Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic Something Other Then Hello
Something Other Then Hello
CarbonCapital
New SimsHost Friend
Post Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:58 pm
Hello's getting old so, Hola! How are you? And whatever else makes a quick or lengthy greeting. My name's Jessica, and it's faboulous to meet you all wink See how enthusiastic I am today? Well, come back with your own original (No idea what that word means but use it allot) or not so much greeting.

P.S: Where are the rules? I'll probably find them somwhere. At least the one's regarding story content, to explain I wasn't "Politically Correct" I think that what it is..on the original sims 2 site and am looking for a new place to stage my writing, yes, not rambling like I'm doing now.

So, how are you all tocay?

Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:19 pm
Hi Jessica! Welcome to the Hullabaloo!

Your note about not being politically correct is hard to answer because "politically correct" could mean just about anything. I suspect that we're a lot more open-minded than the folks who police the EA board.

The basic rule for the Hullabaloo is to keep things appropriate to a PG-13 kind of audience. Basically that means being judicious in use of terminology in the areas of religion, excreta, and sex; and of course being careful about depictions in art or prose for those areas as well as violence.

A few times, folks have suggested we start an adult board, but after seeing what Kathy goes through to keep kids out of InSIMadult, I'm inclined to just admire her from afar and let her do all the work. Of course, if in doubt, you can always ask first. In the Hullabaloo, you only have to put up with one Admin (me) and one Moderator (Nancy).

Beyond that, we just stick with the basic user agreement that comes with phpBB. You can read the whole thing here but there's really only one operative sentence:
    "You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-oriented, or any other material that may violate any applicable laws."

I've never seen a need to write more rules than that.* There's also a very good reason not to adopt more rules. The more detailed the rules, the more likely you are to invite people to try to get into an endless debate about them and then we find ourselves inundated with amateur lawyers and politicians trying to stir up a troll event.

The only problems we've had so far have been spammers, tasteless "jokes" that weren't jokes, and political hate-mongering.

Of course, spammers quickly get drop-kicked through the goalposts of life.

The thing about unfunny "jokes" is just a matter of applying good sense before clicking the "Submit" button. Would it be funny if the roles were reversed? Is it really humor, or is it just stumping for a political cause? Is the expected reaction laughter or shock?

It's easy to avoid political hate-mongering. It's just a matter not stumping for political views, and especially not spouting class hatred. That one really rags me because it seems it has become impossible to discuss any scientific phenomenon without someone attempting to shout down rational thinking with some strange political view; and invariably these views are expressed in terms of hatred for a symbol such as a political party or social group.**

(I did once suggest that we could adopt a rule that it was OK to mention politicians only if they had been dead for at least 100 years. It's a pretty good rule of thumb. So if you want to discuss the relative merits of the candidates in the presidential battle between John Adams and Thomas Jefferson or whether Bonnie Prince Charlie had a legitimate claim to the throne, have at it!)

I suppose we should extend that thing about hate-mongering to all parts of human existence, and especially politics among factions of the Sims community. I don't see anything to be gained from a troll war other than entertainment for the trolls; it's better to just let them entertain themselves in their own groups where they can be wildly indignant about whatever it is that they are wildly indignant about this week.

----------
*Except that I just now noticed that it doesn't mention spam. Well, bad news, spammers; you're dead meat anyway!

**Yeah, I am well aware that a few months ago one of the major U.S. political parties put out a call for its pundits go forth and take over every BBS on the net. It ain't gonna happen here, folks, so don't even try!

Last edited by Greg on Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Zenmistress
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:27 pm
wave
Bonjour! Bienvenue!
Hope you enjoy your time here!

Ghostman
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:06 pm
I am a bit tired right now, but that doesn't prevent me to say hello to you, this is a very friendly community and you are very likely to have fun here.

The Spoiled Brat
Post Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:59 am
Hi Jessica! wave
Welcome to the Hullabaloo!
It's nice to have you join us. wink

nanci2121
CarbonCapital
New SimsHost Friend
Post Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:04 pm
Hello everyone it's nice to meet you all. I don't think politically correct was the right word- actually it wasn't any of those things but it involved the insimenator hack so they deleted my account. Which wasn't all that fun to note all my writing was gone, that I'd kind of worked hard on..:C But no use getting down, I can always rewrite it more detailed. You know- know more. Just have to figure out all these buttons. I think I know how to do that though, Well you all seem very nice and I'm glad to meet you all! Actually even slight hello's have cheered me up. I'm being lazy today so I'm woken up. Slightly..I still don't want to leave the comfort of the couch. ... Grin Well thankyou so much and, buh bye for now I'll see you around the forums.

Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:43 pm
Oh! Maybe one of the EA mods is sensitive about the Insimenator hack, or they might have just been reacting to the name of the thing without really knowing what they were doing.

Now that you mention it, it looks like Kathy doesn't have a story section at the main Insimenator forum, although there is one at InSIMadult, where even I have a story in progress.

Here's a trick: If you're writing a story directly in the BBS, have Notepad open so that just before you post, you can copy and paste your story into Notepad to make a backup copy. I've learned to do that because anything can happen to a computer system. Even the Hullabaloo has been through one disaster, although I was able to eventually recover nearly everything from a backup.

Something Other Then Hello