Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic :dl: Geaulee House
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
mikedelaney16
Senior SimsHost Fan
Post Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:19 pm
miros1 wrote:
The driveway isn't the only "crook" thing on that lot! The road is rippled!

Hehe, it's a San Francisco road, or maybe an Irish one, not sure which.
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:12 pm
Way cool! Noitloaf just went up a notch! Grin

Marmy
Crabby Old Woman
Post Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:57 pm
Ok....no offense meant at this question and maybe I'm asking because I have this thing about wasted space in a house.....but what function do the closets serve? I can't bring myself to build a house with closets even though it might look cool....simply because I see it as wasted space. It's the same thing for my houses. They are all one story because I can't see buiding a house with rooms that aren't going to be used and when I try to build more than one story because other people might like to play them, I just can't get past the "not needed" stage of building.

Ok, I know I have hangups, but I'm old and set in my ways......

--------------------

When the dreamer's in the zone, leave em alone!

www.simplysimilicious.com
Kaylyn
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:47 pm
Personally, I've just gotten into this phase where I like the houses to look realistic. Some closets (like the walk-in ones usually found in master bedrooms) are actually big enough to hold a dresser, so that adds a bit of functionality and realism (sims have to go to the closet to get their clothes...makes sense). Sometimes if there are too many doors too close together, I turn a closet into a niche with a bookcase. I can see both sides of the equation. If you're looking to build a house with limited funds and no cheating, it makes sense not to waste any space. I know that on my multiple Legacy attempts I do the same thing. But I'm a storyteller as well, and when I'm creating a story the house becomes the backdrop, so I like it to look realistic, building off of floor plans. I'm actually not cheating with the Bellevue story (funds-wise) so when I built up enough money I did remodel the house to a floor plan, closets included. But for future stories money will not be an issue as I am writing them ahead of time and then just acting them out through the game. It's just that little extra bit of depth. Even if that laundry room is never used, or if no one else but me notices that closet door is there, it helps immerse me in my storytelling because I know it's there. So it really depends on my mood and what I'm doing, and also how much wiggle room the floor plan I'm working off of leaves me because I round off 3 square feet on the floor plan for each square on the game. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, and sometimes I have to be creative.

That's just my two cents. Both ways appeal to different types of people and also how the house is going to be used, and whether or not motherlode is involved. smile

miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:34 pm
I'm sure someone (yo! Grandma!) will invent a "dresser" that looks like hanging clothes which can be nicely "hung" in a closet.

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Marmy
Crabby Old Woman
Post Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:41 pm
Heck, that's an easy request....even *I* can do that one......

--------------------

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:58 am
Do it! Do it! Having clothes hanging in the cloests would be neat! Having them work as clothing chests would be even neater!

I'm not at all consistent house building. Some of my houses are optimized for game play and sometimes I just get obsessessed with building a realistic house.

Yup, as it is, closets and utility rooms are a waste of space in a game-play house. An air return plenum is an even bigger waste of space! lol

When I build realistic houses I add a lot of fiddly little details. Many of my houses even have garages cluttered with Kelly's garage things and decorative cars parked in the driveway, even though I still haven't installed Nightlife.

I've decided I am going to install Nightlife and Open for Business one of these years, but at the moment I have more projects I want to do with my game as it is than I have time to do. One of the nuttiest projects is populating an entire neighborhood (almost) exclusively with teenagers, just to see if I can do it. The only function of adults is to seed lots with teens.

Marmy
Crabby Old Woman
Post Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:13 pm
OH MY GOSH. What did you name that neighborhood? To me, that would be the worst nightmare of my life.

--------------------

miros1
Post Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:32 pm
If I did that, I'd have to put lot timers on all the lots and keep them very even... and send the kids all to college at the same time too!

Marmy
Crabby Old Woman
Post Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:23 am
Oaklie Doaklie......I finished making the clothing rack for a closet, now I just need to get the door action so that it will open like the dresser does and it will be ready. I should be able to do it tomorrow and have it ready for download!

--------------------

miros1
Post Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:09 am
Sounds wonderful!

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:25 am
Marmy wrote:
OH MY GOSH. What did you name that neighborhood? To me, that would be the worst nightmare of my life.

Eh... heh. Teen Town is named Cherry Orchard. blush

It's quite an interesting challenge. First I had to figure out how to even create the place. I started out by creating a couple of families where there was one adult and a bunch of teens, and then sent the adults off to college.

Then I hit on the TOLAD Technique. There's one adult who moves from lot to lot, seeding the orchard, so to speak. She uses the Tombstone of Life and Death to drop off one teen on a lot and then moves out with "Find Own Place."

That one teen can create roommates with the TOLAD. After that, it's up to the teens to survive.

I haven't played it much but I'm kind of getting the hang of it.

Obviously the enemies are time and money. At first I thought that for sure the teens would need a motherlode to build a decent house, but that might not be the case. I haven't yet tried it with just the $20,000 starting capital that every family gets.

One thing I want to try is moving teens from lot to lot. Seed several lots and then have them move in together and pool their capital. They can't do this via the sim bin but they can move in directly.

I also haven't tried the headmaster scenario, so I don't know what he thinks of a family without parents.

So far I've kept 'aging off'. I want to see if the teens can even survive without going bankrupt or bonkers. (Of course I won't let that happen; I have too much empathy for my simmies.)

I don't have a teen pregnancy mod installed so there's no chance for babies and children to happen in Teen Town.

Having them go to college and grow would kinda spoil the whole thing. Then I'd want to play them through college. They all end up moving back to the neighborhood and suddenly Teen Town would be overrun with respectable adults! Can't have that happen!

miros1
Post Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:31 am
You need NL or OFB so you can create a place to move them after they graduate...

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:09 pm
miros1 wrote:
You need NL or OFB so you can create a place to move them after they graduate...

That's a neat idea. Sort of an old-folks-home for grups to keep them out of the teens' hair.

Marmy
Crabby Old Woman
Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:33 pm
AAAAAHHHHHH!!!!! Ok, I'm too frustrated by trying to make the doors work so I'm just gonna post the file "as is" and if any of you want to try and make the door action work (opening and closing of the doors) then feel free to take the package and do with what you can. I could get the doors to work, but couldn't tie it to the texture, then I got it tied to the texture, but it only showed the frame and clothing rack, not the doors. Then the last try had it looking great, but the doors wouldn't work again so I finally just gave up. There is something I'm missing somewhere and I don't know what. If you download it and get it all to work, PLEASE send me e-mail telling me what it was that you did so I'll know where I went wrong.

Marmy's Closet Clothing Rack

The rack is built based on a closet that is two tiles wide and one tile deep. Don't put in a wall in the front of the closet, just leave the two tiles that would have been the front of the closet open and slide the rack in to fit. The doors make up what would normally be the dresser doors and you can click on those to get the change clothes actions.

Last edited by Marmy on Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

--------------------

:dl: Geaulee House