Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic How to avoid "the Vagaries of PHPBB"
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
How to avoid "the Vagaries of PHPBB"
miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:20 pm
Since Greg keeps missing important posts, I thought I'd post these comments:

1) When coming to the Hullabaloo, immediately go into "View posts since last visit." Read through them and respond if desired. Do not click on any links to other topics in the Hullabaloo, but external links are ok. Bookmark topics with links you want to visit later. Use the Back button to return to the "Search" page with the new topics on them. Do not open the Hullabaloo on the other computer with the same user id. Make one last visit to the "view posts since last visit" screen and click the Update button. This is important because posts can come thick and fast when 3 or 4 people are on.

2) After you've gone through all the new posts, then you can do what you want. Click any internal links, open up multiple browser windows, use multiple computers, you name it.

3) After you've had your fun, go back to the "View posts since last visit" screen and click the Update button. This is just to make sure you haven't missed anything while surfing the Hullabaloo.

The other choice is to find a mod that will let you change the "Last visit" time...

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Ghostman
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:53 pm
Thank you Rose! I'll start using that option (I had seen it before, but never clicked on it)

Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:25 am
Yup, me too. I was unaware of that link until Rose mentioned it.

And yeah, a mod that let's you look up messages since a certain date would be a Very Good Thing, and it's probably in the mod database. I need to update the board anyhow so that would be good to do at the same time if I can find one.

miros1
Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:26 am
Another "non-obvious" feature?

miros1
Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:56 am
Another not so obvious feature...

When the posts are flying thick and fast, you can see which threads you've read the newest posts in by looking at the icon on the thread. If it's yellow and you're not at the end of the thread, go read it!

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:58 am
I suspect that folks who've used phpBB a lot (which would be anybody who mods it) would think that the need for that feature was very obvious. But then, for all I know it might already be in part of the standard bbs for rev 20. I'm way behind in updating the board. It's another one of those big, scary projects.

Marmy
Crabby Old Woman
Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:46 am
hehe, I ALWAYS use the view posts since last visit link.

--------------------

When the dreamer's in the zone, leave em alone!

www.simplysimilicious.com
miros1
Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:21 am
Given the number than someone-above-me misses, I figured a repeat course in how not to miss new messages was a good idea...

Ghostman
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:07 am
While we are at it Rose, you did notice my response to your "How do I fullfill the make {food} for another sim want?" question, didn't you?

Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:45 am
lol!! Someone above me....that could be any of us that have posted!

--------------------

When the dreamer's in the zone, leave em alone!

www.simplysimilicious.com
Ghostman
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:49 am
It was Greg :gossip:

SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:21 pm
miros1 wrote:
Make one last visit to the "view posts since last visit" screen and click the Update button. This is important because posts can come thick and fast when 3 or 4 people are on.

There's an "Update" button? My "posts since last visit" screen doesn't seem to have one. Or, more likely, I'm being dense. *8) ?
Ghostman
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:24 pm
I think she is talking about the refresh button in our web browser.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:25 pm
ghostman wrote:
While we are at it Rose, you did notice my response to your "How do I fullfill the make {food} for another sim want?" question, didn't you?

Yes I did! So far, I've had bad luck with that (or maybe the want gets filled and replaced with the same want), but I'll keep trying!

I need to get my Grilled Cheese Sim on an exercise program, he's getting a "grilled cheese belly"!

Re: How to avoid "the Vagaries of PHPBB"
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:19 pm
miros1 wrote:
... Do not click on any links to other topics in the Hullabaloo...

I don't think I've had a problem with that one unless it might be overlooking messages that someone posted while I was still in the session.

miros1 wrote:
... Bookmark topics with links you want to visit later.

That gives me an idea for a mod: Hand a cookie to the user's browser with a list of recently visited topics as well as a set of lists of unread new posts. Rotate the lists of unread posts in a stack. Give the user an option to revert to a previous list. (The chances that I will write such a mod are epsilonically near zero.)

The idea of bookmarking all those topics kinda scares me; the bookmark clutter would become mind-boggling.

miros1 wrote:
...Use the Back button to return to the "Search" page with the new topics on them.

Better idea: Once you have the "New posts since..." page open, link from it by right-clicking and opening a new window. That gives you more flexibility without having to navigate backwards.

miros1 wrote:
... Do not open the Hullabaloo on the other computer with the same user id.

Quite often, is not an option for me. I could create an alter-ego for use on other machines but then the alter-ego would not have a useful list of unread topics because most of the time there would be bazillions of them.

miros1 wrote:
... Make one last visit to the "view posts since last visit" screen and click the Update button. This is important because posts can come thick and fast when 3 or 4 people are on.

That's one I hadn't thought of.

miros1 wrote:
... 2) After you've gone through all the new posts, then you can do what you want. Click any internal links, open up multiple browser windows, use multiple computers, you name it.

This presupposes that you can read through all the topics, and write replies, without interruption and without needing to go anywhere else in the Hullabaloo. For me, that it is almost never the case. That might be the problem.

I'd say in general it could be a bad practice to just run through all the topics and write replies to every new topic that comes up because it leads to disjointed discussions, BBS clutter, and user fatigue which shows up in the form of cranky text the user's writing.

An alternative is, just as with email, give some of the responsibility to the sender instead of dumping it all on the receiver:

1. Never assume that someone else has read your message.

2. Never let rudeness be your response to your own error in assuming that someone has read your message. (In fact, just never be rude at all. The Hullabaloo ain't the Troll Farm.)

3. If you want a reply from a specific person and haven't received one after a reasonable length of time, bump the topic by posting another new note in the same topic politely calling attention to your original note.

How to avoid "the Vagaries of PHPBB"