Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic No-Townie-Regeneration Question...
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Zirconia Wolf
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:54 pm
By "disk performance" are you refering to Hard Drive or the actually CD Drive??

If you mean CD Drive, how does one go about determining how "good" their CD Drive is performing?

-ZW

Post Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:04 pm
I have a question about townie regeneration. I started a new neighborhood for a genetic experiment I've been thinking about conductiong. I do NOT have notownieregen installed because I want to regenerate them, just sick of seeing the same cookie cutter people in every neighborhood. I deleted all characters after adding Bluewater Village and a university and downtown neighborhood, but when I sent my sim downtown, it was just the sim and the wait staff! I waited around forever for someone else to show up, and finally went back home. My Welcome Wagon dialog popped up and I said yes out of desperation, but no one ever showed. I had a jogger run by and the NPC paperboy show up, but no regular townies/downtownies. Is there something I'm missing to force them to regenerate?

miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:39 pm
You just need to keep going back downtown. The first townies are slow to pop. This is why I usually start hoods like that with a college student in a medium size dorm, to force creation of 7 or 8 Dormies.

Remember Greg's poor Sim who almost died of loneliness before hooking up with a teenager?

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Zirconia Wolf
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:42 pm
Okay so it's Downtown that controls those guys eh?

Interesting.....

-ZW

Post Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:13 pm
I think advancing career levels might generate them, too. The game seems to create new townies as required, so if the sim rolls up bringing a friend home from work and it doesn't have one, it will create one.

miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:45 pm
Err, I mistyped. I meant keep going to a community lot. If you go Downtown a lot, you get more Downtownies, not more Townies!

Greg wrote:
I think advancing career levels might generate them, too. The game seems to create new townies as required, so if the sim rolls up bringing a friend home from work and it doesn't have one, it will create one.

Yes, but you want to remove the nofraternization hack if you've got it. That's the one that prevents people from bringing home coworkers.

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:05 am
That must be one of JM's hacks that didn't appeal to me. I haven't installed any of his anti-NPC hacks.

LooseChanj
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:02 pm
Zirconia Wolf wrote:
By "disk performance" are you refering to Hard Drive or the actually CD Drive??

If you mean CD Drive, how does one go about determining how "good" their CD Drive is performing?

-ZW

Hard drive, the Sims doesn't even access the cd other than to determine if it's "legal". Once the game is running try popping it out! Doesn't make one bit of difference.
Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:13 pm
Well when my CD drive starts to chew up my Sims disks it is time to get a new one....

But for hard drives, well, ask a tame techie. Mine is making ominous noises now but it's a new drive and it's huge so I don't want to swap it out... though it does make horrible noises on startup, as if it is preparing to take off. My tame techie (my older son) says the noise is just the fan. I'm not convinced so I back everything up. I'm sure there are utilities out there that will tell you everything about your drive, what temperature it's running at, how many camels you can fit into it, etc, if you like numbers.

The only real rule of thumb for Sims and Sims 2 is that if the game is running slowly, jerkily or it's crashing, it might be that your drive is full, needs defragging, or even you need a better one. Faster shouldn't be an issue, I think - this game doesn't use anywhere near the resources some games do.
More RAM usually helps too.
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:37 pm
I think your tame techie might be right. My machine machines really wretched noises at startup. I was afraid it was the disk drive but it turned out to be the fan for the power supply.

Zenmistress
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:13 pm
Greg wrote:
I think your tame techie might be right. My machine machines really wretched noises at startup. I was afraid it was the disk drive but it turned out to be the fan for the power supply.

Ditto...

No-Townie-Regeneration Question...