Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic Playable v.s. UnPlayable Uni Sims????
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Playable v.s. UnPlayable Uni Sims????
Zirconia Wolf
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:28 pm
Well this is nuts.

I can fumble my way through scetchy Front Page tutorials, poorly worded Paint Shop Pro X classes & even the VERY scary SimPE program.....but darned if I am grasping the interworkings of Sim College life!

So here's a couple of questions for all you smart people out there:

1- The Prima Guide keeps refering to playable and un-playable Sims as two very distinct never-the-twain-shall-meet groups. As I always thought that any computer generated Sims were always able to be 100% playable (via a Move In/Engagement thing) this confusses me! So what gives?

2- How exactly do you use these "un-playable" Sims to "Hold" a Residence/Dorm/Greek House for future generations? As the "College Clock" is always ticking away don't they graduate on their own? Speaking of that freaky "College Clock"....

3- Do any of you use any hacks/mods/cheats/tricks in dealing with the "College Clock", and if so which ones? Also, do any of these tricks work on "away from home/dorm" lots too? (FYI: I do have the InTeenImator installed- as I wanted the WooHoo risk/etc enabled for Young Adults- if this is a factor. )

Thanks for putting up with what I'm sure are silly sounding questions!

-ZW

Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:13 pm
1) "Unplayable" Sims are also referred to as Dormies. When your Sim moves into a dorm and claims a room, several Dormies will come trotting in shortly and claim the other rooms.

If your Sim becomes romantically attracted to one of them, the best thing to do is Find Own Place/Move Out and choose the significant other to move out with you, then move into either the same lot or another house. Your other choice is to move into a private house on campus and ask the love interest to move in. The significant other is now a Playable Sim, same as a CAS created or born in game Sim.

Do not do this with a cheerleader or mascot. They will retain several of their more annoying behaviors even after you've got them graduated and moved back to the main hood. If you foolishly did this, there's directions on MATY how to make them into a normal Sim.

2) To "hold" a private house for other family members to move in free: Just ask a Dormie to move in. When the next family member is ready for college, move them in with the exDormie, and use Inge's bush or another hack to make the Dormie into a Townie (not Downtownie) so he or she will go back to being a Dormie.

No, Dormies do not graduate on their own. Even with all the homework and research they've done, when you make them playable, they're a first semester Freshman who probably needs a lot of remedial skilling too!

The College Clock only ticks when there's playable Sims on the lot and you're actually playing the lot.

3) I use JMP's College Clock gizmo. I really try not to cheat with it, just take finals earlier. But it's a life saver if you suddenly realize one Sim is missing skills and has no way to even pass without remedial help!

You can also use it to get an exDormie up to snuff so he or she will graduate with the original playable. Just let the original Sim take finals on schedule and have the exDormie take finals as soon as the meter is full.

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Zirconia Wolf
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:18 pm
Yipe!

I actually understood all that! cheers

Thankyou for the help/advice! (Especally the Cherleader/Mascot warning! Does anyone offer a Cheerleading style outfit for CAS Adult females? This would help with a family I am planning.... )

I'll have to go and find Inge's Bush. Sounds like a keeper!

Now that I understand the whole "Holding" thing, I can see where Dormies can become quite usefull! (I was actually thinking of installing the nodormieregeneration thing, but not now! )

Thanks again!

-ZW

Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:54 pm
Lol, the Dormies are my major source of spouses for the Sims who don't acquire a "steady" in high school!

With the noregen hack, my Dormie pool would be getting down to the really ugly ones now... throw some chlorine in that gene pool!

Another neat hack from MATY -- "Ask to Grow Up." This doesn't work too well to make Dormies into adult Townies, but it works great to make Townie teens into Dormies! They get a little "grow up" ritual and it even satisfies the "So-and-so comes to college" Want. You can also keep childhood friends the same age as your playables. Haven't used it to kill an elderly Townie yet tho.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:17 pm
Yup, I've ran into that same issue with dormies and NPC's not advancing in their school careers. You can use the Insimenator or Merola's Mind Control Mirror to get them to study and take final exams, but if you invite them to move in, they revert back to shiny new Freshmen.

That was frustrating because in one neighborhood I got both of the maids up to their final exam before making them playable characters, only to find all the effort had been wasted.

Zirconia Wolf
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:38 pm
Do etheir the "Ask To Grow Up" hack (which I don't yet have) or the InSIMinator (which I just installed) make it possible to grow up a regular Neighborhood child (Townie, NOT Uni/Dormie) into a Teenager? I've got a newly grown-up Teen boy in Pleasantview that was kinda sweet on a certain little (computer generated) girl in grade school, & would like to see if I could pursue their relationship further!

I've also got the InTeenimator, so things could get REAL interesting..... cool

-ZW

Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:44 pm
Yep, the Grow Up hack lets Townie children become Townie teens. I like to invite them to the playable child's birthday party and ask them during the party...

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:16 pm
Zirconia Wolf wrote:
Do etheir the "Ask To Grow Up" hack (which I don't yet have) or the InSIMinator (which I just installed) make it possible to grow up a regular Neighborhood child (Townie, NOT Uni/Dormie) into a Teenager? I've got a newly grown-up Teen boy in Pleasantview that was kinda sweet on a certain little (computer generated) girl in grade school, & would like to see if I could pursue their relationship further!

I've also got the InTeenimator, so things could get REAL interesting..... cool

-ZW

The Insimenator lets you set a sim to any age. You can also make any sim selectable, so that that sim can use the Insimenator.

To do that:
  1. Install the Insimenator
  2. In the game, click on the sim and choose "Selectable".
  3. Choose the spot where you want the Insimenator to appear (some spot the sim could walk to) and click. Choose "Spawn" and then The Insimenator.
  4. With the target sim selected, click on the horitontal glass thing on the Insimenator and set the sim's age.
That's all there is to it! The sim will grow up (or get younger) and the game will roll up some random clothing.

You can then delete the Insimenator from your lot after you've used it.

Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:26 pm
You don't need a hack to grow up a Townie child. Use the "agesimscheat on" cheat - though I wonder if this was added by Nightlife?
Zirconia Wolf
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:26 pm
I'll have to give the InSimenator trick a try!

Personally I'm actually partial to "3rd Party hacks" as opposed to the "Offical" Maxis/EA cheats for Sims 2. The Sims 1 cheats were short & easy to use/remember- think Rosebud or MoveObjects_on- where I find the ones for Sims 2 to be ridiculously (and un-necessarily) clumbersome.

boolProp testingcheatsenabled true???? Gimme a break! My dyslexia just laughs at me! (And makes me enter the friggen code 3 or 4 friggen times before I can get it right! )

-ZW

Post Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:51 am
Sita wrote:
You don't need a hack to grow up a Townie child. Use the "agesimscheat on" cheat - though I wonder if this was added by Nightlife?

Yes, it was added in Nightlife.

In University, you could spawn the Tombstone of Life & Death and "Set Age Young Adult."

In the base game, the TOLAD allowed you to choose any age (except, of course, for young adult).

Another option is to hunt down that multi-painting (can't recall who made it at the moment) and set "days left in age" to zero.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:54 am
Zirconia Wolf wrote:
I'll have to give the InSimenator trick a try!

Personally I'm actually partial to "3rd Party hacks" as opposed to the "Offical" Maxis/EA cheats for Sims 2. The Sims 1 cheats were short & easy to use/remember- think Rosebud or MoveObjects_on- where I find the ones for Sims 2 to be ridiculously (and un-necessarily) clumbersome.

boolProp testingcheatsenabled true???? Gimme a break! My dyslexia just laughs at me! (And makes me enter the friggen code 3 or 4 friggen times before I can get it right! )

-ZW

The trick lies in understanding what "boolprop" means. It's stands for "boolean property." A boolean variable can have a value of 0 or 1, false or true.

At the same time, "intprop" stands for "integer property" which of course requires an integer value.

I suspect that the programmers at Maxis weren't thinking of the cheat codes as standard user cheats. They wrote simpler versions of the ones they expect users to use all the time (such as move_objects) but I wouldn't be surprised if "move_objects on" were just a shorthand for something like "boolprop moveobjects true".

Zirconia Wolf
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:54 am
Yes, well it STILL bites when you're as dyslexic as I am! (And I truely am. No kidding around on this one! )

So far I have (thankfully) been able to find nice, easy to use 3rd party stuff that lets me do darn near everything I want to when it comes to messing with my Sims lives. (I have used your boolProp yada-yada true/false trick to adjust some daily/life time relationship bars though. Thanks very much for the excellent "how-to" you posted about it a while back! )

-ZW

Post Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:09 am
But do the cheats actually fulfill the "So-and-so goes to college" want? That and being involved with my playable are the two major reasons I wnt to age up a Townie teen.

Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:14 am
ZW - I'm dyslexic too. I have a web page where I copy the cheats from word for word and paste them into the cheat box! That works most of the time.

But yes, I prefer the game-objects for cheats too - though I never really got on with Merola's multi-painting. Somehow they feel a little less like cheats.
Playable v.s. UnPlayable Uni Sims????