Zenmistress
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:31 pm
Oh yay...the uber-tubby! LOL

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:17 pm
miros1 wrote:
Lol, when I made that, my husband said, "Isn't 3 hours an excessive amount of time to put into a joke?" However, with the number of times I've dragged it out and posted it, I think it was pretty good return on my 3 hour investment!

I'd say so!

Hey, I've spend at much as three days on a joke! Rolling on the Floor Laughing

Nancy
The Spoiled Brat

The Spoiled Brat
Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:08 am
Quote:
Lol, when I made that, my husband said, "Isn't 3 hours an excessive amount of time to put into a joke?" However, with the number of times I've dragged it out and posted it, I think it was pretty good return on my 3 hour investment!

Gosh no!!!! Look at all the fun we've had in that hot tub!!!! bounce

nanci2121
WhiteSaber
Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:10 am
So I had said originally that I only had the core game. Lo and behold, I met my wife at the mall after work where she surprised me with a gift. Pets! (I, being the gamer, have longed for a game that my wife, not being a gamer, and I could both enjoy. Turns out she's nuts about the sims and when she saw that she could have a puppy in it, she got really excited, so I wonder if this was more for her than me, but I'm not complaining ;-)

I had thought there might be some possible complications not installing expansions in order, but it only took a short while and we were soon creating my wife's sim family a cute Chocolate Lab named Jessie.

Then, unrelated to the install, something miserable happened. I'm running the game on a Powerbook G4.(not sure what most people here use, but I assume most would be using PCs, and probably not laptops. I realize I'm not getting the most, graphically, out of the game, but so far performance hasn't been a big issue.) Anyway, some problem developed in the AC power connector on the laptop and the computer stopped charging while I was playing. Without power, the battery drains pretty quick while running the sims. So now I can't charge the laptop, and I can't get it to power on either. I'm taking it in to have it looked at today. Thankfully, I've got a care plan that should cover it. So no sims for me. Sigh.

All that to say, I was psyching myself up to post a story, but it will have to wait while the computer gets repaired. Hopefully that won't take long and I'll be able to relate the tale of Zack in Pleasantview soon. Maybe as a prelude, I'll give you the bio I wrote for him when I first got the game. I'll post it to stories.
miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:00 pm
EEK! Good luck at the repair place -- hopefully it's easy to fix.

I know a lot of people play on laptops; you just have to turn down some of the graphics settings.

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Ghostman
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:14 pm
I second Rose, also welcome even if I showed up a bit late.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:55 am
At least that answers one of my questions about what laptops will run The Sims 2. I can't even talk the game into loading on my hp laptop, so the option of turning down the display settings isn't there.

I have no idea at all what sort of graphics card Apple is putting into a powerbook G4 but if it's a fairly new one, I wouldn't be surprised to learn it's top-of-the-line stuff. Historically, today's Mac is next year's PC.

EA games tend to do weird things to monitors. The original The Sims turned my monitor on and off so many times that it eventually blew out the switch that controls the power to the monitor. (And darn, it was a fancy schmany Apple Studio monitor, back in the days when those were hot stuff.)

I'm wondering that it's doing the same thing to your laptop. There is no electronic cogwheel that can be wrecked by abusing it.

WhiteSaber
Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:49 am
It is a PowerBook G4, 1.67 Ghz. 15 inch screen. 1gb of ram and I think an ATI Radeon 9700 graphics card. Up until now, I've never had an issue with it. I bought it right before they introduced the new Intel Macs so it was the last line of powerbooks.

Gameplay wise, loading is quick and the graphics look good. The only real complaint is framerate problems. In the neighborhood view and on large lots with large houses, the game will get choppy. I've dumbed down some of the graphics options to medium and that helped a little. It also helps if I stay fairly close to the action and not zoomed out all the time. I did some research on it and it seems that the game puts a lot of pressure on the CPU for these kind of things so the only way to beef up the framerate would be to get a faster processor (such as something in the 3 or 4 Ghz range) which I can't do with the laptop, but maybe in the future with another computer.

But barring that, I don't need good framerate to take nice pictures and make stories. I haven't yet tried to make videos, but we'll see. My computer is in the shop for 3 to 5 days to get repaird from whatever went wrong with it, but I believe it to be unrelated to the game. Never expereinced any monitor going in and out problems.
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:51 am
The same thing happens on my big ol' Windows box with 1.5 GB RAM and dual 3.0 GHz P4 chips. If I got too many sims on a lot or just have a lot of stuff on a large lot, the game starts to slow down.

Something weird has happened to my graphics since I installed Nightlife and Open for Business. Rendering of some things--especially sims' clothing--is pixelated and blurred. I'm still trying to figure out what's causing that because it really messes up screen shots.

miros1
Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:39 am
Go into Game Options (the Gear icon) and see what got turned down.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:21 pm
miros1 wrote:

No joy. Everything is set to max.

WhiteSaber
Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:23 pm
I was uh, *cough*, a bit bored at work so I went all Ninja on the Nattering - Games board, adding my comments to some of the games. And I think I see that Greg has already followed up my game answers. Thanks for the distraction Hullabaloo!

Wish I could help you with the graphics, but I'm a bit clueless. Just missing my own computer now. Going through a bit of a Sims 2 withdrawal now, as is my wife. But LOST starts up again on ABC, so at least I'll have something to look forward to tonight. Cheers.
miros1
Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:24 pm
Greg wrote:
miros1 wrote:

No joy. Everything is set to max.

That's weird. Mine is nice and sharp and we have the same video card. I think your machine is better than mine in most other respects.

WhiteSaber
Post Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:24 pm
Well, I just got word that my computer has (finally) been repaired. I'll be picking it up tonight and one of the first things I'm gonna do (after fixing the license plates on the car I just bought) is play Sims 2 after a week hiatus! I'm excited. If I have time, I'll start my story in the Story forums.
Wren
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:39 pm
Yay! bounce Story time!

I should really get working on updating my story.*sigh*It's a hard life...