Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic Help with my SIMS HOST Subscription!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Nancy
The Spoiled Brat

The Spoiled Brat
Post Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:09 pm
Quote:
My thanks to the SimsHost Suppport Staff who didn't take a club to me over this whole thing!

You're very welcome, sweetie! That's what I'm here for! smile
I rarely have to get the club out! Rolling on the Floor Laughing

nanci2121
miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:59 pm
Zirconia Wolf wrote:
My thanks to the SimsHost Suppport Staff who didn't take a club to me over this whole thing!

Nancy saves her club for wayward webmasters!

Zirconia Wolf wrote:
Oh, to answer the question as to why I purchased GetRight (which has worked flawlesly except for here, BTW) in the first place: I am only a recent "convert" to the whole Cable-Connection scene. If you were a Dial-Up using PC Gamer with a love for "building" type games (think Emperor, Zeus, COTN, ZooTyccon, etc.) and desperately wanted to download even the "offical" extras for the game (the Asian Elephant for ZT ran 3.4 MB alone) you would be searching for a more stable download program too! (My old internet "service" provider was fond of dumping my connection if I was on one site for "too long with no activity". Never mind that I was only 10 minutes into what was going to be a 3 or 4 hour download! )

GetRight has saved my bacon more times than I can count with it's Resume feature and ability to use "mirror sites" (getting diffenet "parts" of the same file off 2,3,4 or more sites when possible), giving me the chance to add content to my games that would have been impossible with just Dail-Up & Internet Explorer.

On Patch Day at Mythic, Get Right is the only way to get the big files for Dark Age of Camelot! After IE timed out 4 times, I fired up GetRight and it downloaded in one fell swoop. Well, probably about 5 fell swoops, but it looked like one to me!

The other reason is that Certain Big Sites won't let you download 3 things at a time... so when you've got a page with 15 things in front of you, you can take up knitting in the time it takes to download the first two so you can get two more!

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Zirconia Wolf
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:00 pm
It's nice to know I'm not the only member of Addicted To Game Downloads Annonomous! (Actually as far as addictions go, I gotta say it's the one to have! )

Miros 1 : I noticed your "title" is Lone Sims 1 Holdout. Just wanted to say you are not the only one, as I too am a member of that little group! That's why I'm thrilled there are still sites like the ones on SimsHost that still cater to people like me. (I honestly can't say why The Sims 2 hasn't "captured" my interest yet, but it just hasn't. Well, not yet anyway... )

-ZW

Post Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:39 pm
Well, for quite some time, I was the only SimsHost webmaster updating for Sims1. The puter I had couldn't run Sims2. I really ought to dig out those files from last summer when I had no Internet and do a Sims1 update...

Then I guess I should change my Title...

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:03 am
Zirconia Wolf wrote:
It's nice to know I'm not the only member of Addicted To Game Downloads Annonomous! (Actually as far as addictions go, I gotta say it's the one to have! )

You're definitely not alone! We were so addicted to downloading for games that we started SimsHost just to keep the sites on line! I'd say that was extreme addiction! lol

I think it comes from some core instinct in the human psyche, stemming back to our anscestors' days as hunter-gatherers.

Or maybe we were just born to shop! Grin

Zenmistress
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:56 am
He who dies with the most downloads wins! Rolling on the Floor Laughing

miros1
Post Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:28 am
That sounds like a new thread!

Zenmistress
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:34 am
Of course, he whose computer dies with the most downloads would lose...... geek

Zirconia Wolf
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:27 pm
It's nice to be able to talk to other people about "Serial Downloading" and know they won't think I'm a total whack-job!

*Sigh* Looks like I am the last Sims 1 holdout after all! I think the think that "turns me off" about the Sims 2 is the fact that they die as part of the game, rather than some freaky occerance like in Sims 1. I just don't think I would enjoy putting all that work into them & watching them kick the bucket at a pre-set point. It doesen't sound like fun to me to be "rushed" along like that. The "toddler" stuff sounds kind fun, but I wouldn't like playing with "one eye on the clock", so to speak. I'm just a dinker, I guess, when it comes to my Sims lives! Also, as an animal lover it's hard to think I would like the "pet mortality" that's bound to be part of the pet expansion. Oh well. I better get back to frantic downloading before all the Sims 1 sites disapear!

-ZW

Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:40 pm
The SimsHost S1 sites aren't going anywhere... there's still Gigabytes of stuff here!

You can either turn off aging (if no preggo ladies, babies, toddlers or kids in the house) or use elixir and your Sims won't die. You can actually let the dad pop over into elderhood and still have more babies... and he can stay home and take care of them while collecting his pension. Just keep him at minimum age for Elderhood and baby him a little if he gets sick and he'll last forever!

dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:08 am
Zirconia Wolf wrote:
I think the think that "turns me off" about the Sims 2 is the fact that they die as part of the game, rather than some freaky occerance like in Sims 1.

I thought exactly the same thing when I first heard about TS2. But in fact, as Rose says, having Sims die is entirely optional. You can just turn aging off entirely (maybe briefly back on for the kids to grow up!), or use Elixir of Life to keep them young (any reasonably well-cared-for adult Sim will earn enough aspiration points in fifteen days to pay for much more than a jar of Elixir, especially if there's a spouse or lover around to date, and the jar will remove fifteen days from their progress toward eldership). At least so far I've felt no stress at all around keeping my Sims alive (and I have sixty-six controllables at last count)...
miros1
Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:57 am
I did have one man roll over into elderhood unintentionally. I just couldn't get his aspirations to gold in time and it was before NL, so no dates for a quickie aspiration boost.

When you're playing a legacy 'hood (one multi-generation family and their friends), death is part of the game... their family and friends get insurance money and inheritances!

Kaylyn
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:25 pm
Yep, either Elixir or calculated usage of the aging off cheat (turned on and off for making babies and such) would keep you from living through the trauma of dying Simmies.

Unfortunately for us story-writers, aging and death is a necessity to move some stories forward. The time is approaching for the first death in Bellevue, and I don't know if I can bring myself to actually kill off the Sim in question. I may just move said Sim to Florida to live out an eternal retirement and only kill off the character in the story.

Sometime after the story is done I plan on doing what I actually intended to do with this family and start a modified Legacy challenge myself to play in between working on my next story. That means the people actually do have to die to accumulate points for those platinum gravestones, and they have to die in many different ways to accumulate the ghosts bonus. I guess that's where my sadistic side will have to take over. I tend to flip-flop between being an evil goddess and a benevolent deity in my Sims worlds. Grin

miros1
Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:11 pm
I'm not really playing for points, just to see how their kids look after marrying ugly townies for a couple generations. Of course, my #1 priority in mate-searching is LOOKS and they won't marry a truely ugly one!

By the way, a Romance Sim and a Family Sim who's not very shy make a great couple. The Romance Sim is happy with a variety of locations and the same partner; the Family Sim is happy with the same partner on a very regular basis... I added a hot tub to Amelia's Closet so they'd have a place for Public WooHoo! You also want to buy a car not a truck... hm, wonder if they'd woohoo in the car at home...

Kaylyn
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:54 pm
miros1 wrote:
You also want to buy a car not a truck... hm, wonder if they'd woohoo in the car at home...

Yup! With Bellevue I still roll for random aspirations like in a Legacy challenge, so Bert started off as Romance in college. Bought the minivan for them when they moved into the big house on campus, and let's just say they had to make an allowance in their monthly budget for shock absorbers before I changed his aspiration... wink

Help with my SIMS HOST Subscription!!!!!