Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic Pets Patch Posted
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:18 pm
One example is the bug regarding Townies putting on clothes that they've just bought. JMP did write a hack to fix it, but he even says it's way kludgy, because the real problem is in the executable, not in any object or controller. He had to put up multiple dialogs (one to buy, one to wear) and do some other voodoo.

The good news is that no one's really complaining about the patch breaking the MATY hacks! Someone's having problems with SmartBeds, but I think someone is always having problems with SmartBeds.

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:17 pm
Greg wrote:

Sita, could it be a conflict between a patch and perhaps a fan-created mod that was supposed to fix something that was fixed in the patch, resulting in the fan mod unfixing whatever was fixed?

I'm sure it was something like that, Greg. I want a clean install so am working through, reinstalling one EP at a time and patching as I go. No hacks and - with a great deal of restraint - no downloads (yet). It helps that our server has been in pieces for much of the last two days and I am resisting temptation to put stuff back in from the disk.

Meanwhile, I'm building, my first love with Sims 2 anyhow.
Zirconia Wolf
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:10 am
miros 1 wrote:
The good news is that no one's really complaining about the patch breaking the MATY hacks! Someone's having problems with SmartBeds, but I think someone is always having problems with SmartBeds.

Well that's encouraging! If the Offical Patch actually helps things (like the Townie "quick change" thing, that I hadn't seen yet) and will still play nice with my favorite hacks, it might find a spot on my computer.

We shall see.

(I'm awaiting the verdict involving InSIM, InTEEN & the MTS2 hacks. )

I don't have any "smart beds" but I'm guessing that these are user-hacked to do something like asign them to a perticular Sim or something, right?

-ZW

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:27 am
Yep! It's a TwoJeffs hack from MATY. I really don't care who sleeps where since one of my houses is actually short a bed, but I keep the adults going with the Energizer so they only need a place to Auto-WooHoo.

Ghostman
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:03 am
I am afraid to dowbnload the patch. I remember Greg's bomb had something to do with one. My game runs just fine with the downloads I've been adviced to get from MATY in the Hullabaloo.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:20 am
I'm letting the hyper people at Maty break their games, then I'll figure out if I really wanna patch or not!

Will report back with what I find out...

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:21 pm
Yeah, what Rose said. Having learned my lesson with being a First Acceptor, I'm perfectly happy to allow those who like to tinker be the unofficial EA beta test team! lol

Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:47 pm
well, I reinstalled all the EPs today - each with its own patch. So far it works fine but I've yet to put my Hoods and downloads back in smile I figured since each patch seemed to fix different things that might be the way to go.

Like it or not Greg, we ARE the beta test team. Laughingly called "customers".
LooseChanj
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:28 pm
Greg wrote:
Yeah, what Rose said. Having learned my lesson with being a First Acceptor, I'm perfectly happy to allow those who like to tinker be the unofficial EA beta test team! lol

Well, if you people would keep proper backups, I can't imagine what the problem would be in patching/upgrading and if it blows up, rolling back! geek geek geek
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:32 pm
The problem with rolling back is that it takes an hour to make a backup and then several hours to reinstall the bally game if it gets hosed.

Another major problem is that the fatal bug that wipes out your game might not show up immediately. You can have a considerable investment of time and heart in your game before you see an expanding fireball in the sky.

LooseChanj
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:39 pm
Greg wrote:
The problem with rolling back is that it takes an hour to make a backup and then several hours to reinstall the bally game if it gets hosed.

Another major problem is that the fatal bug that wipes out your game might not show up immediately. You can have a considerable investment of time and heart in your game before you see an expanding fireball in the sky.

Psh, it only takes a few minutes to zip up the sims 2 dir, and I've ISO'ed all the install CDs so I only have to switch DVDs once. Installing only takes a few minutes.

Point the second: This is why you backup regularly.
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:09 pm
You did what to the install CD's?

LooseChanj
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:36 pm
Greg wrote:
You did what to the install CD's?

Made cd images of 'em, that I mount with MagicISO. I think I fit the base game, Uni, Nightlife, and OFB on one DVD. Doesn't work for playing the game, but it sure does speed up installation, especially if you keep them on your HDD, like I did till I needed the disk space.
Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:04 pm
You don't need to put em on disks, mine are on my hard drive. Installing is easy now smile
miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:11 pm
I think LooseChanj said he had them on hard drive until he ran out of drive space... I can identify with that...

Pets Patch Posted