally stupid after all, just had the wrong version of the software geek typical

(Making a female demon - she's coming on nicely flower
miros1
Post Posted: Sun May 27, 2007 2:29 pm
Thought I'd resurrect this thread...

I've found some nice skins that I want to Warlokkize, so Angelita can quit her job as my underwear model -- but the nipples are in the wrong place!

Other than 6 million iterations of moving them pixel by pixel, does anyone have any better ideas?

Or did some kind soul make a PhotoShop file of just nipples, similar to AllenABQ's file of just body hair?

Gotta try the dimpled tush thing tho!

delicate subject