Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic Railroad Tycoon 3
Railroad Tycoon 3
Peake1981
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:00 pm
Have any of you guys played Railroad Tycoon 3?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Railroadtyccon3_screen2.jpg

Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:17 pm
Can't say that I have played any of the RailRoad Tycoon games yet.

Are they anything like the old RailRoad Works (of C64 fame) or.....?

-ZW

Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:29 pm
My son played Railroad Tycoon 2 and liked it a lot. I think he's too involved with Eve ONline now to do RT3. Is it good?
miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:30 pm
I have Sid Meier's Railroads.

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Peake1981
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:07 pm
I own both RT2 and RT3. RT3 has more locomotives, different freight cars, and maps. It is easier to play RT3 with a feature that the player tells the train to haul any cars, only freight, or only express (mail & passenger) cars. I like that I can build tunnels or viaducts in RT3, you can do that with RT2.The graphics are pretty good. I have read about "Sid Meier's Railroads!" on the internet and it sound like its more like RT2 in game play. "Railroads!" a lot fewer, like a quarter compared to RT3 or a half of RT2, of locos and car types. Zirconia Wolf, I don't know about that. My first train game was RT2. I know it is made by the same company as Rollercoaster Tycoon, but I never played Rollercoaster Tycoon.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:15 am
Hm. He has a birthday coming up.... hehe smile Thanks.
Zirconia Wolf
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:21 pm
Opps, sorry! I forget that not everyone out there grew up on the C64 game expiriance! embarrassed

What I meant by that cryptic (if you never played RailRoad Works) queary was to ask if RT3 was the kind of game where you get to build tracks, select the type of train(s) , put in "stations" where you can pick up/drop off people, cattle, coal (etc) & then get to basically play a "virtual" mini model railroad (like RailRoad Works was played), OR if it was something that makes me be a "character" in the game (like a conducter) & tries to boss me around???

I perfer games (like The Sims, Black&White, Childeren Of The Nile, etc) where I get to be "The All Powerfull Hand/Arrow/Pointy-Thingy" that gets to basically play God with whatever poor souls inhabbit the game-in-question, rather than ones (like Tropico, Restraunt Tycoon etc) that make me watch/play as an annoying, pre-generated "supposed-to-be-me" computer character.

If that clears anything up at all....... confused

-ZW

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:10 pm
Yep, that's a good description. You're a god(dess) building your railroad.
Meanwhile the computer is playing opponents trying to defeat you.

In Railroads! you're actually better off with 2 AI opponents. They tend to pick on each other while leaving you alone and you can pick them off individually.

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Peake1981
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:45 pm
Zirconia Wolf, RT3 is like that but you also have to deal stocks, bonds, and factories needing stuff before they'll produce stuff to ship. My friend who this game plays like a conductor, knowing what is where and where it needs to go. I, on the other hand, play like a railroad baron, wanting to expand, dealing with big factories & cities, and not being bothering little towns.

I never seen or used a C64. My family's first computer, in 1988, was a Epsion Apex with a 8088 cpu and the next one was pentium 75mhz, 1995.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:30 am
Hmmm.

After hearing about it, I might just have to give the RT series a try! Sounds like my cup of tea! (a.k.a a "souped up" RailRoad Works! )

You never even got to see a C64?! You poor deprived thing you! I credit (blame) that computer for turning me into the game-addict I am today! (Actually, we had a C128 but you had to put it in "64 Mode" to play any games on it! ) Seriously, all the best games (back then) were C64 ones! I've even gone so far as to download a "C64 Emulator" program for my PC & downloading games from the archive sites t play when the "retro urge" strikes. An emulator program basically gives your PC a temperary lobatomy, so you can "trick" it into playing virtual "floppy disks" you download on you computer. Even managed to find a copy of my all-time (retro) favorite Bellow The Root. (It was the very 1st "role play" type game that actuall let you be a girl! As a she-wolf pup, I thought this was great! )

**sigh**

Ah, the memories!

-ZW

Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:13 am
I know what emulator are... I have had one for PS and one for SNES for 6 years. The SNES is basic emulator, the PS one uses the CD drive to PS CDs. I enjoy play Final Fantasy Tactics on it, but that is a RPG and I shouldn't talk about that here.