Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic Trucking amusement
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Trucking amusement
Kaylyn
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:04 am
Driving 11 hrs a day...one gets easily amused. Today a grasshopper hitched a ride on my hood in Lafayette LA. Despite stopping for traffic jams, he didn't fly away till I stopped at the rest area near Stennis Space Center in MS. Wonder if he was being a tourist. razz

Zenmistress
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:12 am
Well, that's one way to get from point A to point B. I can't believe he hung on that long.

Didja talk to him?? LMAO I prolly woulda. drunken

Kaylyn
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:34 am
Zenmistress wrote:
Didja talk to him??
Of course! Beats talking to myself, which I do...a lot. Kinda sorry to see him go. He was a good listener. Stupid company I work for doesn't allow pets or I'd find myself a kitty to keep me company. Thinking of taking some pics of my truck when I stop. That will force me to actually clean it! :O

Zenmistress
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:42 am
Have you ever seen the show "Trick My Truck"?

http://www.cmt.com/shows/dyn/Trick_My_Truck/series.jhtml

Its amazing what they do to trucks!!

Kaylyn
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:07 am
I've heard of trucks with built-in potties, showers, and kitchennettes. If I owned this one I'd love to have all that. Right now I'd just settle for a generator.

Kaylyn
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:04 pm
My little hobbit-hole...(or, why I'll never be on MTV Cribs)

If I'm laying on my bed, this is my little nightstand thing right next to my head. In this pic you can see my laptop (obviously!) and it's where I keep random stuff. Right now you can see a book of logic problems and Charmed on DVD. I usually watch an episode a night of some TV-show-on-DVD while I'm eating supper. Just finished Nip/Tuck seasons 1 and 2, and Charmed Season 5 just came out, so I'm working my way through it. After I finish this I have a season of Buffy and Grey's Anatomy ready to go, and I always have Star Trek: TNG to fall back on. Usually I'll keep a book on the nightstand too, but I just finished Angels and Demons by Dan Brown and haven't started on a new one yet.

There's a little drawer underneath the nightstand that pulls out. It is a desk extension, and the top piece flips up to reveal a small storage space (which is currently empty except for some pens and pencils). Here it is pulled out, and you see a few home plan books. I'm working on converting floor plans to Sim houses right now, per request from my friend Lydia. She's not too fond of building houses and has enlisted me to be her architect. smile I hope to get several built soon, and when I feel like I've got enough, I will probably set up a website so people can download them.

Heh...I'll spare you the "grand tour," which would involve scintillating photos of the front of the cab, my bed, TV, and incredibly messy top bunk which is currently acting as storage for things I'm taking to Lydia's in Cincinnati next weekend. Just thought I'd show you where I spend all my free time, except for every other weekend when I'm home for a couple of days.

(You know, I just reread everything I wrote here, and realized how boring it's gonna seem to you guys. Oh well. Deal. razz)

dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:17 am
lunahskye wrote:
(You know, I just reread everything I wrote here, and realized how boring it's gonna seem to you guys. Oh well. Deal. razz)

No way! I grew up during the "Truckers and CB Radios" phase of Country Music, and I'm fascinated to hear from someone who's actually in that life / business / culture (or the equivalent 25 years later, heh heh). With pictures, even! *8) Looks cozy...

(The year I graduated from college I drove across the US, East to West and back, and it was great. I saw lots of trucks!)
Kaylyn
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:11 am
Yep, very cozy. Very, very, very cozy. The grand tour would consist of me standing in one spot and turning around with the camera. razz It's actually a lot roomier when I have the curtains that separate the driving area from the bunk area open, but as I don't have a curtain to go around my windshield anymore, I don't usually do that. Today, for some odd reason, is an exception...I just unloaded and am waiting on them to send me a new load, and I'm chilling out with the sun shining in for a change. I could probably raise the top bunk and make it feel even roomier, but I use it for storage of my bags and stuff. My mom may ride with me after Christmas (I was a bad girl and had a couple of teeny tiny accidents so I'm prohibited from carrying a passenger till then) and that means I'll have to lay the mattress out up there and find some other place to put that stuff.

At first this was a really exciting job...but now that I've seen 46 states and 3 Canadian provinces over the past couple of years, it's getting a bit old. But the money is excellent, so I can handle it for a while longer, at least till my car's paid off! Unfortunately I started into this as a single gal, and it's very difficult to meet anyone that I'd actually be interested in. Most of the guys I bump into out here are really sleazy, and they assume certain things about any girl that's alone at a truck stop. Some guys just completely lose their head and their manners when a woman is present (why do they insist on blaring their air horns at me when I'm just trying to get inside to use the bathroom and get something to eat?). That's why I'm so antisocial on the road. A lot of people think I'm just always in a bad mood or whatever, but it's not that, it's just that it's very rare for me to run into someone that's got more than two brain cells to rub together. I guess I just don't have much tolerance for idiocity out here. Grin

I swear the next person that says to me, "You little bitty thang, driving that big ol' truck all by yourself?" is going to get stabbed in the eye. There's an assumption that all drivers have to weigh at least 400 lbs, and any woman driver MUST be part of a husband/wife team. Really, it's not THAT hard to drive these things. It's just a matter of being VERY careful because it takes you a lot longer to stop if something happens up ahead. The hardest part was learning how to shift through ten gears because I've never driven anything but an automatic before, and then of course the backing. But apparently I'm a very good backer because I'm constantly getting compliments when anyone has been watching me.

But all in all it's alright. I spend a lot of time coming up with story ideas, hoping that one day I can quit this and be a full-time writer.

(For the record, I don't even own a CB! razz)

Zenmistress
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:25 am
I think its rather interesting. I don't think I could ever do it, though. I'm very restless during road trips. Plus, I'm a lead-foot. LOL

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:24 am
Fascinating stuff!

Maybe it would help to think of it as doing research for all those novels you're going to write. Most of the people you run into might be truckers but along the way you are also seeing different cultures all across the country.

And besides that, you're experiencing what it would be like to live in a mobile research laboratory working its way across the surface of the moon!

Lunar Laboratories To Go (The Moon Sims Moon Rover)
This lunar rover is available as an object for The Sims 1. I designed it. Boris Rubanovich rendered it. Dincer Hepguler made the Sims object. The real rover was so big that Dincer had to reduce it to half scale.

How do you connect to the net?

Kaylyn
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:20 am
I subscribe to Siricomm, available at Love's and Pilot truck stops. Right now I am on my Cingular phone which lets me read but posts are limited to 512 characters and limited formatting. You people are my entertainment and make the days seem shorter.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:47 pm
Oh, that's clever!

Somewhere out there the net I found a tutorial on how to access the net through any CDMA cell phone. They said the only thing you burn is minutes on your phone so it sounds like you have all the equipment you need except for the cable.

dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:34 pm
lunahskye wrote:
Yep, very cozy. Very, very, very cozy...

Thanks much for the Inside Stories. *8) Too bad about all the idiots.

You should make a true-to-life truckstop in TS2, with all sortsa authentic touches! 'course that might be more interesting to the rest of us than it'd be to you... *8)

lunahskye wrote:
(For the record, I don't even own a CB! razz)

Shocking! *8) Those old country songs made it sound like every trucker was perpetually hanging around on Channel 19. Probably wasn't true even back then, though...
Kaylyn
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:48 pm
dmchess wrote:
You should make a true-to-life truckstop in TS2, with all sortsa authentic touches!

Actually...one of my story ideas that I had thought about putting into a novel but have decided to probably put into TS2 opens in a truck stop. The main character is a waitress there, and it's full of all sorts of supernatural goodness. (Now that I've said that I realize that it sounds like it would be similar to Charlaine Harris's vampire books, but this one has nothing to do with vampires or shapeshifters or fairies, and besides, it's set in a truck stop, not a bar. razz)

dmchess wrote:
Those old country songs made it sound like every trucker was perpetually hanging around on Channel 19. Probably wasn't true even back then, though...

It was true then, and it's still true today! I get all sorts of strange looks when I tell other drivers that I don't have a CB. These conversations usually end with an argument. They always say, "Well, what if you're in trouble and your cell phone doesn't work?" Almost every truck nowadays is equipped with a Qualcomm or similar thing. It allows me to communicate with my company via satellite. It's how I get assigned loads. Just because I don't have a CB doesn't mean I'm out of touch. I just don't like all the chitchat on the thing with people I don't really relate to. When I did have one for a few months, I only turned it on in traffic jams to find out what the problem was. Now I have XM Radio with instant traffic for the major cities, and I can get traffic updates on my cell phone internet if I'm that concerned about it.

I guess I get tired of other drivers insisting that everyone else has to drive in the same style they do. Yes, we get paid by the mile, but I'm not going to kill myself driving 20 hours a day. I do what I can to enjoy myself. I like to pull about 500 miles a day on average, and I like to get one day off each week. The law says that we can only drive 11 hrs a day, and can only drive up until 14 hours after we start our day (so if we take more than three hours total goofing off or whatever, we'll actually drive less than 11 hrs that day). Also, we can only work (including fueling, loading, etc, as well as driving) up to 70 hours for any 8 day period. (Eep! That means I work 60-70 hr weeks!) But if we take at least 34 consecutive hours off (like I will be doing tomorrow evening through Monday morning) the 70 hr thing starts over from scratch. I like to make sure to get that 34 hours in once a week to relax (and Sim!).

A bonus to this job: I can take my home time anywhere I want. I live in Minden, LA, but next weekend I'm taking my time off in Cincinnati to visit my friend Lydia. We're going to get a project going together in which we co-write a Sims story. We're going to get the first bit done together, then we're going to take turns writing a few chapters or whatever you want to call them, and we're not going to reveal any details to each other as we write. I think it's going to be fun. smile

Kaylyn
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:03 pm
Oh, I found this pic on my digital camera. The first company I worked for was Werner (the big blue trucks). My nephew Matthew rode with me for a month after he graduated high school and before he went to BASIC training in Ft. Benning, GA. He's over in Iraq right now at Abu Ghraib last I heard, due to come home around August. He loved taking random pictures, especially when we went into Canada. He was so thrilled about being in another country...now look at him, halfway around the world! smile

Anyways, here's a pic he took when we were entering St. Louis. It looks professional!

And, for the record, here's a pic of him in Baghdad, off his Myspace site:

Want me to REALLY confuse you? He's also my half-brother.

(pause for effect)

Heh...his mom is actually my biological mom! When I was really little, she went through her divorce from my biological dad (who I've only met once; he came to my high school graduation). She handed me over for adoption to her mom and stepdad, and I've grown up knowing them as my parents (and her as my sister) my whole life. She then got married again and had Matt.

So...I might be a redneck because my sister is also my mother! wink (And if you really think about it, that makes me my own aunt...)

No wonder I'm so weird!

Grin

Trucking amusement