Reply to topic How to avoid "the Vagaries of PHPBB"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Re: How to avoid "the Vagaries of PHPBB"
miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:51 pm
Greg wrote:
miros1 wrote:
... Do not click on any links to other topics in the Hullabaloo...

I don't think I've had a problem with that one unless it might be overlooking messages that someone posted while I was still in the session.

For me, this is the #1 cause of missed messages. I click on something, it opens in a new window, and presto, all the unread messages vanish from the list.

Greg wrote:
miros1 wrote:
... Bookmark topics with links you want to visit later.

That gives me an idea for a mod: Hand a cookie to the user's browser with a list of recently visited topics as well as a set of lists of unread new posts. Rotate the lists of unread posts in a stack. Give the user an option to revert to a previous list. (The chances that I will write such a mod are epsilonically near zero.)

The idea of bookmarking all those topics kinda scares me; the bookmark clutter would become mind-boggling.

I'd just stick them all in a folder inside Favorites, then delete the whole folder at the end of the session. I also wouldn't make that many bookmarks... There are very few posts with internal Hullabaloo links that I actually need to find again. It's only internal Hullabaloo links that open a new window that reset your "last visit" time. You can navigate around inside the Hullabaloo freely, even search. Just don't click links that look like this: http://www.hullabaloo.simshost.com/forum/

I agree. Your dream mod will never happen. You might want to see if you can find that "10 most recently modified posts" mod that Carrot had. Be careful, there are two of them. One of them resets the "last visit" time and there goes your "new posts" list. You can also ask MikeD for advice. I don't think choosing mods to the board is anything you want to do single handed.

Greg wrote:
miros1 wrote:
...Use the Back button to return to the "Search" page with the new topics on them.

Better idea: Once you have the "New posts since..." page open, link from it by right-clicking and opening a new window. That gives you more flexibility without having to navigate backwards.

That would also help keep the list from getting lost, but I have had the list refresh while I was looking at it, not just when I went back to it.

Greg wrote:
miros1 wrote:
... Do not open the Hullabaloo on the other computer with the same user id.

Quite often, is not an option for me. I could create an alter-ego for use on other machines but then the alter-ego would not have a useful list of unread topics because most of the time there would be bazillions of them.

Ok, I left out the word "simultaneously." It's fine to read the new stuff here, there, and yonder. Just don't do it at the same time. Every new Hullabaloo window that opens on any machine resets the "last visit" time.

Greg wrote:
miros1 wrote:
... 2) After you've gone through all the new posts, then you can do what you want. Click any internal links, open up multiple browser windows, use multiple computers, you name it.

This presupposes that you can read through all the topics, and write replies, without interruption and without needing to go anywhere else in the Hullabaloo. For me, that it is almost never the case. That might be the problem.

Well, your idea to keep the "new topics" open in one window or tab might keep the new list intact. You can also navigate within the Hullabaloo, and even search. Just don't click on links within posts. That resets the "last visit" time, because it's opening new windows.

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
miros1
Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:58 pm
Maybe I didn't explain my whole point very well.

PHPBB does not have vagaries. It works in a logical manner, based on the "last visit" time, which is stored in the mySQL database along with the messages.

If you open a new Hullabaloo window on any machine, the program will change your last visit time. This change affects all connections from all windows on all machines for that user.

This is the root cause of everything refered to as "vagaries." If you don't do anything to trigger changes to your last visit time, your vagaries will go away.

miros1
Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:41 pm
Greg's theory about keeping the New Posts list open in one window and using right-click/Open in New Window seem to work.

miros1
Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:53 pm
Hm, I did just manage to reset my "last visit" time by reading and deleting a bunch of PMs... That's something else to be careful of!

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:01 pm
So, the problem with the way phpBB is programmed is that it has no real way to track unread messages. All it knows it the last time you opened a new window.

miros1
Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:24 pm
Do you want the database to grow to gigantic sizes?

I'm sure Scotty would have a brain hemorage at the thought of having records totalling x users times y posts...

TSR has a similar database tracking who's downloaded what and who's rated what... that puppy sure can't be a lightweight!

Another part of the problem is that a few mutant scripts change the last visit date. I just reset it again deleting pms.

Yet another is that the "last post" link does take you to the last post in the thread. If you don't happen to think to scroll up, you miss stuff.

Ghostman
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:31 pm
miros1 wrote:

I'm sure Scotty would have a brain hemorage at the thought of having records totalling x users times y posts...

Being around here for less time than you guys, I must ask Who is Scotty?

Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:41 pm
Scotty is the very techy guy.

Hedge Witch
Seeker of the Fae
Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:49 pm
the Invisable Techy Guy Grin

Post Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:16 pm
Scotty Gammenthaler is the corporate treasurer, business manager, and chief programmer for The Lunar Resources Company. He wrote most of the SimsHost system. He's also the treasurer for the Moon Society and Artemis Society International, keeper of the mailbox, erstwhile board member, and no doubt commits other crimes against normalcy hidden behind the guise of a mild-mannered electrical engineer.

His significance to SimsHost webmasters is that he solves most of the technical problems with the server and the SimsHost software system. His significance to members is that he is one of three people (the other two being Nancy and me) who have access to your personal information and is the guy who writes the checks when checks need to be written.

Ghostman
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:40 pm
great... another psycho...

Just kidding, that's a very impressive display of skills there.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:54 pm
Rolling on the Floor Laughing

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:54 pm
Yup. I can accurately report that without Scotty, SimsHost would not have happened.

On the other hand, there are some folks out there who would have counted that as a good thing.

Zenmistress
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:57 pm
Greg wrote:

On the other hand, there are some folks out there who would have counted that as a good thing.

yeah...well...it must suck to be them!

Ghostman
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:00 pm
I totally second Sandy's post.