Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic Admin Follies
Admin Follies
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:58 am
I thought this was amusing. I happened to refresh the Admin tools and saw that there were a bazillion simultaneous connections from the same IP address.

'Yikes!' I thought. 'Has our tenacious spamtroll acquired an even more powerful tool to mangle the Hullabaloo with?' (She had already done her nocturnal attack between 2:00 and 3:00 AM this morning, this time with some very elegant IP masking. I assume she acquired the IP masking tools because I started blocking her usual route two days ago. I was afraid she was back!)

With some trepidation, I did a traceroute on the suspicious IP address (66.249.66.174). Alas, 'twas but the Googlebot making its early-morning rounds. Rolling on the Floor Laughing

All is well in the old 'Baloo! Grin

Ghostman
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:12 am
That must have been scary!

Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:17 am
Yup! Apparently the Googlebot makes lots and lots of independent connections while it's making its indexes and whatever else it does.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:44 pm
How much of a nuisance would it be if, when posting a message, you had to click a button that says "Confirm submit message" just before it's posted?

miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:00 pm
Is this measure intended to make things just a little harder for people to make those 3-5 daily posts that I have to send Nancy an IM about?

I could live with that... sadly, the next step is prolly having a human (meaning you or Nancy) approve each person who joins...

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:28 pm
I suspect that the goal is to force us to make the Hullabaloo harder to use.

They're working on Rev 3.0 of phpBB. I'm hoping that it will have a few more anti-spammer tricks, such as moderating individuals, moderated first posts, and an option to confirm posts.

Every one of those spams has been the first and only message posted by a bogus account, so first-post moderation would stop that.

She's now using IP spoofing in an attempt to disguise her identity. That means that she is not getting any traffic returned from the server when she posts her message. Having to confirm a post would require round-trip traffic from and back to the server (if I do this, I'll send a unique token for the confirmation), which would defeat IP spoofing.

dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:14 am
Greg wrote:
How much of a nuisance would it be if, when posting a message, you had to click a button that says "Confirm submit message" just before it's posted?

Doesn't sound like a nuisance at all to me...
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:22 pm
I'm still thinking of doing this, though I'll probably wait for the next major rev of phpBB to come out. They're working on a redesign from the foundation up, and I don't know what features they're already planning. I'm sure that lots of folks are thinking of clever ways to it more difficult to automate any process that's supposed to be manual.

At the moment, we seem to have only one nut case stalking the Hullabaloo and I have tools that let me deal with that one, wiping out hours of the nut's evil work in just a few seconds. So it's not a big deal for us. It appears that in the eternal battle of Good v. Evil, the current score is Good: 1,000 | Evil :0.

Nevertheless, I suspect that the big boards are having problems with real spammers.

miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:41 pm
I think you could do this quite easily... Just conditionally remove the Submit button, so you have to go to Preview and submit from there!

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:08 pm
Hmm... you might be right. It looks like all the code is in posting.php. If our spamtroll is using an automated routine it's probably using the hidden variables in porting.php, so there would be lots of ways to defeat that.

Admin Follies