Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic Download Dillema
Download Dillema
Wren
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:56 am
Yep,it's me with another problem! embarassed
How do you package stuff up and shove it on the web so people can download it?I have some stuff I want to let people download and have no clue how to do it.Actually,I have no clue how to do much! Grin
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:08 pm
There are two steps here:
1. Prepare the file as a download.
2. Get it on the net where other folks can download it.

Preparing the File as a Download

The procedure for packaging up the file varies a little bit depending on what you're packaging up, but the basic procedure is the same: You find the Sims 2 file (usually a .package file, but in the case of whole characters it's a .sims2pack file) and drop it onto WinZip to zip it up.

I have a trick I always use when making a zip: I copy the filename of the .package file, without the extension. Then when I drag the file onto WinZip and it asks for a filename, I paste the filename. It's easier that retyping the filename.

You can alternatively use the proprietary .rar format (using WinRAR) instead of .zip. That can be especially important for very large downloads like whole sims because .rar archives are considerably smaller that .zip when the files get really big.

You will also want to make picture to display the download. Usually I just do an in-game screen shot: frame the scene I want to capture and use "C" to capture the image.

Getting the Download on the Net

Getting it on the net so other people can download involves either (a) finding a webmaster who can host it for you, (b) creating your own web site, (c) finding a site with a BBS system that supports attachments, which our phpBB system doesn't, or (d) increasing the pressure on me to install a BBS system that does support attachments.

The easiest of those four options is (d). That's two folks who've wanted to do this in the past week, so I'll just do it.

I think what I'll do is install a new BBS on our server, only loosely affiliated with SimsHost. Instead of requiring SimsHost subscriptions for downloads, I'll put up a begging button, leave the downloads free for everyone who joins the board, and see if it can support itself that way.

In the mean time, if you have something you'd like to make available at the Hullabaloo, you can email it to me and I'll put it in the Hullabaloo's web space. That's what we did with Ada.

Wren
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:17 pm
Thank you for the instructions! not worthy
<Runs off,mumbling about houses and Winzip>

Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:35 pm
Greg wrote:

I think what I'll do is install a new BBS on our server, only loosely affiliated with SimsHost. Instead of requiring SimsHost subscriptions for downloads, I'll put up a begging button, leave the downloads free for everyone who joins the board, and see if it can support itself that way.

I think that would be mighty popular.
miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:33 pm
Wren wrote:
Thank you for the instructions! not worthy
<Runs off,mumbling about houses and Winzip>

Houses are a very good candidate for WinRar. They be HUGE!

You have two choices with custom objects:

1) Leave 'em in and add a note on what came from where. Even people who allow their stuff to be redistributed want that note!
2) Use Clean Installer to remove anything but the House itself, and include a note about what came from where.

At any rate, you should use Clean Installer to remove any hacks from the packaged house. You should also not package houses immediately after installing new custom content. It will probably end up in the house whether or not you actually used it.

Just double click the house. It will open in Clean Installer. You should have a "lotsegment" and probably a bunch of other stuff. Uncheck everything else and click Save. In the file selection dialog, [b]change the file name[b] or you'll get an empty and corrupt Sims2Pack.

Once you've cleaned up the file, then it's ready to be zipped or rar'ed. I usually right click my files and run my compression utility from the context menu.

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Wren
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:20 am
How do you get the package files for houses?I've managed to package up some clothes and a sim but looked in all my folders for houses and can't seem to find anything.Is it different for houses? confused
Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:14 am
Yes. For houses you look in the Neighbourhood Screen at the house, then choose Info button which expands the window. Then you should get an option to Save as File or Send to Exchange. Once you have Saved as - it exports the whole house with any inhabitants to a file, it tells you where it has saved it, usually in \the Sims\Packaged Lots.
You can then safely move the file out of there, put it into a Zip file, or a Rar, and send it\upload it etc.
Wren
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:17 am
Thanks!Now I just need something to package up and upload! geek
miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:43 am
BTW, you really want to zip Sims2Skin or Sims2Pack files -- they've got enough XML inside them to trick IE into thinking they're XML files.

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Download Dillema