Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic No-Townie-Regeneration Question...
Goto page 1, 2  Next
No-Townie-Regeneration Question...
Zirconia Wolf
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:15 pm
Since MATY is down (again) I was wondering if anyone here knows if the NoTownieRegeneration mod (which prevents the game from re-filling any Townie slots in the advent of a death/move-in/marriage) affects the ability to access the Adoptable Baby/Kid/Teen pool via telephone?

Thanx

-ZW

Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:34 pm
No idea. I use the deleteallcharacters/cleanup with SimPE method, so I actually want Townies to regenerate.

I also grow up Townie kids when my playables want their teen friends to come to college, so yes, they need to be replaced!

I think MATY is kind of down for the count. JMP was collecting money to rent a dedicated server last I knew, so they might be in the middle of transfering to the new server.

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Zirconia Wolf
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:13 pm
I plan on adding the Townie (kids, at least) into my hoods.....just didn't want zillions of them floating around, so there will be room for any Sims that I (or my Sims) decide to make. I have visions of an hour-long load time after a few generations.....

Not sure what the "character limits" (if any) are for Sims 2, but I want to make sure there is room for the Sims I am actually playing, not just countless "walk-bys"......

(Pretty much the same reason I have the NoStrayReSpawn hack too....although that has more to do with my own feelings about "people" who dump their pets! Grrrr... )

Although maybe Townies are handled different that Strays....I don't really know! (Just sounded like a hack i would want! )

-ZW

Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:17 pm
Oops!

Forgot to say thanks for the info about MATY. (It was always a hit-and-miss site as far as loading, for me anyway! )

Hopefully it will be up again soon....despite the "not-so friendly" feel, the hacks were some of the best ones out there!

-ZW

Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:23 pm
Zirconia Wolf wrote:
I plan on adding the Townie (kids, at least) into my hoods.....just didn't want zillions of them floating around, so there will be room for any Sims that I (or my Sims) decide to make. I have visions of an hour-long load time after a few generations.....

Not sure what the "character limits" (if any) are for Sims 2, but I want to make sure there is room for the Sims I am actually playing, not just countless "walk-bys"......

(Pretty much the same reason I have the NoStrayReSpawn hack too....although that has more to do with my own feelings about "people" who dump their pets! Grrrr... )

Although maybe Townies are handled different that Strays....I don't really know! (Just sounded like a hack i would want! )

-ZW

Some of the MATY people claim they've got a thousand Sims in their hood with no problems. Other people claim that you can start having problems at 200 or so. Probably depends on if you've loaded in packaged Sims who dragged their friends along. FWIW, I have 103, including Sims, NPCs, Townies, Dormies, Pets, Strays, Wolves, etc.

Strays and Townies are basically the same thing, as far as I can tell, except Townies are bipedal, don't dig holes in your lawn, and can be invited to visit.

I feel the same way about strays. If I have a particularly nasty Sim, I might have him or her "dump" a litter of kittens and torture him or her for doing it for a few weeks... but I sure don't want Maxis making that decision for me! Right now, I've got one large dog and one cat in my adoption pool (maybe, my Sims decided to adopt the dog), although I thought I left about 6 assorted Strays after my pruning attempt.

Zirconia Wolf
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:31 pm
Hmmm.

More things to ponder.

Actually, I might remove the "Townie" hack for now, & just keep an eye on things vie SimPE. Sounds like you can do ALOT of "pruning" (if needed) with that program. Cutting down the Stray population sounds good too! Is this fairly easy to do with SimPE?

-ZW

Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:48 pm
Within my experience, the problems aren't due to the sheer number of sims, but rather the number of unknown and corrupted sims in a neighborhood. If you download a house that has corrupted sims in it, they might be game-crashers such as what I had when my game got hit by The Bomb.

The number of sims might also depend on how much RAM you have. The game seems to load everything into RAM whether it needs it or not.

miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:41 pm
Zirconia Wolf wrote:
Hmmm.

More things to ponder.

Actually, I might remove the "Townie" hack for now, & just keep an eye on things vie SimPE. Sounds like you can do ALOT of "pruning" (if needed) with that program. Cutting down the Stray population sounds good too! Is this fairly easy to do with SimPE?

-ZW

Well, I seem to have overachieved and lost the 6 I meant to keep, but yes, it's easy. I think I ended up with one townie with a SCOR resource (pet skills learned), but that doesn't seem to be causing any problems.

Zirconia Wolf
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:54 pm
Greg wrote:
Within my experience, the problems aren't due to the sheer number of sims, but rather the number of unknown and corrupted sims in a neighborhood. If you download a house that has corrupted sims in it, they might be game-crashers such as what I had when my game got hit by The Bomb.

The number of sims might also depend on how much RAM you have. The game seems to load everything into RAM whether it needs it or not.

Unknown Sims?!?
Corrupted Sims?!?

Yikes!

How do you know if you have any of these, & can anything be done to get rid/fix them???

I have never downloaded ANY lots from anywhere (perfer to make my own) so am I still at risk of getting these "broken" Sims??

-ZW

(Currently have 2.5 GB of RAM.....but the stupid game STILL limits my parties to 2 freaking guest!!!! )

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:53 pm
As far as party guests go, I think it's more tied to your video RAM rather than your system RAM. I know when I added RAM to my laptop it didn't really do much in changing how the game ran. Since it is a laptop, I don't have a video card and use integrated video memory, which is running at 128 MB, and that is taken from my 512 MB of RAM. Even adding another gig didn't change performance for me, so I don't think that was my issue. I plan on getting a super laptop with better video memory and a faster CPU with my tax refund if possible, so I hope my game runs better then!

If you want more party guests and your computer will handle it, I've seen cheats that will let you do it. In the neighborhood screen, type: intProp maxNumOfVisitingSims xx (replacing xx with the max number you want).

Zirconia Wolf
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:06 pm
Thanks for the info on party guests! I'll have to try it!

My PC is (currently) a Pentium 4, 2.8 GHZ with 2.5 GB RAM with my beloved NVIDIA Ge Force 5700 LE dedicated graphics card that has 250 MB of it's own RAM. The fact that this isn't "enough" to break the 2-guest limit makes me wonder whatinthehell kinda computers Maxis/EA think we all have!

I am considering an upgrade soon, as I just bought a NVIDIA Ge Force 7300 GS card (with 512 available RAM) that- saddly- won't fit in any of my trusty old ASUS mother-board's PCI slots (needs a newer PCI "express" slot) so I'll need **sniff** to etheir get a whole new PC, or consider a "heart transplant" for my current one.

With Seasons comming out soonish, an upgrade might be in order anyway....

-ZW

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:08 pm
Zirconia Wolf wrote:

Unknown Sims?!?
Corrupted Sims?!?

Yikes!

How do you know if you have any of these, & can anything be done to get rid/fix them???

I have never downloaded ANY lots from anywhere (perfer to make my own) so am I still at risk of getting these "broken" Sims??

-ZW

(Currently have 2.5 GB of RAM.....but the stupid game STILL limits my parties to 2 freaking guest!!!! )

The #1 source of bad Sims is downloaded houses or moving occupied houses from 'hood to 'hood. I think the game can corrupt Sims from time to time, but it's more likely to be of the Firey Blast Visible From Space variety than a corrupt Sim.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:52 am
In my game, the number one source of unknown and corrupted sim is copying houses with families from one of my own neighborhoods to another.

If you export a house that has sims living in it and import it into another neighborhood, every person they have ever known or heard gossip about will cause a new "unknown" sim to be created in your new neighborhood. If you had sims living in the house and move them out, the sims who were living there will be "unknown" sims.

Something causes these unknown sims to become corrupted. It might be if a sim tries to interact with them, or if you delete the file for the unknown sim.

You can also get corrupted sims by importing a sim from the wrong version of the game. Pets is especially bad about that. If someone has created a sim using Pets and you try to import it, you will get a game-crasher corrupted sim.

You can find unknown sims by using SimPE to look at characters in your neighborhood, especially the Neighborhood/Memory table.

It its always safe to delete memories that refer to "Unknown".

If you delete an "Unknown" sim, but leave memories of the uknown sim, they will be re-created as sims gossip about them. This seems to be a major source of corrupted sims, game crashes, and other anomalies. The trouble is, to delete all memories of an unknown sim requires going through every memory file for every sim in the neighborhood, meticulously deleting all references to it. That includes every obscure NPC you've never seen because they just might have walked by a community lot and heard some gossip about the unknown sim.

Zirconia Wolf
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:34 pm
Oh holy $%@# !!

Every Sim in the game??!! shocked

Well forget that! (Life's to darned short! )

Since I have never downloaded any lots or ever intend to be doing any "neighborhood-swaping", I'm going to cross my fingers & hope for the best!

-ZW

Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:35 pm
Kaylyn wrote:
As far as party guests go, I think it's more tied to your video RAM rather than your system RAM. I know when I added RAM to my laptop it didn't really do much in changing how the game ran. Since it is a laptop, I don't have a video card and use integrated video memory, which is running at 128 MB, and that is taken from my 512 MB of RAM. Even adding another gig didn't change performance for me, so I don't think that was my issue. I plan on getting a super laptop with better video memory and a faster CPU with my tax refund if possible, so I hope my game runs better then! want).

IMO the main bottleneck factor is usually disk performance.
No-Townie-Regeneration Question...