Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic Student Bought a Television
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Student Bought a Television
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:26 pm
I was fooling around in the Tri-Var house, furthering the cause of simulated advanced education, when Heather Whatshername decided to visit campus.

To my surprise, instead of bringing home a pizza like they usually do, she game back carrying a sack, and when she emptied it, there was a television! Now I'm wondering what else these little electronic critters might do autonomously!

miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:28 pm
I had 2 of the ugly ripped sofas show up unexpectedly. One of them was inside near the bathroom door, so I thought I might have bought it. Then the other one showed up outdoors next to the sidewalk!

I assume I've got some sort of conflict that caused a trashpile or something to turn into a sofa.

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Re: Student Bought a Television
LooseChanj
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:00 pm
Greg wrote:
I was fooling around in the Tri-Var house, furthering the cause of simulated advanced education, when Heather Whatshername decided to visit campus.

To my surprise, instead of bringing home a pizza like they usually do, she game back carrying a sack, and when she emptied it, there was a television! Now I'm wondering what else these little electronic critters might do autonomously!

That only seems to happen when the sim in question is at the highest influence level. I've often thought of starting a greek house in a field, and seeing if I could build it up and furnish it solely from campus visits.

I've seen them come back with sofas, tvs, the video game console, the little remote control car, desks, bbq grills, and chairs. It's all pretty cheap stuff, but it's free! Seems like the really influential sims can convince people to give them free swag!
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:24 pm
Oh! It's free! They must be doing some serious scavenging or influencing!

Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:50 pm
hmmm. I had something similar to this happen - I had downloaded a house (something I very rarely do) and there were those big apple sculptures appearing throughout the house - it was a version of the Hicks' trailer. I still don't know if they were meant to be there or had dropped in in place of dirt piles or something. They seemed to be hidden under other items of furniture - wardrobes and things - but one appeared right in the doorway and blocked access.

I do hope that doesn't bode ill for my game. That Hood has few Sims and few houses in it but I have a LOT of downloads in the game as a whole.
Zenmistress
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:26 pm
Sita wrote:
hmmm. I had something similar to this happen - I had downloaded a house (something I very rarely do) and there were those big apple sculptures appearing throughout the house - it was a version of the Hicks' trailer. I still don't know if they were meant to be there or had dropped in in place of dirt piles or something. They seemed to be hidden under other items of furniture - wardrobes and things - but one appeared right in the doorway and blocked access.

I do hope that doesn't bode ill for my game. That Hood has few Sims and few houses in it but I have a LOT of downloads in the game as a whole.

Sounds like there was an object in the house that didn't transfer with the packaging and unpackaging into your game and was replaced by the apple sculptures. Maybe a light or rug placed with "move_objects on" or something.

Zenmistress
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:28 pm
miros1 wrote:
I had 2 of the ugly ripped sofas show up unexpectedly. One of them was inside near the bathroom door, so I thought I might have bought it. Then the other one showed up outdoors next to the sidewalk!

I assume I've got some sort of conflict that caused a trashpile or something to turn into a sofa.

If your sims were at WVU they would prolly set fire to it all just to watch it burn.....like they do. Wicked Evil Grin

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:31 am
I'd guess that what happened in Rose's house is that they students brought home stuff that she didn't notice. I suspect that your apple statues were something else, Sita, perhaps even the person who uploaded the house playing a joke on you.

Theory: Maybe only sims with max influence and who live in a highly rated Greeek house will go out and acquire free stuff.

miros1
Post Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:27 am
I do have a couple Sims in that Greek house with max influence and the house is level 6 (which is something with only 7 people, 6 playables and 1 non-resident dormie, in it). I didn't get the Uni book, so I'm not sure what the maximum level of Greek houses is.

I think the ugly sofas showed up after I got the "Your house is now level 6" message, but I'm not sure. I guess I'll have to keep a closer eye on the members when they return to the frat...

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:46 am
Is there a way to look up what level your Greek house is at? I'm just playing the Tri-Var Sorority, but they now have five residents.

Can you have members who are not residents?

Kaylyn
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:51 am
You can look up Greek house level through a menu option on clicking the Greek letters you can purchase. I believe you can have members who are not residents...this could be handy in keeping the house at level 6...get the required number of friends with some off-house Sims, and just never play them anymore. Not sure if it works or not, though...

miros1
Post Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:18 pm
Yes, you can.

1) Use the Campus Directory (under Call->College on the phone) to pick a likely looking dormie. Call him/her and chat enough so he/she will accept an invitation.
2) Invite him/her over.
3) Invite him/her to Pledge to the house. I think it's under "Greek House" or "Ask" when you click on him/her. Don't remember which.
4) Abuse him/her for a while by Influencing him/her to clean, garden, do assigments, write papers, etc. This is a no-cost Influence. You can be as mean or nice as you like. I've had pledges become members with almost no Influence steps or with many, depending on the condition of the house and existing members' grades.
5) If he/she gets tired and goes home, invite him/her back the next day and repeat step 4.
6) After he/she has spent a while visiting the house as a pledge, you'll get a message saying you've got a new member.

At this point, you can either Propose->Move In if you want to make them a playable Sim, or you can just leave them in dormie limbo.

If you have non-resident members, you probably want to keep a list of who they are.

When I have a playable Sim that I want to join a Greek House, I have him or her make friends with most of the existing members. That way, when he or she calls the Greek House to join, the members will come running in wearing their togas and immediately approve the new member.

Zirconia Wolf
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:04 am
Sorry to interupt, but I am just starting playing around with the college towns, & noticed frequent talk/posts on some threads about "holding" a house/dorm with a "non-playable" Sim......

Could one of you Uni experts explain what those cryptic phrases mean and/or why this is something I might want to do?

Thanks!

-ZW

Post Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:55 am
Zirconia Wolf wrote:
Sorry to interupt, but I am just starting playing around with the college towns, & noticed frequent talk/posts on some threads about "holding" a house/dorm with a "non-playable" Sim......

Could one of you Uni experts explain what those cryptic phrases mean and/or why this is something I might want to do?

Thanks!

-ZW

I think you mean when you move in a sim just so that when your next generation goes to college they can move in without paying.
miros1
Post Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:07 am
Yep, then you can either play them or use Inge's (SimLogical) bush to send them back to dormie status.

My current multi-generational campus house is a frat. Haven't tried completely moving all the playables out and just having non-resident members, but I'm thinking of backing everything up and seeing what happens when a new playable wants to join.

Another ripped sofa showed up, but it was right after a Popularity Sim with max friends and max influence came home from class.

Student Bought a Television