Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Edgewood
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Edgewood
Lydia
Senior SimsHost Fan
Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:36 pm
Ok after much convincing from Kaylyn I have decided to share my first attempt at a Sims story with you guys. I have always taken lots of pictures of my Sims and had plans of making a story but I never got around to it. One night inspiration hit. I was surprised how easily new ideas came to me. I have been writing for fun since I was a child and I have been the victim of writer’s block much too often. Things are going well so far so we’ll see how this story goes. I think it will be better than my others because I’m not worried about creating an ending for this one.

I hope you enjoy it. At the least I hope I don’t bore you to death. smile

“Sure, I had a happy childhood. Well, my parents never beat me or anything if that’s what you’re asking. Yeah I got the occasional spanking but it was never over the top or anything.”

“My mom? Yeah that’s her, Gretchen Brown. She writes those paperback romance novels you find in airports…or truck stops for that matter. She did pretty good for herself. We never went hungry or anything.”

“That’s my father. Paul Brown. Ever heard of him? He had his fifteen minutes of fame with that whole “I’ve got the cure for vampirism,” thing. It was a great idea ok, well maybe not so great considering vampires are mythical creatures, but his heart was in the right place.”

“But seriously, my dad is a super-smart guy. What’s he do for a living? Umm, well he stays in his lab a lot. Mom’s pretty much the bread winner so he’s free to work on his inventions and stuff. Any cash he ever brought in usually went right back out in insurance premiums. You have any idea how high insurance is when you have a mad scientist of sorts living under the same roof?”

Senior SimsHost Fan
Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:38 pm

“Oh yeah, Stacey… She’s ok, for a little sister. Make that a cute little sister. I always figured she wouldn’t have gotten out of so much stuff if she had some sort of horrible overbite or something like that.”

“I mean, look at her! She had the lip trembling pout down to a science before she was out of diapers. I always thought she would be good in politics.”

“Never knew my grandparents. Any of them. Now that I think of it I guess it is kind of weird. Mom’s disappeared before I was walking. Some African safari gone wrong. There wasn’t a funeral or anything. I guess Mom thinks they will get tired of the savannah one day and come home.

“Their house across town is still exactly like it was the day they left. Well, except for the fish. Mom said they would like it better if they had some company. I’m still surprised she didn’t try to set them free. She’s all in that whole “animals shouldn’t be in captivity,” thing. I dunno. I mean come on, who ever heard of free ranging Pomeranians?”

“As for my dad’s parents... Well if they’re anything like him there’s no telling what really happened to them.”

“So yeah, I guess my childhood was pretty typical.”

Sammie5460
SimsHost Veteran
Post Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:53 am
I like your story so far! Can't wait to read more! wink

sims 2 rocks!
Kaylyn
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:43 am
Yay! So far, so good!

I'll be your architect if you'll be my interior designer! For some reason I always seem to forget the little touches that make the houses come to life. I guess I'm a function-over-form kind of girl. I tend to throw in the necessities wherever I can cram them and forget about the plants, art, etc. The Jennings house is about to undergo a remodel once I get some people shuffled around, which should give me a lot of extra money to finally finish the house. I hate the way everything is scattered about, but I've been skimping to try to save some money up for them. At least I finally got the garage fixed up...do you have any idea how hard it is to add a ground-level garage to a house with a foundation? Stumbled across a tutorial on the MySpace Sims 2 group boards that explained everything...it was still a pain to do! Grin

Re: Edgewood
dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:04 am
Lydia wrote:
Ok after much convincing from Kaylyn I have decided to share my first attempt at a Sims story with you guys.

Yay! And off to a nice start. I like the first-person voice, and you pick great camera angles.

Your pictures look so different from mine in terms of skintones and stuff; different video card? I upgraded to an NVidia GeForce 6200 the other month (and am starting to wish I'd been a little less cheap and sprung for a 6600 or 6800).

Looking forward to more!
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:39 am
Yay! I really enjoyed the story of your viewpoint character's life! (What's her name?)

You have a great writing style. In just a few words you've laid out a very rich background that defines the characters in depth.

I won't go on about writing style, though. Science fiction writer Larry Niven once gave me some sage advice: "Never join a writers group. They can only discourage you."

Within my experience, Niven was right. There's a strong tendency to think about the audience while you're writing. That throws you out of the story at a time when you need to be inside the story and just write down what the characters are experiencing and thinking about.

Ack! Gotta run! I'm being attacked by a pack of feral Pomeranians! shocked

Kaylyn
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:12 pm
Greg wrote:
Science fiction writer Larry Niven once gave me some sage advice: "Never join a writers group. They can only discourage you."

Hey cool, I didn't know you rubbed elbows with Larry Niven! I just thought the stuff you'd said before about things he said were things you'd read or heard about! Grin

Greg also wrote:
Ack! Gotta run! I'm being attacked by a pack of feral Pomeranians!

Why am I suddenly in the mood to watch The Osbournes? lol

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:27 pm
lunahskye wrote:
Greg wrote:
Science fiction writer Larry Niven once gave me some sage advice: "Never join a writers group. They can only discourage you."

Hey cool, I didn't know you rubbed elbows with Larry Niven! I just thought the stuff you'd said before about things he said were things you'd read or heard about! Grin

I've crossed paths with Niven several times while I was out and about, committing crimes against normalcy. The earliest time that I recall was Westercon in Vancouver, BC in 1977:

Jerry Pournelle, Larry Niven, and Our Primary Guilty Party, nearly 30 years ago
Photo by Tom Veal pilfered from his Stromata web site.

We were doing a panel on space colonies. Jerry was drunk. Larry kept lighting his pipe and thinking profound thoughts. I did most of the talking. That's me at the viewgraph machine, just before I sat down. I gave the fans an overview of the space colonies idea and then we broke into a panel discussion with a question-and-answer session. Pournelle on the left. Niven in the middle.

In the time since then Larry stopped smoking, Jerry kept drinking, and I got some science fiction stories published so I joined the SFWA crowd. The discussion about writers groups happened several years later, at Norwescon in Seattle.

Lydia
Senior SimsHost Fan
Post Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:11 pm
Thank you everyone for your compliments. I was terrified to post this. Surprisingly it didn’t hurt at all. Grin

lunahskye wrote:
I'll be your architect if you'll be my interior designer!

I love your houses! I don’t have the patience to build my own. I have found that I am really enjoying interior design. Since I am still taking basic design classes I hang out with a lot of interior design type people. I guess they are rubbing off on me.

lunahskye wrote:
The Jennings house is about to undergo a remodel once I get some people shuffled around, which should give me a lot of extra money to finally finish the house.

I’m excited to see your remodel of the Jennings home. I still can’t believe that even though they are technically a story family you haven’t cheated to increase their funds. It is great that you still have that legacy-ish feeling.

dmchess wrote:
Your pictures look so different from mine in terms of skintones and stuff; different video card? I upgraded to an NVidia GeForce 6200 the other month (and am starting to wish I'd been a little less cheap and sprung for a 6600 or 6800).

I have an NVidia GeForce 6600. This is my “school laptop.” I bought it just for my design. I really lucked out on this computer. I wouldn’t have gotten it if a certain chain electronics store hadn’t lost my laptop. They let me pick out a new computer minus the price I originally paid. I wanted a new laptop anyway and it was nice to be able to get a newer, better laptop because of their goof. I won’t go into the specs unless you’re really curious. Its not the best but its better than I would have been able to get on my own at that time.

Greg wrote:
I really enjoyed the story of your viewpoint character's life! (What's her name?)

The story is going to follow Brendon (the little boy in the last picture) for a while. I wanted to do some back-story but I didn’t want to put the reader (or myself) to sleep. If all goes well I would like to follow his offspring. I enjoyed writing the intro in first person but there will only be small portions that are written that way. Eventually I might write an entire story from inside my character’s head. That could be interesting! smile

Greg wrote:

Larry Niven gives some great advice! A friend of mine is an aspiring writer. I’m not sure if he still attends but he used to go to a writer’s group every week. He allowed me to read his rough drafts and I thought he was doing well. Every week he would return from the group frustrated. He would write and rewrite to try to please his peers but not himself. That group did more to stifle his creativity than they did to promote it.

SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:00 pm
Lydia wrote:
Larry Niven gives some great advice! A friend of mine is an aspiring writer. I’m not sure if he still attends but he used to go to a writer’s group every week. He allowed me to read his rough drafts and I thought he was doing well. Every week he would return from the group frustrated. He would write and rewrite to try to please his peers but not himself. That group did more to stifle his creativity than they did to promote it.

That's awful! I'm all for constructive criticism and everything to a certain extent, but to bring someone to the point that they don't enjoy their writing anymore?

That's why I'm having so much fun writing the Bellevue story. I've managed to work out a plot, but it's going to take time to get the key players positioned for the plot to really continue (though I've been dropping hints like crazy to keep a common theme throughout all the sidebars!). In the meantime I'm having fun telling their day-to-day lives. And though I did originally sign up here to see what a group of complete strangers thought of my writing, I'm not doing it to please them, and it makes it even better when I hear a positive comment because I know I just did it for me and it's good as it is.

(Of course when I get ready to work on my publish-worthy stuff, it might be a completely different story!)

Seriously, your story is fun to read so far, and I'm not saying that just because you know where I sleep (at least during hometime!) Grin

Greg wrote:
In the time since then Larry stopped smoking, Jerry kept drinking, and I got some science fiction stories published so I joined the SFWA crowd.

To blatantly derail Lydia's thread even further...where might we track down some of these stories? Grin

miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:56 pm
Quote:
To blatantly derail Lydia's thread even further...where might we track down some of these stories?

Analog, early 90s. Greg's got a list here in the Hullabaloo! somewhere.

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
miros1
Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:24 am
Try this:
http://www.analogsf.com/search/index.shtml and type in "gregory r bennett".

I know there was a version of "Fish Tank" online at one point. Don't remember where...

miros1
Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:27 am
Try this:
http://www.analogsf.com/search/index.shtml and type in "gregory r bennett".

I know there was a version of "Fish Tank" online at one point. Don't remember where...

Ah ha! I found it... Knew it was on asi, but the search didn't work...

http://www.asi.org/bios/grb/grb-bibliography.html

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:19 pm
miros1 wrote:
Quote:
To blatantly derail Lydia's thread even further...where might we track down some of these stories?

Analog, early 90s. Greg's got a list here in the Hullabaloo! somewhere.

This is list hasn't been updated in 11 years but I haven't had any new SF stories published since then, either:
http://www.asi.org/bios/grb/grb-bibliography.html

Thank link to "Fish Tank" is broken. Tale.com went out of business.

Nancy
The Spoiled Brat

The Spoiled Brat
Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:24 pm
Gretchen is beautiful! I can't ever get my sims to look like that! confused

nanci2121
Edgewood