Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic :tutorial: Expansion Pack Installation Order
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:10 pm
I successfully created a family and moved them onto a lot! I used the Star Line (Greg, Sheba, and Dallas) because I'm most familiar with them.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:16 pm
Is this thing going to whine about custom content every time I start it?

Zirconia Wolf
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:18 pm
Wren wrote:
You've now got to wait a very long time for it to create the subneighbourhoods.They really suck. confused
Edit:Just to try and scare you I'm going to mention the fact that when I installed OFB Bluewater deleted Pleasantview...

10 minutes?? Yikes! My PC has never taken that long, & I even have the oh-so-dreaded (but waaaaay over feared) Pets installed! After my last re-install (no PC problems, just me being strange) I got smart. I now have a nice little backup (zip) copy of all 3 original Neighborhoods (actually, my entire Sims2 folder) right after I assigned (and even "entered" briefly) all the sub-divisions. (This was all done before I installed my massive Downloads folder! It's about as fresh a copy as you can get! )

I figure it will save time should anything wiered happen with Seasons....which it WON'T because I have been praying freverantly to the PC Game Gods.

-ZW

Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:20 pm
Greg wrote:
Is this thing going to whine about custom content every time I start it?

Did you un-check the "display-message-at-startup" box? (Or something like that. )

That will take care of it!

-ZW

Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:23 pm
Oh! I must have overlooked the existence of the display-message-at-startup box!

I think it might have loaded a little bit faster the second time.

The OFB version of JM's Lot Fixer is really cool! It lets you pick a major when you "Upgrade Pre-Uni Sim" and even has a Batman symbol on it!

Zirconia Wolf
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:26 pm
Yes, that "Batman Box" has got to be about my favorite hack! LOVE the pre-Uni upgade feature!! It makes all those pre-made maxis familys alot more fun!

-ZW

Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:22 am
Now I'm playing with the new building stuff. There's not a lot new here, but the half walls are pretty neat and I didn't even know about the split-level foundation!

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:50 am
So far, so good! I'm getting one persistent error. I think it's coming from JM's "no shock for outgoing" hack. It's not fatal, though, so I can hunt it down at my leisure.

I guess the next test is to go to an preexisting neighborhood and try playing a house where I don't care if it gets blown away. There are a lot of those in the Meat Market, but maybe I'd better try one of my almost-never-played neighborhoods first just in case it blows away an entire neighborhood.

... which I did. I tested in in Hyglum, which I had intended to be an all-alien neighborhood but quickly lost interest in. No problems so far other than those intermittent script errors! Grin

Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:00 am
/me cheers quietly! cheers cheers cheers and crosses fingers.
miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:18 am
Greg wrote:
Oh! I must have overlooked the existence of the display-message-at-startup box!

I think it might have loaded a little bit faster the second time.

The OFB version of JM's Lot Fixer is really cool! It lets you pick a major when you "Upgrade Pre-Uni Sim" and even has a Batman symbol on it!

1) Make absolutely sure you've got custom content showing up.
2) It's in the "gear" screen.

Greg wrote:
Now I'm sure it's going to want to create a bazillion subneighborhoods. Nice music.

No, the number and types of subhoods is up to you. You make new ones with the buttons in the upper left corner of the 'hood screen. The only thing I did with Downtown and Blue Water Village recently was pack up the lots so I could install them in my own 'hoods.

Remember, you can use an extra Shopping District as a retirement village for Sims you don't want to kill, but don't want to play.

Greg wrote:
Aha! It looks like I'll need to quit and restart to get the custom content to show up.

Yup. We told you this eleventy-leven times. In bold print. And you forgot until you didn't see your favorite stuff. At least you remembered without panicing!

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:50 am
So far, the only weirdness I've encountered is the intermittent error on one of JM's scripts and the fact that it takes as long to load as The Sims 1 used to. I can live with a long load time.

Gotta remember to add the new registration numbers to my user profile on EA's site. I don't know why that's important but it seems to be important to them!

Zirconia Wolf
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:59 pm
Greg wrote:
So far, the only weirdness I've encountered is the intermittent error on one of JM's scripts and the fact that it takes as long to load as The Sims 1 used to. I can live with a long load time.

Really? I swear that Sims 1 (with all EPs) takes longer to load up than Sims 2 (with all current EPs) on my PC. What really still blows my mind is the fact that Sims 2 (unlike it's predeccesor) never crashes out on me. "Crash-outs" were a pretty regular things (for me) in Sims 1.....

Greg wrote:
Gotta remember to add the new registration numbers to my user profile on EA's site. I don't know why that's important but it seems to be important to them!

I normally do this too....but for some bizzare reason the Maxis/EA site WILL NOT except the code on my Sims 2 Holiday Edition (my "core" Sims 2 base) as being valid! It's the same code that I've entered (a couple times now) during the re-load prosess, but no dice. very sad

Actually the only thing that seems to come of registering Sims 2 packs is a "secret tip" via e-mail that I already know by having read the fansites/Prima guide, so....

** EDITED TO ADD: **
miros 1 wrote:
Remember, you can use an extra Shopping District as a retirement village for Sims you don't want to kill, but don't want to play.

Ohmygosh I never thought of that! What an awesome idea!

-ZW

Last edited by Zirconia Wolf on Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:35 pm
You need to register to get some of the downloads too.
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:42 pm
Yippee! Now when my sims look out at the view, they have a view to look at!

Anja, Neil, and Sheila on Anja's upper deck in the Meat Market
Gotta work on that landscape!
I linked the image to Anja's story. Warning: Adult content; adult site.

I need to update the camera mod. Where they heck did I get that? Thinking

Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:58 pm
Now you are beginning to see what we have been telling you all this time! NL is seriously COOL
hiding
:tutorial: Expansion Pack Installation Order