Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic SimPE Family Ties Tutorial
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
SimPE Family Ties Tutorial
miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:56 pm
Where can I get a tutorial on how to modify the relationship table?

I'm trying to make a family with one adult and teen siblings, and CAS won't let me...

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:00 pm
How to Edit Family Relationships in SimPE
Part 1

1. Open SimPE.
    2. Select a neighborhood.
    3. Make a backup of the neighborhood.
    4. Did you make a backup?
      a. Yes: Continue.
      b. No: Go to step 3.

5. Open the neighborhood, and make sure you're opening the right one!*
    6. Are you sure you want to make the planned changes to this house?
      a. Yes: Continue.
      b. No: Stop. Go back into your game and check out the household before you mess it up.**

*Added after I screwed up and edited the wrong neighborhood. embarrassed
**Added after I made a complete mess by making changes that I eventually discovered that I didn't want.

Last edited by Greg on Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:28 am; edited 2 times in total

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:04 pm
Part 2

Select a sim whose relationships we will mangle.

If the family you want isn't the one selected when you first open the Family Ties tool (which is very likely), look in part 5 of this tutorial (below) for how to find the right family and how to pick people from other households.

In this case, our victim is Andrea Hogan in Bonnyview Shores. Andrea is the target because when I opened the Family Ties tool, the Hogan family happened to be the one selected. I saw that Andrea was living with two people and related to neither of them so they had the misfortune of becoming the victims for this exercise.

Last edited by Greg on Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:25 pm
Part 3

Now let's add Sophie Miguel to Andrea's family.

RIGHT-click on the target sim.

Note that Andrea is still selected and we are still in the Hogan household. I right-click on Sophie to select her. The menu pops up and I choose to add Sophie to Andrea's family.

Make Sophie Miguel a child of Andrea Hogan.

Click on Sophie in the family area to select her. Then use the pull-down menu at the bottom of the window to make her Andrea's child.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:42 pm
Part 4

Now to try something really weird. Let's marry teen Skylar Bear to adult Andrea Hogan. Right-click on Sklyar, add him to Andrea's family, and then select "spouse" from the pull-down at the bottom of the window.

Skylar Bear and Andrea Hogan are married.
Note that males are highlighted in blue and females in pink.

In any other neighborhood, they might have thought it odd for Skylar to get married while he was still in high school, but this is, after all, Bonnyview Shores, where normalcy is the only weirdness.

Andrea thought it was just a passing fancy, a mere dalliance, but Skylar takes his responsibilities seriously. Here is the real reason he married Andrea:

Skylar is Sophie's father!

To complete Sophie's set of parents, I selected her in the left-hand column. Then I right-clicked on Skyar to add him to her family.

Skylar came in as Sophie's sibling. I changed that to make him Sophie's father. Sophie is a teenager, so he must be having a terrible time getting through high school. Maybe it's all the time he spends working that cash register at the local supermarket; no time for studies. We all know that Sophie is quite precocious but until tonight I had no idea just how precocious she is!

There goes Sophie's scholarship from the orphanage!

Last edited by Greg on Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:54 pm
Part 5

You can add sims from all over the neighborhood to your sim's family.

The pull-down in the upper left selects a family.

If you have Andrea selected and choose a family other than "Hogan" she will disappear. However, if you choose "All Households" she'll stick around and you can add anybody to her family.

Michelle Kearney and Andrea Hogan are sisters!

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:04 pm
Part 6

Skylar finally found out who his real parents are. Now he wishes he didn't know.

Parents for Skylar

Even NPC's can be parents. Skylar learned that he was Gary Hiatt's woods colt, out of the furshlugginer Social Worker! No wonder she is the way she is! She couldn't keep her own child so now she runs around kidnapping other people's children!

Professional driver on a closed course. Do not attempt. Well, at least wait until I start up my game and see what all this does to it before you try this in your own sims' homes.

I don't have the guts to try making a sim a child of the Grim Reaper, but it might be fun to try getting the Grim Reaper pregnant!

Last edited by Greg on Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:09 pm
Is that enough examples to see how this thing works?

The "Keep Consistent" box in the lower right corner is important. It makes complementary changes in the target sims as you go. I don't know why you'd ever want to uncheck it.

The one thing you can't do here, that you used to be able to, is to make someone an "unknown" type of relative. I used to use that all the time to link up in-laws and such so that they could interact as family. After all, real people think of lots of folks who aren't blood relations as "family."

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:10 pm
Aside: I really hadn't intend to save this mess but I'm curious about how things will go when the Social Worker meets the son that she gave up for adoption so many years ago.

Oh, and don't forget to "Commit" as you go and "Save" when you're done.

Kaylyn
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:11 pm
Greg wrote:
I don't have the guts to try making a sim a child of the Grim Reaper, but it might be fun to try getting the Grim Reaper pregnant!

Hmm, that could be interesting! It's definitely possible to make a sim a child of the Grim Reaper (as evidenced by Nervous Subject in Strangetown). InSimenator even has an option for Grimpregnation. But a pregnant Grim Reaper...

*evil laughter*

Do it, do it! And take pictures! Rolling on the Floor Laughing

miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:47 pm
Believe it or not, I really can skip the backup step!

I have a whole empty 'hood where I'm making my Sim families for download, and as soon as I make the family, I stick it on a 3x1 lot and pack it up!

So if I make a mistake, I can just delete the whole family and start over...

Thanks for the tutorial!

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Lydia
Senior SimsHost Fan
Post Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:05 pm
Thank you so much for this tutorial! Grin

I created one of my characters in my story as an adult complete with family before I knew exactly where my story was going. I managed to bungle through creating his parents and sibling but it took a lot of trial and error. (Thankfully Kaylyn was much more familiar with SimPE than I was at that point.) I managed to do what needed to be done but I see now that it is a lot easier than what I ended up going though.

For story purposes I know it isnít completely necessary to have perfect family ties but I needed it for me if that makes any sense.

Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:14 pm
AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGHH!

I faithfully backed up Bonnyview Shores before I made that mess. Then when I started my game I went looking among the gazillions of houses in Bonnyview Shores for the Hogan family.

They're not there! I was editing Lake Dorothy! shocked

But oh, it gets worse! Sophie Miguel's family tree turned out fine...

... b'b'b'but...

And if it's not bad enough that she's going steady with her father, look at how she feels about her mother!

Aaarrrggghh! So much for the sane society of Lake Dorothy!

Do these things happen to other people, or is it just me?

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:21 pm
Lydia wrote:
Thank you so much for this tutorial! Grin

I created one of my characters in my story as an adult complete with family before I knew exactly where my story was going. I managed to bungle through creating his parents and sibling but it took a lot of trial and error. (Thankfully Kaylyn was much more familiar with SimPE than I was at that point.) I managed to do what needed to be done but I see now that it is a lot easier than what I ended up going though.

For story purposes I know it isnít completely necessary to have perfect family ties but I needed it for me if that makes any sense.

It makes lots of sense to me! I like the relationships in my game to reflect the relationships in the story. In fact, I work really hard at keeping the neighborhood up with the story, and vice versa. The characters are more real that way.

Once upon a time I created my whole family tree all the way back to my grandparents. That's where the original Gregsim came from. Then I started using him as my viewpoint character, hopping from household to household and getting into all sorts of weird mischief, and ever since I've regretted messing up both the character and the family tree.

Kaylyn
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:24 pm
Oh my! blush

Now that you mention it, SimPE does weird things to my Sims, too. I use it mainly to go in and break up crushes and loves that I don't want in my game anymore (like Orlando's flings during his breakup with Beverly, or the affairs Keith had with both Pierce and Audrey that didn't make it into the story). But it seems like randomly it will change things I didn't even touch! For example, suddenly he's not wearing his wedding ring. He has memories of a wedding party, but not of actually getting married to Laura. I promise I didn't mess with his memories, so I don't know how it happened.

SimPE Family Ties Tutorial