Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic Your Favorite Science Fiction
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Your Favorite Science Fiction
Peake1981
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:15 pm
I am kind of curious what Science Fiction all of you like to read or watch. Mine are:

Star Wars - I have a tendency to only read books before the end of Return of the Jedi.
Star Trek
Stargate (SG-1 & Atlantis) - I don't get to watch it as much I would like...
Dune - I own all the books, but I haven't read the latest one yet.
Babylon 5 - I never any of the books.

I also read Fantasy, Alternate History, and Spy/Thrillers. I wont be offended if you don't like what I like or sci-fi at all. Like they say; To each their own.

The Spoiled Brat
Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:43 pm
I'm not a big Sci-Fi fan, but I still love The Twilght Zone with Rod Serling.

nanci2121
miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:58 pm
Alternate history -- Harry Turtledove all the way!

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Ooh yes, talk scifi!
Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:45 pm
Dune - though only the original book floats my boat. I LOVE the films.

Yes to Babylon 5. We have most of that on video or DVD, and most of the books, though I haven't been able to get hold of all of them. I and older son have devoured every B5 book we find, and we all know the episodes by heart smile

I have been reading SF almost as long as I could read. Lessee... I started reading at about 8. (yes, I am a late developer smile I chewed my way through the childrens' section in local public library and school library very fast, then started on the adult stuff... got put off when I tried the Pickwick Papers (against the advice of the librarian) - my Dad then told me about his collection of pulp scifi.
From the age of 10 or 11, I spose, I read little else. Analog, all the others. So you could say I grew up with it.

I like Heinlein, who I know has at least one other admirer here; his later stuff reads to me like fantasy but is fun in a way. I love his early work - I suppose I prefer "hard" science fiction. The sort where you have a problem to solve. And I enjoy more modern writers like Greg Bear, and Gibson.
Peake1981
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:02 pm
I always been as a Sci-fi fan, so is my father, my mother, my brother, and my sister. But I was never interest in reading anything till I was 14 and half. I saw Dune in a flyer for my father's book club and talk him into getting it.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:21 pm
Among living authors, I think my favorite is John Ringo. Most anything from Baen Books is really neat. I've been reading a lot of fantasy series lately, too.

I haven't been keeping up with science fiction on television and in the movies, so I can't say much about that. The first time I went to see Star Wars I didn't know anything at all about the movie. At the time I was chairman of the Northwest Science Fiction Society so I got an invitation to the press preview, the day before it opened. I doubt that any skiffy flick is ever going to be able to match that experience!

I like that miniseries they did about Dune, but the big-budget movie didn't appeal to me at all.

Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:27 pm
The Dune miniseries is FAR better - the original film is great but doesn't really have a lot to do with the book IMHO.

Will look up John Ringo.

How can you grow up in the West and not know Star Wars? That is totally mind-boggling! Lessee - first time I had dealings with it was when pregnant with my first son, then I fet queasy and didn't go to the cinema in the end but hubby and sis did and loved it to bits. I first saw it a couple of years later, AFTER Star Wars V. It still takes a lot of beating. How about Star Wars 3? There's a villain being made for you. Terrible tragedy.
miros1
Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:53 pm
Greg, being Greg, never reads any movie magazines or reviews. He likes to be surprised when he walks in. So when he saw Star Wars for the first time, he had no idea what he was going to see. Now, of course, he knows exactly what Star Wars is!

Other examples: He's in the tiny fraction of the population that didn't know before seeing the movie that Arnie was the good guy in Terminator 2 (although the picture of the Terminator and John on the bike had been leaked weeks before). He also thought the movie entitled I, Robot actually had something to do with the story collection by that name, even though I told the Moon Society MOO Commons well ahead of time that I'd seen the trailer and didn't remember a car chase in the book!

Yes, the Dune mini-series was much better than the theatrical release. One sentence review of the theatrical release: too good to miss, too horrible to watch. I wonder if it would be improved by turning the sound off and pretending it's some other movie. Eragon certainly would!

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:00 am
Indeed, I do actively avoid information about any movie that I think I might go to see in the theater. I avoid reading books reviews, too.

The first Star Wars movie opened on May 25, 1977, which means I went to see it on May 24. I had a television back then, a nice 13" color unit with a great set of rabbit ears, which was usually unplugged and often stored in the closet. I didn't subscribe to newspapers (and still don't).

I had seen some of the stills and even had a copy of the press kit, but what the movie was like and what it was about was still a mystery.

We went to see Happy Feet last Saturday. All I knew about it was that Alex told me it was about penguins. I'd say that one was OK. I was glad that I'd seen several scientific specials about penguins or I would have had no clue about what was going on.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:02 am
Afterthought: One of the most memorable skiffy novels I've read is 1632 by Eric Flint. It's an alternate history story set in Germany in 1632.

miros1
Post Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:09 am
Hm, so I should rent March of the Penguins before seeing Happy Feet?

Peake1981
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:15 am
Greg wrote:
Afterthought: One of the most memorable skiffy novels I've read is 1632 by Eric Flint. It's an alternate history story set in Germany in 1632.

I heard of that book. It an alternate history for the 30 years war. I'm not interest in it though because I would side with the Emperor not the Swedish King like the people in the book.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:14 pm
Will have to find that one... We liked other Eric Flint books, so it should be a good read, even if it's not good history.

miros1
Post Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:34 pm
Actually, I try to find a reviewer that I usually agree with and use their opinions as a guide line.

Random reviews out of the newspaper are usually rather useless.

Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:09 pm
Yes - what was it Stravinsky said about reviewers? He called them rodents - I don't take any notice of them cos very often I hate stuff reviewers like and vice versa.
Your Favorite Science Fiction