Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic Help with my SIMS HOST Subscription!!!!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Help with my SIMS HOST Subscription!!!!!
Zirconia Wolf
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:10 am
Okay, I have NO idea where else to ask this and I'm at my wits end, so I'm asking here.....

Please, please, PLEASE can someone out there tell me howintheheck I can actually go about USING the SimHost subscription/account I just opened today (for $200, I might add) ???????

Here is my sad story:

I was surfing the net for SIMS 1 things.
I found some way-cool stuff I wanted.
To get that stuff I was "told" (by my computer) that I needed a SimsHost account.
I went to the SimsHost home page and signed up for an account.
I learned that I was also supposed to put $$$$ (via a credit card, etc) into an "account" to pay for my downloads from SimsHost connected sites.
I used my Visa and plunked down $200 (My B-Day was July 20th smile )
I was informed that my account was open, and even did the "validation e-mail" thing.
I went back to the site where I saw the way-cool stuff I wanted, which started this whole thing.
I tried to download the way-cool stuff I wanted.
I got the usual (I subscribe to other sites) Pop-up that wanted my pp-username/password.

First Red Flag: I didn't USE PayPal to put $$$ in my account, because the info I read said that SimsHost wasn't going to charge my subscription through them, so I just put in right on my Visa. (Which was charged, BTW)

So I DON'T HAVE a "pp" username/password for SimsHost!!!

So how on EARTH can I "use" the $200 I'm now out?????

I have received NOTHING but the original "validation-link" e-mail from SimsHost.

Did I screw up somewhere???

Please, if someone could just point me in the right direction I would be VERY thankfull!

(I couldn't find anyway to contact SimsHost directly, just a Home Page with a bunch of stuff about a mystery hunt, which is why I'm asking here...)
miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:22 am
I'll make sure Nancy sees this!

If you look at the SimsHost homepage, there is a link for "Subscriber FAQ."

You can also go into "Create Your Account" and there's a link for "Forgot Your Password" right at the top. That will also give you your user name as well if you give your email address.

You can send any other questions to subscriber-support(at)simshost.com.

I'm sorry about the confusion! Thanks for subscribing, you'll love it here!

Happy Birthday!

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Nancy
The Spoiled Brat

The Spoiled Brat
Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:10 am
wave I sent you a private email Zirconia. happy7

You can always reach me at:
subscriber-support@simshost.com or
nancy@simshost.com

nanci2121
Thankyou for the fast feed-back!
Zirconia Wolf
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:50 am
Wow, that was fast! (It's been 2 months scince I asked for download help from one of the ZooTycoon sites I belong to, and not a peep....but that's a dicussion for a different site! )

Thankyou for the help (and e-mail) and for NOT giving me "The Boot" for posting in the "wrong" place.....

Yes, I really think I will love it here! Judging by the sites that are "affiliated" with a SimsHost subscription (like the one with the way-cool stuff that started this whole thing) I'm thinking that this is money well spent!!!

(It's also very nice to see stuff is still being made for us Sims1 players! )

Thanks again, and I'm sorry if my original post seemed "accusitory" in tone (I just read it again...) as it wasn't meant to be!

-ZW
miros1
Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:08 am
I figured you were just frustrated! Glad we could help out and get you up and downloading!

If there's a particular thing you're looking for, post in the Sims 1 area and we'll try to hook you up. We've got gigabytes of stuff spread over 70+ sites, so it's quite likely we've got anything you want!

miros1
Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:14 am
Oh, two very important things!

Go into "Maintain My Account" and make sure it looks similar to this:

Quote:
You have a current SimsHost subscription.
Your subscription will expire on 2006-07-xx xx:xx:xx.

Your account balance is $xxx.xx

Automatic subscription renewal from your account balance is enabled.

Your account will SimsHost automatically be charged $2.00 per month as long as you maintain a balance in your account. We do not do recurring charges to PayPal or credit cards.

Click Here to disable automatic subscription renewal.

Otherwise you'll be charged 50c per item! You'll also probably take more than a month to spend that amount and you want your subscription to be automatically extended. Believe me, you want that!

Nancy
The Spoiled Brat

The Spoiled Brat
Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:57 pm
Quote:
Thanks again, and I'm sorry if my original post seemed "accusitory" in tone (I just read it again...) as it wasn't meant to be!

I didn't read it that way at all, sweetie!
I just sent you an email.
You're all set! I reset your password and it's working great! bounce

nanci2121
Zirconia Wolf
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:11 am
Hmmmm....

So far, no luck.

I can log in to my SimsHost Account (Manage Your Account) just fine. (Using the password I originally created)

Eveything reads fine (tells me my account is active, how much $$$ I have in it, etc.....) so then I click the SHOP tab & go to the SimsHost homepage. I find the site I want to download from (in this caes, TrollSims, for The Sims 1 ) , click on what I want to download, enter my SimsHost Username/Password combo (the same ones that get me into my Account page just fine) and my download program (GetRight) says that it's downloading the file I want, but all I end up with is an HTML page from SimsHost telling me that I need to be a member of SimsHost to download the file(s) that I joined SimsHost to get in the first place!

***sigh***

I've tried dumping my Internet Explorer History files (twice) with no luck. I'm holding off on re-setting IE to no longer log me in automatically untill I hear back from SimsHost support about my password. I'm a little disturbed that I was told that my password had to be reset, yet I can log onto my Account just fine with the one I made originally....

Oh well, they say paitence is a virtue..... smile

-ZW (Andrea)
miros1
Post Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:26 am
I can't use GetRight with SimsHost easily either!

If it's just a few things, I turn GetRight off.

If there's a lot of stuff, I open up the GetRight window and pick "Schedule Download Start." Then I select all the stuff I want from one site. Go back to the GetRight window, drag across the files, right click, and pick "Change User Name and Password."

Apparently GetRight doesn't pick up the user name and password from the IE dialog. Pain in the tail!

Back to working on my update...

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:38 am
The problem might be the download program. They can be quite cantankerous. I'm guessing that you're right; it's probably that GetRight isn't handling the login correctly.

(Bad pun: Maybe GetRight isn't getting it right. Grin)

If you want to save the zip file, try just letting Internet Explorer save the file. Or right-click and "Save target as..."

Saving the zip file is a pretty good way to build a backup library for your downloads, but I usually skip that step. When I download, I just tell Internet Explorer to open the file. It starts up WinZip and WinZip opens the file. Then I can extract the goodies directly to my Downloads folder.

Yeah, I'm sure we can figure this out. If the site accepts your login then that part is working; the glitch is happening in the transfer of the zip file.

Are you using the latest version of Internet Explorer? Up until a couple of years ago IE had a bug where once in a while you'd see a blank white page instead of the download. We haven't seen that bug in a long time but it's a possibility.

miros1
Post Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:51 am
Greg wrote:
(Bad pun: Maybe GetRight isn't getting it right. Grin)

I should thwap you with a rolled up newspaper!

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:24 am
As long as it's not that stinky ol' trout!

It looks like we cross-posted, coming to the same conclusion. Is it easy to turn off GetRight? (I've never used a download program; don't understand what they add to the experience.)

miros1
Post Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:20 pm
Well, I.E. seems to have some sort of built in throttling (or maybe it's certain servers) so only 2 things will download at any time. This includes pages, graphics, zip files, you name it.

Examples: If you want to quickly click 3 things, you end up having to wait for the first one to finish downloading before you can request the 3rd one. If you've got 2 things downloading and want to move to another page, the page comes up v...e...r...y......s...l...o...w...l...y...

GetRight seems to make the downloads more efficient (will get 3 things at a time, 4-6 if you've been site hopping) and keeps the downloads from interfering with pages and graphics loading.

Believe me, I wouldn't use it if IE did a better job itself!

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:47 pm
That makes sense. I'd guess that the server queues up requests for files from each user who is currently connected and all requests from a single IE are all from the same user. GetRight might appear as a separate connection so that it gets processed as another entry in the queue.

I've never had a problem with our server's speed, though, so I suspect the advantage of GetRight would be diminished if it's at all apparent. Our major problem is that the server's net connection can overwhelm some of the smaller local ISP's machines. (It hits the net through mulitple paths via 10 backbones; total 1 terabit per second.)

Zirconia Wolf
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:38 pm
UPDATE: All systems are (finally) go!!!

It seems that my problem was with GetRight after all! Since turning it "off", I've been downloading to my little old hearts content! (Like I really need anymore stuff in my Sims Game.....)

My thanks to the SimsHost Suppport Staff who didn't take a club to me over this whole thing!

-ZW

Oh, to answer the question as to why I purchased GetRight (which has worked flawlesly except for here, BTW) in the first place: I am only a recent "convert" to the whole Cable-Connection scene. If you were a Dial-Up using PC Gamer with a love for "building" type games (think Emperor, Zeus, COTN, ZooTyccon, etc.) and desperately wanted to download even the "offical" extras for the game (the Asian Elephant for ZT ran 3.4 MB alone) you would be searching for a more stable download program too! (My old internet "service" provider was fond of dumping my connection if I was on one site for "too long with no activity". Never mind that I was only 10 minutes into what was going to be a 3 or 4 hour download! )

GetRight has saved my bacon more times than I can count with it's Resume feature and ability to use "mirror sites" (getting diffenet "parts" of the same file off 2,3,4 or more sites when possible), giving me the chance to add content to my games that would have been impossible with just Dail-Up & Internet Explorer.

Not that I'm ever going back to Dial-Up mind you! It's just I've been using GetRight for so long now I just never thought to turn it off! It's just always been "the way" I "got" stuff onto my trusty computer.