:dl: Geaulee House
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:30 pm
Geaulee House
207 N Adams Street
Bonnyview Shores

August 1, 2008: This lot is available again! I put it here on Sun Sims. Grin

Geaulee House - 207 N Adams Street (Residential Lot. Unfurnished.)

This one owes its birth to the discussion of Maxoidmonkey's Ultimate Soccer Kit in the Glamour Life topic. (You can get Maxoidmonkey's soccer-fan clothing from the EA site. It's a free download.)

I wanted to test the Soccer Set before I fiddled with it, so I downloaded and installed it, and then created a family to wear the new duds. Thus was born the Geaulee family. (That's pronounced "go-LEE." Get it?) Quite predictably I become more interested in the family than in what they were wearing. I figured a bunch of soccer fans would fit in with the aliens, elves, and other oddities in Bonnyview Shores, so I moved them in.

The Geaulee Family
This picture is just for your amusement; not a download. Brandon Geaulee created by Maxoidmonkey. You get him with the Ultimate Soccer Kit download from EA. (See above.) His wife Anaserre is a clone of the hula zombie. Their three children--teen Zoe, child Yonkers, and toddler Xavier--were created as their genetic offspring in the Create-A-Family tool in the game.

Then they needed a house to live in. I started building a house for a family of five, thinking I'd just whip out a quick-and-dirty little box for them to live in. I kept getting ideas and the house grew some interesting features in the building, to the point that I realized I'd built something rather interesting and unique, so here it is!

Scroll down to the next messages for a tour of the Geaulee House.

Last edited by Greg on Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:56 pm; edited 3 times in total

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:41 pm
Geaulee House - Part 2

Kids' Rooms

The large bedroom at the front of the house belongs to Zoe, the teenager. She's the oldest so she gets the biggest room. Zoe's room features enough space for her desk, vanity, chest of drawers, and even a double bed with side tables so that she can play Canasta with her friends.

It also has a nice 1x2 closet. Closets are totally worthless to sims but this house just didn't seem right without closets.

The unfinished 1x1 area next to Zoe's closet is the air return plenum for the air-conditioning system. Sims houses don't have ventilation systems, but darn it, they ought to! So this one does!

Each of the boys has his own 4x5 room and of course they also have 1x2 closets. That's plenty of room for a single bed, desk, and the other odd stromata that little boys tend to collect.

The kids' bathrooms are strategically located right across the hall. We'll get to the shape of that odd collection of plumbing a bit later in the tour.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:48 pm
Geaulee House - Part 3

Hallway
Ceiling by Photoshop.

Here we're looking down the all toward the master bedroom from the door to Zoe's room. Immediately to the right is the short hall leading to the living room, and farther down the hall on the right are the kids' bathrooms.

Note the odd door on the left. That's the linen closet. Again, sims' houses don't have linen closets, but they sure ought to!

The tan walls with white molding are right out of my real house in Wylie, Texas. They're used throughout the Geaulee house and probably will show up as part of the download. They'll appear in the painted walls section priced at just $2 per panel.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:57 pm
Geaulee House - Part 4

Master Bedroom
Another ceiling by Photoshop.

The master bedroom sports a double-door walk-in closet for Anaserre and a smaller 1x2 closet for Brandon.

Through the arch you can see just a bit of the bathroom. Yup, that's a linen closet! I really liked the effect that I got by forcing the game to place a door where it didn't want to. It looks like the linen closet's door has been painted to match the walls but the door frame and door handle still show.

Milady's dressing area is to the left, complete with a vanity.

The alcove on the right is the double-door entry to the bedroom.

These images show the house as I initially furnished it but the download is completely unfurnished. I moved the family out before I packaged the lot for download and they took all their stuff with them.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:18 pm
Gaulee House - Part 5

Bathroom Complex

This is a mixture of real-world architecture and some allowances for sims' behavior in the game. All the potties are stowed away in 1x3 water closets, each with a sink in its own cabinet. The sinks are essential; I have the always-wash-hands hack installed so that my sims always wash their hands after they use the pot if there is a sink in the same room.

From inside the house it seems like a long way from the master bath to the kids' bathrooms, but you can see from this view that I clustered the wet walls to minimize the plumbing runs.

The master bath features a dual shower because Brandon and Anaserre are a fun-loving couple but you can replace those showers with a 1x2 tub if you want to. That might be a good idea if you have a toddler in the house. (Which, come to think of it, they do. I'll have to consider that when I move the family back in.)

The kids' showers are in seperate 1x2 stalls, available even if someone is using the potties. This was a total sop to game play but there's plenty of room to build a more conventional bathroom if you would prefer that. Note that none of the bathrooms are on exterior walls; hence, no windows. If you put in a ceiling light and turn it on permanently, your sims will be happy.

That's another hack I'd like to see: Sims ought to turn on lights when the want lights and turn them off if they leave an empty room.

You can also see Anaserre and Zoe boning up on their cooking skills in the living room. Baby Xavier is having a snack.

Daddy Brandon was at work when I took this shot. He an Anaserre both got jobs as test subjects at Jeannie Jump's Weird Things Test Facility but Anaserre was just a few minutes too late to make it to work today.

Anaserre taught Xavier to talk!
Eh? Green shoes with a red-and-blue outfit?

It was just fine with baby Xavier that mommy stayed home from work today. He got a lot of attention from her and she even taught him how to talk! His first phrase was "Kill the umpire!" immediately followed by "Read to me, mommy!"

Kaylyn
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:21 pm
I like this house! I'm gonna hafta download it when I get to a better connection. I love houses based on real plans, including closets and all that. My site's gonna have a lot of that, at least at first till I get better at creating CC.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:22 pm
Geaulee House - Part 6

Closets!

The arrangement of the closets in the kids' rooms is right out of my house in League City, Texas, as is the basic layout of this house. It's also very similar to the layout of my house in El Lago, Texas, where I am now.

Again: These views show the house as I initially furnished it but the house in the download is unfurnished.

Last edited by Greg on Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:28 pm
lunahskye wrote:
I like this house! I'm gonna hafta download it when I get to a better connection. I love houses based on real plans, including closets and all that. My site's gonna have a lot of that, at least at first till I get better at creating CC.

Thanks! Yup, as you can see, this house is sort of merger of three different houses but mostly it's based on the 4-bedroom house I had in League City. This house in El Lago is so similar that you'd be able to find your way around in either house if you've seen the other. The house up in Wylie is completely different; fancier, but smaller. I pilfered the idea for the pull-outs from the Wylie house.

In fact, you'd be able to find your way around this house based on viewing these screen shots. At this very moment, I'm sitting in my study, which would be the middle son's bedroom in the Geaulee house. My computer desk is where the head of Yonkers's bed and his nightstand are shown, with another desk (and three more computers) behind me.

Note that the download is nearly 3 megabytes. I should have gone back in and cleaned out all custom content, but I didn't think of that at the time.

Kaylyn
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:34 pm
Greg wrote:
Thanks! Yup, as you can see, this house is sort of merger of three different houses but mostly it's based on the 4-bedroom house I had in League City. This house in El Lago is so similar that you'd be able to find your way around in either house if you've seen the other. The house up in Wylie is completely different; fancier, but smaller. I pilfered the idea for the pull-outs from the Wylie house.

Note that the download is nearly 3 megabytes. I should have gone back in and cleaned out all custom content, but I didn't think of that at the time.

Just added 20 bucks to my account yesterday so I can afford it! lol Now you got me all inspired to build my house in Minden and my old apartment in Pineville! Grin

(And then I may recreate my college campus, and my high school...Kaylyn, this is your life!) Rolling on the Floor Laughing

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:47 pm
Geaulee House - Part 7

Living Room

I gave the Geaulees a motherlode started furnishing the bedrooms. Then I did the formal dining room (coming right up in a message below) and had to start adding a kaching every time they ran out of money. By the time I got to the living room, I was growing wearing of slipping more money into their budget.

As a result, they can't afford a television yet but if they had one, it would be right there.

The dual love seats are another sop to game play. I often put two or even three ranks of dual love seats in front of the television so that the whole family can watch television together.

There's baby Xavier chowing down again. After this meal he conned Nanny Sophie out of a bottle. Unfortunately, Nanny Sophie wasn't dressed for a public appearance so I can't show a screen shot here.

Happy Xavier
It takes a lot of milk to fuel a budding soccer player.

These outfits are beginning to grow on me. I just might not have them change into other clothes. I think it's really cute on the toddler.

----------
Afterthought: Oh, what the heck. If you're a grown-up and not offended by nekkid boobies and want to see another cute toddler shot, complete with a really cute nearly naked young adult nanny, peek here. Note that I put The Trinity on the hallway wall behind Sophie.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:55 pm
lunahskye wrote:

Just added 20 bucks to my account yesterday so I can afford it! lol Now you got me all inspired to build my house in Minden and my old apartment in Pineville! Grin

(And then I may recreate my college campus, and my high school...Kaylyn, this is your life!) Rolling on the Floor Laughing

That sounds like fun! When I built the high school in Happy Valley I quickly learned that it was hopeless to attempt to re-create either of my high schools (Peoria Central and Galesburg, Illinois). Central had over 2000 students and Galesburg more than 3000. Those buildings would have taken up a whole neighborhood!

I've been tempted to try to re-create The Quad at the University of Illinois in a campus town; just haven't got around to it. We can forget about the campus dorms, though. Just Garner Hall (part of the Men's Residence Halls) wouldn't fit on a lot and even if it did, that many students would bring the game to a dead stop.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:06 pm
Geaulee House - Part 8

Geaulee House features a formal entry.

Another feature that has no value to game play: A formal entry with coat closets. I didn't integrate the entry as well as I might have into the architecture of this house, but at least it's there.

The formal entry plays a very significant role in homes on the Texas gulf coast--it limits the air exchange between the hot, humid outdoors and the nice, comfortable indoors. Up north it plays the opposite role, keeping the heat in the house. It also provides a place to doff your boots and coats on those nasty, wintery days.

That was especially important back in the days when people walked to where they wanted to go. Remember walking? It's rather a lost art these days.

It's also a great haven for those who suffer from shoephobia, an obscure but significant phenomenon that I have not encountered anywhere except within a certain culture in northern New York.

In sims' homes, those 1x3 closets can easily be outfitted as extra restrooms for guests.

I like to put overhead lights on covered porches and always put a burglar alarm outside. Use the move_objects command to do that.

I didn't get a good screen shot of the formal dining room but you can catch a glimpse of it in the upper right corner of this picture.

Last edited by Greg on Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:11 pm
Geaulee House - Part 9

Kitchen and Utility Room

By the time I got to the kitchen and utility room, I had decided that I wanted to move the family out and package this lot up for download, so I didn't even think of furnishing them. In fact, I didn't even build the walls to partition off the utility room at the back of the house.

Sims have no use for a utility room but this area might make a nice spot for a den or game room. In my houses in League City and El Lago, the kitchen is adjacent to the dining room, then the breakfast room, and then the utility room at the back of the house.

The El Lago house has a rear entrance to that goes to a breezeway out to the garage, but unfortunately in The Sims 2 the garage has to be on the other side of the house. I left space for a garage over there to the left of the house, just in case I someday decide to install Nightlife again.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:20 pm
Geaulee House - Part 10

Back Yard

The back yard features a nice deck and an in-ground pool, of course.

A real Texas home is more likely to be built on a slab so the deck would become a patio, but at least the idea is there.

The back wall is kinda blank on one side because that's where the utility room goes. That wall ought to have the main breaker box, gas feed, and electric meter on it. And, as I mentioned earlier, in this house in El Lago it also would have the back door that accesses the garage.

Where the deck is in Geaulee House, this house has two windows and double glass doors overlooking the back yard and a view of Taylor Lake, one of the three lakes that give El Lago its name. We don't have a swimming pool but we do have bunch of tall trees and a nifty little planting area in the middle of the yard that includes a cactus and palm tree along with the southern yellow pines and other trees.

Kaylyn
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:27 pm
You do know that if you have enough room, you can put a garage on the right side of the house! That's the way the Jennings' house is, built from a floor plan that had a garage on that side. Even managed to attach the garage directly to the house, which was built on a foundation. That house was built on the supersize lot (6x6? 6x5?) that came with Nightlife, but could have been pulled off on a 5x5 as well. The trick is to keep the house built towards the left side of the lot. Of course, if you're a stickler for keeping the entrance right in front of the mailbox and trashcan, that may not always be possible.

Searching right now for a reversed driveway...could've sworn I'd seen it somewhere...

:dl: Geaulee House