Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic Re-Coloring Objects??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:31 pm
Nope, you just make up a user name and give your email and they mail you a password. Inside SimPE, you go Tools->Preferences and the last page of that is where you put your user name and password.

SimsHost is great place to have a site if you're shopping for webhosting!

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Zenmistress
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:34 pm
Rose, do you mean register for the forum or for the blog thingie?

Zirconia Wolf
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:44 pm
Okay, cool- sounds easy enough to do!

miros1 wrote:
SimsHost is great place to have a site if you're shopping for webhosting!

**snicker** A little shameless self-promotion, eh? Actually, I was wondering just what the requirements are for being accepted into the SimsHost circle. I'm still brushing-up on my design/re-color skills. I was hoping to have all sorts of new-n-funky stuff actually designed before going "live", but this darned PaintShop Pro X has been whispering sweet nothings into my eager little ears & I am having trouble resisting the "gotta-post-it-NOW" urge!

Darned computer programs!

-ZW

Post Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:22 pm
Zenmistress wrote:
Rose, do you mean register for the forum or for the blog thingie?

She means "The Blog Thingie". I just (now) finished registering there. Even reserved my very own GUI block set! Yippy!

-ZW

Post Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:03 pm
'kay-thanks-that's what I thought.

I was already registered there, but forgot. shocked

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:35 pm
Fascinating question! What are the requirements for being accepted into the SimsHost circle? That is, what does it take to get me to set up a web space for you?

Let's see... you have to:
  1. Want to have your own web site for The Sims and be serious about your intent to maintain and update it.
  2. Do your own webcraft. (We don't have a fancy schmancy authoring tool.)
  3. Make things for The Sims. (Otherwise there's no point.)
  4. Agree to the Rules For Hosting.
  5. Figure out how to fill in the data on this form and send it in a plain-text email.

That's about it. Most of it is covered in the notes about Hosting Services, Rules For Hosting (which is the only hosting contract we have), and Get Hosted.

The only reason for that note about being serious (in item a above) is that it costs me about $25 out of my pocket to set up a web site in addition to the time. Something like half the web sites I've set up never happened, and SimsHost is already losing more money than I can afford, so I'm becoming more shy about it.

It would also be wise to plan to promote your web site yourself. That mostly means posting update notices hither and yon. If everyone just relies on the SimsHost Chronicle and update notes in the Hullabaloo, we're just preaching to the choir.

We try to keep SimsHost as free and open as we possibly can, but there is a darker side. We've discovered that there's another requirement that we didn't anticipate when we started this. Perhaps it's more of a personality trait than a requirement: You have to be able to brush off trolls.

If you open a site on SimsHost, it's very likely that trolls will descend upon you whining about a "pay" site. Some of these are just incredibly greedy people who want others to pay for their luxuries, but there are others we've been able to trace back to more expensive sites that would like to see SimsHost go under. They create multiple sock puppets and start emailing you from all those personalities at the same time.

What that really means is that you have to be able to recognize troll notes in your email for they are, and not take them seriously. If you find someone sucking up to you and wanting to be your best friend (often as not with an amusing sob story that would put a downtown panhandler to shame), and then that same person suddenly starts whining with righteous indignation about "pay" sites, take a clue.

miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:00 pm
I think the founding sites had to have 2 meg of downloads to start, (which is nothing with Sims2 stuff).

I remember madly recoloring a fridge on Memorial Day so I'd have my 2 meg!

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:53 pm
miros1 wrote:
I think the founding sites had to have 2 meg of downloads to start, (which is nothing with Sims2 stuff).

I remember madly recoloring a fridge on Memorial Day so I'd have my 2 meg!

Your memory is better than mine, Rose! I was thinking we had a policy that we'd host any site of any size. Maybe it was a goal that all the founding sites were working for?

Zirconia Wolf
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:35 pm
Greg wrote:
Fascinating question! What are the requirements for being accepted into the SimsHost circle? That is, what does it take to get me to set up a web space for you?

Let's see... you have to:
  1. Want to have your own web site for The Sims and be serious about your intent to maintain and update it.
  2. Do your own webcraft. (We don't have a fancy schmancy authoring tool.)
  3. Make things for The Sims. (Otherwise there's no point.)
  4. Agree to the Rules For Hosting.
  5. Figure out how to fill in the data on this form and send it in a plain-text email.

Hmmm. Let's see now.....
a) Yes, that is my (future) plan. Promise not to bug you untill I'm ready.
b) Shouldn't be a problem soon. (I am learning Front Page as we speak....er, type! )
c) Yes, kinda figured that might be a bit important!
d) No problem.
e) Will do....just as soon as I am ready!

Greg wrote:
The only reason for that note about being serious (in item a above) is that it costs me about $25 out of my pocket to set up a web site in addition to the time.

Ohmygosh! shocked I don't have a problem paying for that if you want!
Rest asured that I will NOT be "going live" untill I have got all (well, most) of my ducks in a row!

Greg wrote:
Perhaps it's more of a personality trait than a requirement: You have to be able to brush off trolls.

I don't forsee any problems there etheir. In my "other life" I'm a rather vocal proponent of people's right to not be parents, which seems to bring ALOT of Troll/Flamers out of the proverbial woodwork. We wolves are remarkably flame proof! cool

Greg wrote:
If you open a site on SimsHost, it's very likely that trolls will descend upon you whining about a "pay" site.

Yes, well bully for them. It's amazing how people can be so generous when it comes to other people's time & money! confused

Looks like (when the time comes) I should be able to pass the "exam" with flying colors! Now if you'll excuse me, I've got some re-coloring to get to.......

-ZW

Post Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:29 am
lol If I didn't manage to discourage you with that, it must be a good idea! Grin

Don't worry about the setup costs. I'm happy to do that for real sims sites; it's sort of what I do! If a new site attracts just a handful of new subscribers it's a break-even in cash flow anyhow.

Zirconia Wolf wrote:
It's amazing how people can be so generous when it comes to other people's time & money!

Quite nicely put! My problem with the complaints about "pay" sites is really the consequences of it. It means that only wealthy people can have Sims sites. I'm particularly sensitive to that from viewing the vast graveyard of closed sites in the Ultimate Sims List. I don't have any statistics but I'd guess that about 9 out 10 of the really great Sims sites have been driven off line by hosting costs.

FrontPage will work. Normally we don't support FrontPage Extensions but I think our hosting service (pair Networks) will install them for us if we request it for a specific site; but from what I've heard, it's just easy (or maybe easier) to not use the Extensions.

I've never used an authoring program so that's an area where I'm totally clueless. Our WebSite Director system has a Java-based WYSIWYG editor built in, but I have never been able to get the hang of it. Still, you can create some really beautiful web pages with some of those authoring programs, much prettier than anything I've ever done. I'm particularly impressed with things created in Dreamweaver, but that is the extent of what I know about it.

Zirconia Wolf
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:12 am
Whew! I'm glad to hear that FrontPage is okay! Should have asked that first but..... geek

Don't know anything about FrontPage Extensions....just sticking to "regular" old FrontPage as it is something that looks like I will be able to actually learn! (That & my sister, the web-site expert in our house, uses it for her truely awesome click-n-take cyber pet adoption site. I figure if it can handle all the stuff she pulls off, I should be set for life! )

Okay, back to my SimPE studies......

-ZW

Post Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:08 am
Greg wrote:
Your memory is better than mine, Rose! I was thinking we had a policy that we'd host any site of any size. Maybe it was a goal that all the founding sites were working for?

Maybe it was a goal rather than a rule, and I was very close anyhow, with just the few downloads from my old Tripod site! Remember, I was doing fridges and hot tubs at the time... and they're big files for Sims1.

BTW, FrontPage Extensions is an invitation to getting hacked. St. Bonaventure University insists they need it on the server to teach it. Actually, there's a few professors that can't tell the difference between tools and crutches, and are willing to have every index.html file on the entire server wiped out periodically by hackers to keep their crutch intact.

Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:10 am
When I had my site on Simshost I ran it with Front Page - but I never usedd the extensions, because I used the same system at work and was always refused extensions there for the same reasons - security.

It's very possible to do good stuff with FP without them, and in fact I run SimEchoes now with no extensions too, as my current webhoster (my son!) would have kittens if I tried to use them.

http://simechoes.org

Last edited by Sita on Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Zenmistress
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:37 am
And, of course, someone is always here to help! We're good like that. wink

Zirconia Wolf
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:24 am
Yikes! Hackers???????

I had no idea that "extensions" were so dangerous.....OR that they were part of FrontPage!

(Makes mental note to self to avoid ever even learning about the "extension" features......)

-ZW