Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic Vincent Van Gogh's relatives
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Zenmistress
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:48 pm
I love talking about city names....even though these aren't Indian or anything, they're funny!

Pennsylvania has:
Fertility
Intercourse
Blue Ball
Climax
Virginville
Immaculata
Beaver
Presto
Roulette

And I live 5 miles from
Mars

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:14 pm
ghostman wrote:
Rolling on the Floor Laughing There's is a city named Peoria? First time I've ever heard of that. Oh goodness ! either someone was on drugs when giving that city a name or it's not based on spanish.

I had to look it up! It says here in the Wikipedia:
Wikipedia wrote:
Peoria (through French Peouarea, from Peoria Piwarea, 'he comes carrying a pack on his back': a personal name). One of the principal tribes of the Illinois confederacy.

So once again we can blame the Illini Indians. Gosh, now I'm waxing all nostalgic about carrying a pack on my back, which was something I never did anywhere near Peoria.

It's interesting to note that the Illinois Country was once part of Virginia, where I grew up. My family could have made the Great Trek of 1960 from Alexandria to Peoria and ended up in the same state, had Virginia not ceded the territory to the United States in 1784. It also means that Abe Lincoln would have grown up in a Southern state, which leads to even weirder thoughts about alternate histories!

Just had a thought: Y'know, Ghostman, if you hadn't mentioned it, I never would have guessed that English is not your native language. You're good at this!

Marmy
Crabby Old Woman
Post Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:21 pm
Quote:
My family could have made the Great Trek of 1960 from Alexandria to Peoria and ended up in the same state, had Virginia not ceded the territory to the United States in 1784.

The Great Trek of 1960?

--------------------

When the dreamer's in the zone, leave em alone!

www.simplysimilicious.com
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:43 pm
Summer of 1960, when my family moved from Virginia to Illinois. I was 10 years old, intrigued by moving Way Out West but dismayed that we were suddenly surrounded by damnyankees.

My friends told me that when I first moved to Illinois I had a very noticeable Southron accent but it went away over the years. Well, most the time anyhow.

Marmy
Crabby Old Woman
Post Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:45 pm
Ah, ok....my family went to Illinois.....but it was in the 1700/1800s.

--------------------

When the dreamer's in the zone, leave em alone!

www.simplysimilicious.com
Ghostman
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:43 pm
I've just realized something, if Sheba is pronounced like She-Bah, phonetically that means female goat in spanish. I wonder what She has to say about that.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:47 pm
ghostman wrote:
I've just realized something, if Sheba is pronounced like She-Bah, phonetically that means female goat in spanish. I wonder what She has to say about that.

lol I suspect Her name has its roots in Aramaic, but I doubt that it would bother Her to be a nanny goat, either.

Kaylyn
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:38 am
Greg wrote:
Summer of 1960, when my family moved from Virginia to Illinois. I was 10 years old, intrigued by moving Way Out West but dismayed that we were suddenly surrounded by damnyankees.

My friends told me that when I first moved to Illinois I had a very noticeable Southron accent but it went away over the years. Well, most the time anyhow.

Ok, ok, I know Virginia is technically in the South, but I've been there many, many, many times and I guess being born and raised in Louisiana, it just doesn't feel Southern. I know the Mason-Dixon line defines what is considered the South, but I guess I'm only thinking of the Deep South--up to Arkansas, Tennessee, South Carolina, maybe North Carolina, and Texas extending as far west as I-35/37. I never noticed Virginians with much of a Southern accent, but that could be because I'm real Southern. I don't hear an accent in my own voice, but I'm told I have a bit of one, so it must be true. *grumbles* And I'm not crazy about having one because it makes me sound like a hick. I'm not a hick! razz

Hedge Witch
Seeker of the Fae
Post Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:14 am
I'm a hick!!!
And apparently I too have an accent. Even Canadians have their "linguistic boundries".
West Coaster, Prarie Dogs, Ontarians, Quebecers, Maritimers...all sound different and of course completely different form the US, UK or wherever.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:45 am
lunahskye wrote:
Ok, ok, I know Virginia is technically in the South, but I've been there many, many, many times and I guess being born and raised in Louisiana, it just doesn't feel Southern. I know the Mason-Dixon line defines what is considered the South, but I guess I'm only thinking of the Deep South--up to Arkansas, Tennessee, South Carolina, maybe North Carolina, and Texas extending as far west as I-35/37. I never noticed Virginians with much of a Southern accent, but that could be because I'm real Southern. I don't hear an accent in my own voice, but I'm told I have a bit of one, so it must be true. *grumbles* And I'm not crazy about having one because it makes me sound like a hick. I'm not a hick! razz

I haven't spent much time in Virginia since then, but we might speculate that half a century of being invaded by damnyankee bureaucrats from Washington has taken its toll on the culture of Virginia.

With its French roots, Louisiana has culture unto its own, and quite a mixture of them. But then, so does Virginia (and just about every other state in the South).

The highlands of Virginia were populated by border Scots while the coast plains were Brits, invoking cultural differences that go back for centuries to what separated the two cultures in the first place: The border Scots were people who would rather fight than bend a knee to Rome, while the Brits were those who succombed to Roman rule.

As for Virginia being technically southern, well ma'am, you might survive the experience if you were to say that to someone in Alexandria, but I'd advise extreme caution when bring up such a silly notion around the hillbillies!

The Mason-Dixon line isn't really a good way to distinguish what states were North and South; by that definition, Maryland and parts of Pennsylvania would be in the South. Today it defines the location of the border between Maryland, Pennsylvania, and Delaware.

Mason-Dixon Line
Image pilfered from the Wikipedia

The most cogent definition "The South" is the original eleven states of the Confederacy: South Carolina, Mississippi, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Lousiana, Texas, Virginia, Arkansas, North Carolina, and Tennessee:

The Confederate States of America
The original 11 members of the Confederacy are shown in solid red.
Image pilfered from the Wikipedia

Missouri, Kentucky, and (Surprise!) Arizona also attempted to secede and had their own independent (but disputed) governments but were never successful in achieving full independence. Even parts of Kansas attempted to seceed.

Arizona was a territory of the Confederate States of America, comprising the southern half of what is now New Mexico and Arizona. It might help to remember for a time, the CSA was an independent nation with its own central government. The CSA claimed all of what is now Arizona and New Mexico but really only effectively controlled the southern half of the Arizona Territory. It also claimed the Indian Territory, now known as the state of Oklahoma.

----------
*This ordering of the Southern states has significance. Can you guess what it is?

Last edited by Greg on Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:43 am; edited 1 time in total

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:47 am
Hedge Witch wrote:
I'm a hick!!!
And apparently I too have an accent. Even Canadians have their "linguistic boundries".
West Coaster, Prarie Dogs, Ontarians, Quebecers, Maritimers...all sound different and of course completely different form the US, UK or wherever.

And Noofies! Let's not forget the Noofies! Grin

miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:50 pm
Greg wrote:
*This ordering of the Southern states has significance. Can you guess what it is?

Order of succession.

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:59 pm
Secession. Grin

'nother quiz: In order of succession, I'd put Virginia first. Why?

Ghostman
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:23 am
Greg wrote:
Y'know, Ghostman, if you hadn't mentioned it, I never would have guessed that English is not your native language. You're good at this!

Thanks. smile
I hadn't seen that part of your message.
But I have a small correction to make.
Chiva means female kid, not female goat, I've never been good at telling animals apart.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:45 am
ghostman wrote:
Greg wrote:
Y'know, Ghostman, if you hadn't mentioned it, I never would have guessed that English is not your native language. You're good at this!

Thanks. smile
I hadn't seen that part of your message.
But I have a small correction to make.
Chiva means female kid, not female goat, I've never been good at telling animals apart.

I take that means a young female goat, assuming that "kid" means "baby goat" in this use. smile

Vincent Van Gogh's relatives