Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic Zodiacal Attraction
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Zodiacal Attraction
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:48 pm
This is pilfered from a message that ZirconiaWolf posted in the thread about "Necessary Hacks" in the Discussions and Help section:

All I can gather from the Prima guide is that attraction is based on some (apparently very) complicated combinations of turn ons/offs, personality traits, aspiration type & of corse (the Maxis interpitaion of) their zodiac signs.

This- obviously- would "count" for more than 3 Bolts (which isn't even possible in the game) if the "counting method" made any sort of logical sense, so Lord only knows quite how Maxis programed the "attraction factor" in the game! (I still swear some of it's random! )

Also- aside from the "zodiac" signs- there is no real info (in the guide) as to exactly which trait conflicts with which! Turn ons/offs is pretty strait forword but just how "lazy" does a Sim need to be to be rendered un-attractive to a more "active" Sim (for example) isn't explained. (This is pretty wiered too, as those of you who are familuar with Prima guides will be VERY knowlegable about their almost cumpulsive use of charts/graphs/mathamatical calculations/etc for darn near everything else in the game! NOTE TO PRIMA: Yo guys, next time how about ditching the discriptions of EVERY piece of furniture in the game & tossing in an "Attraction Calculation Graph" or something???? )

Oh, just in case some of the folks out there don't have/want the Prima guide, here is how SIMS (1 & 2) determin the whole "ziodiac" attraction thing.........

THIS SIGN IS ATTRACTED TO IS REPELLED BY
Aries Gemini
Taurus
Cancer
Libra
Taurus Aries
Libra
Virgo
Cancer
Gemini Pisces
Virgo
Aries
Capricorn
Cancer Taurus
Scorpio
Gemini
Aries
Leo Sagittarius
Cancer
Capricorn
Gemini
Virgo Aquarius
Sagittarius
Taurus
Leo
Libra Cancer
Virgo
Pisces
Scorpio
Scorpio Pisces
Leo
Libra
Aquarius
Sagittarius Capricorn
Pisces
Scorpio
Libra
Capricorn Aquarius
Taurus
Leo
Gemini
Aquarius Sagittarius
Capricorn
Scorpio
Virgo
Pisces Gemini
Scorpio
Aries
Leo

-ZW

----------
Edit: Added color indicators
Mutual Attraction
Mutual Repulsion
Repulsed by someone who is attracted to me
Attracted to someone who is repulsed by me
Other person is neither attracted to nor repulsed by me.

-- Greg

Last edited by Greg on Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:59 pm; edited 8 times in total

miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:59 pm
I think "lazy," "sloppy," "shy," etc. are usually said to be less than 3, while "active," "neat," "outgoing," etc. are usually over 7. Of course, that doesn't explain the large middle ground...

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:11 pm
I suspect that there would be a complementary set of mutual repulsions, though I haven't waded through the table looking for it.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:42 pm
I started color-coding the chart.

Green is very good in the left-hand column, but bad in the right because it means there's a conflict in attraction and repulsion.

Red is very bad in the right-hand column, and bad in the left-hand column, as above.

Peake1981
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:35 pm
I have noticed a man and a woman of the same sign seem to be attracted to each other. In a RPG game, I remember in that game if you did an action (i.e. attack or spell) the odds were high say a Virgo guy did an action to a Virgo gal, but if the Virgo did an action to another Virgo guy the odds were quite poor. I don't if maxis did something similar with the attraction, I never really check my Sapphic Sisterhood couples if that was the case.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:41 pm
I have an example of a 3-bolt couple, Lester and Bethia. Lester was a Townie teen I grew up and sent to college with Bethia. Bethia was born in the game.

Lester is a Pisces, Bethia is a Gemini. Both are Knowledge Sims.

Lester's turn ons are Vampirism and Brown Hair (Bethia has brown hair) and turn off is Fat (Bethia is fit).
Bethia's turn ons on Fitness (Lester is fit) and Hats with body odor as the turn off.

Lester's stats are 5 neat, 3 outgoing, 7 active, 3 playful, 7 nice.
Bethia's stats are 5 neat, 8 outgoing, 9 active, 3 playful, 1 nice. (I just realized why Bethia has so few friends...)

Lester's interests are 7 politics, 9 crime, 7 food, 2 money, 1 entertainment, 3 health, 0 environment, 8 culture, 7 fashion, 9 sports, 6 work, 6 school, 5 paranormal, 1 weather, 4 toys, 2 travel, 4 animals, and 6 science fiction.
Bethia's interests are 7 politics, 7 crime, 8 food, 5 money, 1 entertainment, 4 health, 6 environment, 7 culture, 8 fashion, 6 sports, 8 work, 6 school, 6 paranormal, 8 weather, 1 toys, 3 travel, 3 animals, and 7 science fiction.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:55 am
Well, of course they have three bolts! They're science fiction fans! Grin

If anybody spots errors or omissions in the coloring in that table, please post a note in this thread so I can fix it! I think it's done!

miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:15 am
Lol, it's just weird that their personalities and interests are so similar.

Maybe that's why Sita's Bob and Betty didn't hit it off so well?

Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:57 am
Certainly in Sims 1 the interests were the problem. Do you remember, after installing Hot Date all the interests went to 0 until you took them Downtown and then reset?

Something like that seemed to happen with these two. I used my Bob and Betty Sims, and let the game do the interests without interfering with it. He looks like a guitar player to me, so he always gets a guitar and a motorbike smile but they are outside and don't disturb her sleep. (pity about the neighbours).

I haven't got them back in my game yet but from my very fallible memory, she's a Taurus and he's Cancer I think, which I believe is like in original game.
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:31 am
Sita wrote:
... she's a Taurus and he's Cancer ...

Oooooh... according to the star charts, that's not a good match! shocked

Zirconia Wolf
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:32 am
Greg wrote:
Well, of course they have three bolts! They're science fiction fans!

Rolling on the Floor Laughing

'Aint that the truth! True story: My mom used to run a fan club for Mr. Spock (the Spocktaculars) and needed to find someone in the printing business to help with her newsletter. My dad co-owned a printing press (and was also a writer/publisher for the imfamous* Cry of the Nameless fanzine. It was destiny!

From what I can gather from the "nattering" posts, many Sims Host people are SciFi and/or Fantasy fans too. Must be why we all get along so well!

On a "how cool is this" note, I must say I'm feeling all warm-n-fuzzy about something I posted actually being deemed of use to others! (Love the color-codes! ) Oh, here's something I should have added when I posted that chart.....

Quote from the Prima Guide : "Sims may befriend and fall in love with anyone but, due to inherent differences in Personality types, some combinations are harder or easier than others."

Maybe that explains the "Tarus/Cancer" attraction? Is it possible that "zodiac" signs take a back seat to other things???

-ZW

*Well, if you were a fan back in the 50's 0r (possibely) 60's, you would probably have heard of it. They even won a Hugo award!

Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:48 am
Personally, I think Bob was born to be a Grilled Cheese Sim....

Sita's whole point is that Bob and Betty really don't get along well. I know in Sims 1, Betty would make romantic advances and Bob would push her away. Took me forever to get a baby from that pair!

http://www.woodensimolean.simshost.com/users/BabyJane/ or the baby raised by BoneHilda!

Jane was a cute little kid anyhow. Even somehow inherited Dad's black hair!

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:09 pm
Golly, yes! I know of the Cry of the Nameless! I have never had the privilege of actually seeing an issue of that great legend of skiffy fandom, but I was very active in fandom in Seattle in the late Seventies!

A summary of my fannish credentials:
  • Chairman of the Seattle in '81 Bidding Committee
  • Founder of the Northwest Science Fiction Society
  • Founder and first chairman of Norwescon
  • Editor of Westwind for the first umpteen issues
  • Did this and that and everything else on sundry Worldcon committees
  • Founder of the Artemis Project and other bits of extreme fanac
  • Several novellas and such published in Analog

FIAWOL!

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:19 pm
It might be personalities, but it appears that the zodiacal signs play a major role in boltage.

One way to find out would be to create several sims with incompatible signs but compatible personality traits, and vice versa.

Sexual preference might come into play, too.

Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:45 pm
methinks I see a new Neighbourhood coming on....

and I love the story Rose, thanks!
Zodiacal Attraction