Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic Student Bought a Television
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:31 pm
I can only guess what they mean, but I do have a guess.

When I'm playing a house or dorm on campus and all the students have graduated, I'll often bring in a character that I don't intend to play and leave her there as the sole tenant. That keeps the photo album going and also prevents the game from deleting all the stuff in the house.

Example: In the Tales of Happy Valley, the star line Bennetts went to college (Chapter 32) and brought their whole family with them. I built Manse Collegium on campus just for them.

After developing Manse Collegium during several simdays of game play, I didn't want the game the mess it up when they graduated (Chapter 63) and moved home. I also didn't want the game to delete the photo album.

So I left Gloria and Penelope behind as a tenants. They were still there when Barry grew up and went to college (Chapter 131), and eventually Barry ended up marrying Gloria (Chapter 160).

By that time, a whole new crop of Sheba's kids were living in Manse Collegium.

So on the campus at Happy Valley University, Manse Collegium continues, intact, and its photo album continues to tell the tales of all the mischief it has seen over the generations.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:35 pm
LooseChanj wrote:
Zirconia Wolf wrote:
Sorry to interupt, but I am just starting playing around with the college towns, & noticed frequent talk/posts on some threads about "holding" a house/dorm with a "non-playable" Sim......

Could one of you Uni experts explain what those cryptic phrases mean and/or why this is something I might want to do?

Thanks!

-ZW

I think you mean when you move in a sim just so that when your next generation goes to college they can move in without paying.

Aha! That's another one! I overlooked the fact that if a sim is already living in the house, students can move in without having to pay rent up front. So that makes three benefits of keeping a playable sim in a house on campus:

1. Furnishings remain intact.
  2. Photo album does not get deleted.
  3. New residents can move in without paying rent.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:38 pm
miros1 wrote:
Yep, then you can either play them or use Inge's (SimLogical) bush to send them back to dormie status.

My current multi-generational campus house is a frat. Haven't tried completely moving all the playables out and just having non-resident members, but I'm thinking of backing everything up and seeing what happens when a new playable wants to join.

Another ripped sofa showed up, but it was right after a Popularity Sim with max friends and max influence came home from class.

I'm seeing a strong argument for recoloring that furshlugginer sofa. It actually has really good game-play parameters; it just looks like it's been through a world war. (When I was in college in real life, we did amazing things with wood-grained contact paper, duct tape, and a coat of polyurethane varnish!)

miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:38 pm
Lol, I didn't take my own advice! I've got a frat with 2 pledges and no idea who they are!

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Student Bought a Television