Reply to topic :dl: Drew Barrymore by Leonardo da Vinci
:dl: Drew Barrymore by Leonardo da Vinci
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:16 pm
Drew Barrymore by Leonardo da Vinci
By special request.

Drew Barrymore by Leondardo da Vinci
(Well, sort of. This is the painting of the actress from the movie "Ever After.")
SimsHost subscribers can click on the image to download. (About 56K.)
Unzip the file and put pspainting_drew_barrymore_03.package in your Downloads folder a subfolder under Downloads.
The painting will show up as a color variation of the Rugby Jersey in your wall decorations catalog.

The painting I made of Drew Barrymore Au Naturel inspired Lydia to ask Kaylynn to ask me (Are you following this? Well, take notes!) to make a version of this painting for The Sims 2. It's the portrait that Leonardo da Vinci (played by Patrick Godfrey) painted of Danielle De Barbarac (played by Drew Barrymore) in the 1998 movie, "Ever After."

In the movie the painting was displayed in ornate gilt frame similar to the one that frames the Mona Lisa in The Louvre; however, I didn't even think to try to reproduce the frame. Among the paintings that come with the game, this one has the closest aspect ratio. (It's a perfect fit, in fact. No cropping was required at all.) So I settled for a nice, relatively plain wood frame.

Added a Variation with a Gilt Frame

Leonardo's Drew Barrymore in a Gilt Frame
SimsHost subscribers can click on the image to download. (About 56K.)
Unzip the file and put pspainting_drew_barrymore_04.package in your Downloads folder a subfolder under Downloads.
The painting will show up as a color variation of the Rugby Jersey in your wall decorations catalog.

The plain frame was bothering me enough that I took a shot at making a gilt frame for it. The texture for the frame came from the painting seen in the movie. Because of the way the mesh stretches the texture, this is probably the best I can do without making a custom mesh for the painting.

I also compared the in-game painting side-by-side to the Leonardo version from the movie stills. The one in the movie had more of a golden hue and had a bit more contrast, so I adjusted the main image again and got even closer to the original.

----------
Trivia: Did you know that Leonardo didn't name the Mona Lisa? After his death, a relative who was the curator of his estate gave it that name.

Last edited by Greg on Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:21 pm; edited 2 times in total

Lydia
Senior SimsHost Fan
Post Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:54 am
Greg, thank you so much! I have always admired this painting in the movie. I was impressed by the work you did on the Drew Barrymore picture in your other post and wondered if it would be possible to get this painting for my Sims. Kaylyn said it wouldn’t hurt to ask and was kind enough to put in my request. I finally registered for Hullabaloo today because secondhand thanks just wouldn’t do this justice.

~Lydia
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:20 am
You're welcome, Lydia!

The trickiest part of this one was finding a good source image. I wasn't happy with that one with the blue frame so I went searching. Finally I ended up doing a vid cap from the flash feature on the official movie site. I blew up that image and enhanced it.

The original was washed out and too saturated so I adjusted it to match as closely as I could with a still frame shot from the movie that showed Leonardo presenting the painting to Danielle De Barbarac.

Liss
Daughter of the Moon
Post Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:52 pm
Gorgeous Greg! I always thought that painting was beautiful in the movie. (I love the movie too).

Wytch's Brew
http://wytchsbrew.simshost.com/
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:19 pm
Connie, Again

Connie was boasting about her new painting.

After exhausting all possibilities for privately gloating over her new paintings, Connie Pearlman went next door for another session of gloating with her friend Helga. Connie just loved to lord it over Helga when she made a big score. (And Connie isn't even a Fortune sim!) Of course she boasted about getting the painting from Ever After, though she wished it had a fancier frame.

That's when Helga interrupted. "You wanted a fancy gilt frame for that painting? Well, um, Connie... turn around."

I added the new version to the first message in this topic.

:dl: Drew Barrymore by Leonardo da Vinci