Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic SimPE Family Ties Tutorial
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:54 pm
lunahskye wrote:
Greg wrote:
I don't have the guts to try making a sim a child of the Grim Reaper, but it might be fun to try getting the Grim Reaper pregnant!

Hmm, that could be interesting! It's definitely possible to make a sim a child of the Grim Reaper (as evidenced by Nervous Subject in Strangetown). InSimenator even has an option for Grimpregnation. But a pregnant Grim Reaper...

*evil laughter*

Do it, do it! And take pictures! Rolling on the Floor Laughing

Nervous is Greaper's child? Omigoodness! shocked

I just looked him up in my game, but he only shows one parent: Olive Specter. Darn.

I'm wondering how risky it would be to fiddle with the Grim Reaper. I think I'll try it in an otherwise empty neighborhood first, just in case I end up hosing the whole neighborhood.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:32 pm
Nevertheless, I'm happy to report that Skylar Bear was able to call his long-lost mother and make friends with her over the phone.

Skylar Bear Calls His Mom

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:35 pm
lunahskye wrote:
Oh my! blush

Now that you mention it, SimPE does weird things to my Sims, too. I use it mainly to go in and break up crushes and loves that I don't want in my game anymore (like Orlando's flings during his breakup with Beverly, or the affairs Keith had with both Pierce and Audrey that didn't make it into the story). But it seems like randomly it will change things I didn't even touch! For example, suddenly he's not wearing his wedding ring. He has memories of a wedding party, but not of actually getting married to Laura. I promise I didn't mess with his memories, so I don't know how it happened.

I suspect that SimPE did not change their relationships in my game. Based on the date of the last screen shot in that household, it's been almost a year since I last played there: July 15, 2005. So there might have been something going on among the three of them. I'm not surprised that Skylar and Sophie were going steady but I didn't expect them to have a relationship with Andrea Hogan.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:42 pm
Oh... I've got it! The thing about Skylar Bear and Sophie Miguel going steady is just a cover story. They need some explanation for spending so much time together at high school because it's a deep, dark secret that Skylar is Sophie's father.
Grin

I'm really just trying to decide whether to get back into SimPE and unwire their family relationships or just straigthen out their interpersonal relationships to match. I kinda like the family tree the way it turned out; just gotta get Skylar caught up with Andrea so that it makes sense for him to be married to her.

dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:38 pm
lunahskye wrote:
Now that you mention it, SimPE does weird things to my Sims, too. I use it mainly to go in and break up crushes and loves that I don't want in my game anymore...

I find I'm all nervous just going into SimPE to look at stuff; I've never used it to actually change anything. (When people need to fall out of love in Neighborhood One, they do it the old fashioned way. Grin )

I admire y'all's bravery!
miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:55 pm
I just wanted a few alternative lifestyles. No, not what you're thinking...

Tame stuff like:
Adult/Elder marriage
YA/YA marriage
Adult/Teen siblings
Adult/Child siblings
Elder parents
Teen parents
Emancipated minors

It's also annoying that only adults can be parents in CAS, but I can live with that... I set up the parent/child DNA relationships, then make the Sims the age they're "supposed to be." Now I can set the relationships correctly too!

One more question...

I'm trying to figure out a way to get a household with just a grandparent/grandchild and have it packageable. If I play enough quickly kill off the adult (horrible kitchen fire in a room with locked doors maybe), save, then package the lot, what happens? Is the adult included as a ghost? Or does the adult get replaced by "Mystery Sim"? The other choice is to jack the parent's age up to the point where they'll die of old age shortly after installation...

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:43 am
miros1 wrote:
The other choice is to jack the parent's age up to the point where they'll die of old age shortly after installation...

Or just have the adult Find Own Place?
miros1
Post Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:59 pm
Yeah, thought of that after I hit Submit.

However, the grandparent(s)/grandchild(ren) lot will be packed up as a download.

Anyone know what will happen when the lot gets installed into someone else's game, or do I just have to find a volunteer to find out? (Or install it in an alternate hood of my own)

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:22 am
miros1 wrote:
I just wanted a few alternative lifestyles. No, not what you're thinking...

Tame stuff like:
Adult/Elder marriage
YA/YA marriage
Adult/Teen siblings
Adult/Child siblings
Elder parents
Teen parents
Emancipated minors

It's also annoying that only adults can be parents in CAS, but I can live with that... I set up the parent/child DNA relationships, then make the Sims the age they're "supposed to be." Now I can set the relationships correctly too!

One more question...

I'm trying to figure out a way to get a household with just a grandparent/grandchild and have it packageable. If I play enough quickly kill off the adult (horrible kitchen fire in a room with locked doors maybe), save, then package the lot, what happens? Is the adult included as a ghost? Or does the adult get replaced by "Mystery Sim"? The other choice is to jack the parent's age up to the point where they'll die of old age shortly after installation...

I think the most difficult of those is the emancipated minors. I don't know how to do that without at least leaving behind the memory of a parent. If you started in a blank, deleteallcharacters neighborhood it might not be too tedious to use SimPE to delete all memories of the missing adult.

If you have grandma raising grandchild but not parent in between, what will the family tree look like if you do that? You have grandparents who know the kids and grandchildren but no parent on the wire. It might be best to just leave a tombstone on the lot. Then you don't create an "unknown" sim and users can just delete the tombstone if they so desire.

The easiest way to kill off a sim quickly is Rodney's Death Creator. Spawn it with the Testing Cheats. Select the victim, click on Rodney's Death Creator, and then select the manner of demise. If you want a golden tombstone, shift-click on the sim and set aspiration to max, then choose Die From Old Age. Even a teen can Die From Old Age. Say hello to the Hula Zombies for me!

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:23 am
dmchess wrote:
lunahskye wrote:
Now that you mention it, SimPE does weird things to my Sims, too. I use it mainly to go in and break up crushes and loves that I don't want in my game anymore...

I find I'm all nervous just going into SimPE to look at stuff; I've never used it to actually change anything. (When people need to fall out of love in Neighborhood One, they do it the old fashioned way. Grin )

I admire y'all's bravery!

No worries, David. There are no hair-triggers in SimPE so you can snoop around with reckless abandon as long as you don't choose "Save."

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:41 pm
Hmm... should I move this topic to the Tutorials section?

I'm wondering about the "Allmenus" topic, too.

miros1
Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:35 pm
Yes, this probably should go to tutorials.

On the allmenus thing, I'd just put one new post in a locked thread telling people how to get to the real tut on the SH site.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:46 pm
I'm thinking I'll move 'em both because the open topic gives people a place ask questions and discuss the allmenus thingie.

Edit: On the other hand, once I looked at the actual topic, I saw your point. The link to the tutorial doesn't show up until the second page of the discussion. So I did what you suggested: Created a locked topic with a link to the discussion thread, and left the discussion thread in Discussions & Help.

miros1
Post Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:22 am
Ok, society recognizes my adult/teen and adult/child siblings and my elder/adult marriage... but the Sims themselves don't know about this! They still think they're parent and child!

What's the next step? Or should I find the Big-O-Me discussion and figure it out myself?

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:18 am
miros1 wrote:
Ok, society recognizes my adult/teen and adult/child siblings and my elder/adult marriage... but the Sims themselves don't know about this! They still think they're parent and child!

What's the next step? Or should I find the Big-O-Me discussion and figure it out myself?

Darn. Editing their relationships with the SimPE tool ought to work.

Two more things to check:
  1. Look at the individual characters and see how they think about their relationships with other individuals.

2. Look at their memories in the Neighborhood Memory table and see if they have memories, such as having a child, that don't fit. You might even add appropriate memories like "Got married to..." and "Had baby..." if they aren't there already.

It might be smart to look at the notes in that Big-O-Me discussion anyhow. As I recall, I posted a warning about playing too fast and loose with memories, the risk being that if a sim has a memory of marrying more than one other sim in the same household, the game will crater when it tries to generate the family portrait.

SimPE Family Ties Tutorial