Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic Trucking amusement
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Kaylyn
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:50 pm
Well, to quote a line from the chorus of the song "Ohio (Come Back to Texas)" by Bowling for Soup...

"Besides, the Mexican food sucks north of here anyway."

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:53 pm
Rolling on the Floor Laughing

Kaylyn
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:15 am
Still in IN but around Chicago area...what appeared to be a propane dealer had a billboard that said: You Just Passed Gas! Yes, the past couple of days my sense of humor rivals that of an 8 year old boy...

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:24 pm
Speaking of Illinois, I do know of one place where you could get really good Tex-Mex food about 40 years ago--Juan's Taco Hideout in Galesburg. I wonder if it's still there.

Kaylyn
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:17 pm
That reminds me...I should post my enchilada recipe sometime. Apparently it's my specialty...my dad requests it fairly often and Lydia's future in-laws liked it.

Liss
Daughter of the Moon
Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:51 pm
mmmmm enchiladas....

Wytch's Brew
http://wytchsbrew.simshost.com/
Kaylyn
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:45 am
Greg wrote:
Speaking of Illinois, I do know of one place where you could get really good Tex-Mex food about 40 years ago--Juan's Taco Hideout in Galesburg. I wonder if it's still there.
*snicker* I'm going through Galesburg today! Is it close to 74? I'll keep an eye out!

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:20 am
lunahskye wrote:
Greg wrote:
*snicker* I'm going through Galesburg today! Is it close to 74? I'll keep an eye out!

Naw, it was hidden way back in the boonies. In fact, you might not even be able to get a modern big rig in there. When I was going there, you had to go under a low one-lane railroad bridge that was an infamous truck trap. It also had the distinction of being the only one-lane road on any U.S. highway. I think it was US 34.

I surely hope that they've fixed up access to that area by now!

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:34 am
Addendum: I have happy memories of Interstate 74. I was living in Peoria when they built it. People were amazed that they were spending a million dollars per mile to route I-74 through the city.

When I got my driver's license and first are in 1966, I-74 became my lifeline. That was the year we moved from Peoria to Galesburg. I spent a lot of my life driving my old '55 Chevy sedan* back and forth between my home in Galesburg and my friends in Peoria. It seemed like such a long distance back then!

In those days, you could drive from Galesburg to Peoria and never have to adjust your speed for traffic, sometimes not even seeing another car on the road.

When I went to college at the University of Illinois, I-74 became The Road to Home; and after I graduated in January 1973, it was the route outta here!

----------
*1955 Chevrolet Bel-Air Sedan. 255 cu. in. V-8. 3-speed automatic. Mint condition; totally cherry except for a ding on the back bumper. Had a great back seat. It was a wonderful machine until I blew out the engine.

3dogowner
Super SimsHost Fan
Post Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:35 am
My husband is a trucker too. He works for Carroll Fulmer Logistics. He started in trucking after retiring from the Army in 1989. I copy a lot of programming for him with my DVR. Most especially he likes Criss Angel, So You Think You Can Dance and 24. When he comes home I usually have a stack of movies and shows for him to play on his portable DVD player. Plus I copy a lot of our CDs for him to enjoy. He also is a reader, so I buy him a lot of books. Usually if he gets bored or lonely he picks up his cell phone and calls me. Sometimes he calls me 15 times a day (no exaggeration). After 37 years of marriage, you'd think we'd run out of things to talk about....not so.
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:26 pm
Yeah, I've found that when driving across the country, the cell phone can be your best friend. It changes the whole experience because you can share what's happening with the home base.

Kaylyn
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:36 pm
I spend a lot of time chatting with Lydia and her man (who is a driver as well). He always jokes that he's got two girlfriends; all of the negatives, none of the positives. lol They both have the same service I do so I can talk to them all day if I want. My main entertainment, though, is reading these boards while I drive. Sounds REAL safe, huh? Don't worry, I'm careful. I only run over stupid drivers. So don't drive stupid when I'm in your town. wink As for other entertainment, I collect TV shows on DVD. I'm currently working on Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Nip/Tuck (3rd season should be out soon, if it's not out by now!). I'm also keeping an eye out for more Gray's Anatomy and I'm considering starting an ER collection.

Of course, all this is done while I'm not engrossed with The Sims...or Final Fantasy as of late...

Kaylyn
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:11 pm
Ugh...

Please tell me I really don't have to go in, about, or around Chicago tomorrow, that it's just a figment of my imagination. It's one of my least favorite cities to drive in. NYC of course is right up there, though I've only been there once to cross the George Washington Bridge and dart through on 95 on my way to Massachussetts once (yeah, I probably spelled that wrong!). It was at about 2 in the morning and it was STILL a nightmare; took about an hour to get through the toll booths to cross the darn bridge! I haven't been there since, but I go to Chicago fairly frequently and it almost always sucks to drive through there. Is 80 EVER going to be done with construction?

While I'm rambling about traffic, I also hated driving in Montreal and Toronto while I was still with Werner, which sent me to Canada at least twice a month. Montreal at rush hour ranks right up there with NYC, in my opinion, especially with 80 feet of vehicle to maneuver through downtown. Toronto just seemed like it was always generally slow, like Chicago usually is, but with the option of using the expressway or the feeder road, and no matter which one you choose, it's gonna be the one that creeps along. Back here in the states, I can deal with most major cities. I can even stand Atlanta, which usually has me dealing with 2 or 3 traffic jams before I get past it. I just really really hate the Chicago area. Oh well, at least it's not winter; I don't play well with snow.

At least it's a long weekend coming up and I'll probably get at least a day off, and maybe they'll even send me to Dallas or Houston so I can stop by my house for a day or so before I have to deliver. *crosses fingers*

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:58 pm
I have long day-dreamed about about building very limited limited-access highway lanes right through the big cities. Like: "Last exit for 40 miles" zoom, you're through the city with no on-ramps and no off-ramps.

The major problem with Interstate highways is that the exits are far too close together. If they want to build highways for local traffic, they should build separate roads and keep the exchanges no less than 10 miles apart.

If highway budgets had to pay for the time people waste in unnecessary traffic jams, this would change rapidly. Of course, the same is true for railroad crossings. Railroads should have to pay for people's time to wait for trains to go by. Then it would become cost-effective to bridge over every blasted on-grade crossing the nation.

Kaylyn
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:27 am
Upon entering West Virginia on I81 northbound from Virginia just now: West Virginia, Open for Business. smile

Trucking amusement