Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic A ghostly wind wafts through the Hullabaloo
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:47 pm
Oh, I wasn't completely lax in guiding the players along the path that I wanted them to follow. Once in a while they'd be looking down one road, thinking it might be a good shortcut on their quest, when a freak thunderstorm would appear, moving slowly down that road.

On the other hand, they do surprise me. One time I was trying to get them to make a side-trip to a treasure trove hidden in a cave. "Obviously that's a red herring," said one of the players. "Let's continue on the main trail!" Then at the end of that session, they griped because there wasn't much treasure to be found that day.

I never did tell them about the treasure cave that they so flippantly bypassed, though I did have to move a treasure they should have found there to another spot. It was essential to their survival in their eventual battle with the evil wizard Plauchuman.

Another time they rescued a city from gloom and doom, but were being very timid. They were unwilling to risk any traps or even search their victims as they went along. Then, of course, they griped because there wasn't any treasure to be found that day.

That was just a one-off adventure so I did tell them that they place was dripping with treasure that they were too timid to go after.

Then there was the evil wizard Plauchuman. The encountered him in the basement of a palace. He was supposed to be disguised as a lowly servant. They were supposed to find him hiding under a lectern, whimpering and wallowing in self-pity over how the evilnasties had come and wiped out everybody. He would befriend them and actually join the party as they took over the whole castle (and really the whole town).

What I hadn't expected that instead of carefully investigating the mysterious noise from the dias, the big dumb fighter ("Thorn") decided to approach the subject with a Viking-rage charge.

I had to quickly decide what Plauchuman would do in this totally unexpected situation. I had him panic and blast Thorn to smithereens with a 72d6 lightning bolt. That exposed Plauchuman for what he was, so the party converged on him from all sides and smashed him in one round.

Which, of course, threw me totally out of my book. I had to invent things really fast at that point. The deity of the party's cleric ("Bard," my character) showed up to haul off the crispy critter who once was Thorn. There was precedent for this since She had done this twice already, putting Bard back together after he got squished.

Then the rest of the party settled down to explore and enjoy the castle. It was huge, with four stories above ground and nine stories of sub-basements. One of the mages tried for a familiar; ended up getting a vorpal leopard who became one of the party's pets and the World's Greatest Mouser. (Essential since basement was full of giant rats.)

They were just barely getting started in their explorations when they were faced with the ultimate challenge of the Night of the Livid Undead. The evil wizard was supposed to lead his undead army against the party and oust them from the castle. Without him, the army failed, so when last we played, they still owned the joint and were fabulously wealthy.

On the other hand, you can't take it with you, so I sent them on an adventure through the Other World where they were on a lengthy quest across the realms in an attempt to rescue Justice from the evil clutches of Domination.

Kaylyn
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:58 am
Well, I didn't get an invite, so I just went over to my sister's for the evening. The thing that bothered me about Matt trying to teach the basics to me was he would just do stuff and not really explain the reasons behind it, like he'd say, "Just roll the dice" and tell me what damage I did or that I missed, without explaining exactly how that was calculated. It was interesting and I still want to play some more, just maybe not with him as I got the feeling that something wasn't being done right. If I ever do manage to snag an invite to Lee's group (that's Gamestop guy's name) I'll probably just observe at first since they're an established group, and once I get a better feel for how things work I may see if I can work a character into their adventures. I'm supposed to be home this weekend and I'm trying to get home by noon Friday so I can hang out with him Friday night, possibly Saturday if I get invited, and then Sunday. He had some bad pizza or something last weekend and I wasn't able to talk to him until yesterday, so I had been getting a little worried. Yesterday is when he told me he had Friday off and wanted to know if I'd be in by then. So that's a good sign, right? C'mon, there's plenty of guys on here, I need a little insight! And you think WE'RE hard to figure out?! At least we talk; seems like you boys don't ever wanna say anything! lol

miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:19 pm
You might want to get a Player's Handbook then, and swipe a set of Matt's dice (if possible). The 3rd ed book is pretty self explanatory.

Or you can hint to Lee to take you to a shop, something like "We were discussing D&D on this board I read, and wondered where to start." That way, you know you're getting the same edition they play with. Also puts a bug (or a bigger bug) in his ear to wrangle you an invite...

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Kaylyn
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:13 pm
Hehe...you're so devious! Grin

I have a really really old book that I picked up at Goodwill, but it would be nice to see how the game's been updated and, like you said, make sure I'd be following their ruleset. I'll see what I can do!

miros1
Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:59 pm
The game is very different in the details, but the same basic game. They've cleaned up a lot of stuff. I suspect part of it was to make it easier to code the D&D based computer games. I know the computer game was the best thing to happen to Magic -- they had to clean up the rules so they actually made sense!

Example:
You always want to roll high. Used to be, everything was roll high, except stat saves (such as save vs. dex or fall down the stairs), where you had to roll low.

dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:00 pm
Kaylyn wrote:
Yesterday is when he told me he had Friday off and wanted to know if I'd be in by then. So that's a good sign, right?

Yes. *8)
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:36 pm
There are D&D-based computer games?

miros1
Post Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:25 pm
Uh, yes. Kaylyn mentioned them somewhere around here...

Kaylyn
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:35 pm
Yep. Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights spring to mind immediately. There's a few others. I only play Neverwinter Nights, though. It even shows the randomly-generated dice rolls each time you swing your sword or cast a spell. It's also got an online feature that I've never played, which basically allows for an immersive DnD experience, and there's DM tools that allow the DM to spawn monsters or treasure or whatever to keep the game interesting. I really only play the single-player quests the game is mainly concerned with, though.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:04 am
I just had to look up Neverwinter Nights. This looks really neat! Wow! Those folks at Wizards of the Coast have done it again! Grin

Image pilfered from BioWare.

Based on what I could find out while looking around, I'm guessing that Wizards of the Coast licensed use of D&D's game rules and trademark to BioWare and that they retain strict control over the D&D-related content.

The graphical resolution of the characters in the screen shots looks a bit dated--just a notch down from the original version of The Sims. Now I'm wondering whether they're working on pouring some polygons into a future version and maybe opening the door to custom content. It looks like they need to understand the value of fan artists to their business endeavors.

Kaylyn
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:19 am
Well, according to my sources at Gamestop (heh, heh) Neverwinter Nights 2 is just around the corner! Looks like graphics have been updated as well as the interface (which was slightly clumsy in my opinion in the originial game). I hope the camera controls are a bit better; I didn't like the click-and-walk option, and the chase cam seemed a bit off as well. There appears to be some full-motion video as well; here's a link with some trailers and previews and stuff: http://www.atari.com/nwn2/US/index.php (An advantage to dating someone that works at Gamestop: I have access to any pre-order goodies I want, even if I don't actually pre-order the game! When pre-ordering NWN2, you get a special weapon custom designed for your class or something like that. Also, when pre-ordering Sims 2, you get a special breed of cat called the Bandit Cat that you can unlock in your game. It looks soooo cute!)

The cool thing about these games is that a lot of people create campaigns that you can download online and play yourself, or you can create your own. So even if you finish the main quest, there's almost always an expansion pack around the corner, or you can hop onto the message boards and find a new user-created campaign to hold your interest.

The original NWN does have kinda Sims1-ish graphics, but believe it or not, it still has a habit of slowing down my laptop a bit when there's a lot of stuff going on at once. I may have to hold off on NWN2 till I get my new laptop after tax refunds.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:41 pm
Oh my! shocked

Based on the videos available on the site, Neverwinter Nights 2 is Officially Cool! It looks like the graphics (and music) exceed The Sims 2, and they've added some new innovations to save on polygon counts.

What I've seen so far implies that it is possible for users to create content. I haven't yet figured out if it's possible to share user-created content on the web, or whether they allow this.

I haven't seen anythign about interiors yet, either. If you can build houses in a D&D setting for characters to live in and then go out and have adventures and slay monsters, it might be a very long time before any of my sims have another birthday! lol

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:36 pm

Vidcap from Neverwinter Nights 2 video. I wish we could do this in The Sims 2.
Image pilfered from Atari. It's a vidcap.

This is a vidcap from one of the movies on the Neverwinter Nights 2 site. I did a little post-processing to bring out the details, with mixed success. The resolution suffers from having gone through video conversion. I really like the interior furnishings. Grin

They made some allusions to a fan artist community in the videos but I haven't yet learned what fan artists can create or what they can do with their stuff once they've created it.

Kaylyn
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:06 pm
lol If Greg keeps drooling, I can see a NWN2 forum opening up on here soon! smile

Hey, that'd actually be kinda cool...anyone on here that plays could team up with each other online!

Ghostman
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:48 pm
Kaylyn wrote:
Also, when pre-ordering Sims 2, you get a special breed of cat called the Bandit Cat that you can unlock in your game. It looks soooo cute!)

I just had to find the picture:

Although I think you might have seen a better picture.
..................ŻŻŻ