Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic :dl: Three paintings by Botticelli
:dl: Three paintings by Botticelli
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:06 am
Sandro Botticelli
Alessandro di Mariano Filipepi (March 1, 1445 – May 17, 1510)
Italian Painter during the Early Renaissance

This first one is probably Botticelli's most famous work. The face of Venus from his painting of "Venus on the Half Shell" graces the face of the first European Euro coin.

The Birth of Venus by Sandro Botticelli, 1484-1486, ~70 KB
This painting has been cropped a little bit to fit the aspect ratio of the original object.
SimsHost subscribers can click on the paintings to download.
Unzip the zip and save the .package file in your Downloads folder or a subdirectory under your Downloads folder.
The paintings will show up as an option for the "Tomato Head" painting in your game's catalog of artwork for the walls.

Next, Botticelli's Primavera hangs at the summer palazzo of Pierfrancesco de' Medici as a companion to The Birth of Venus and Pallas and the Centaur.

Primavera by Sando Botticelli, 1478, ~68K
The uneven lighting is because these are screen shots from the game.

To round out the trio (since I haven't done Pallas and the Centaur yet), here's a pecular work from a set of four paintings: The Story of Nastagio Degli Onesti.

This painting illustrates a scene from a really strange story in Bocaccio´s Decamerone. It will certainly give your sims something to talk about; or at least it would if sims talked about paintings!

The Story of Nastagio Degli Onesti by Sandro Botticelli, c. 1483 ~68K

In the story, young Nastagio Degli Onesti failed to get the interest of his one true love. Depressed by this, he went for a walk in the woods, where had a bizarre vision.

In Nastagio's vision, a woman was chased through the woods by a nobleman who tore her heart out and fed it to his dogs. Nastagio interpreted his vision to be a warning of the eternal punishment a lady would experience if she spurned the love of a suitor who then committed suicide.

Nastagio Degli Onesti invited several friends, including the girl of his dreams, to go on an outing in the country. He led them to same place where he had had his vision. When the picnicking party also saw the terrifying vision, the object of Nastagio's affection agreed to marry him.

The story of these paintings is even more intriguing because Botticelli created them as a commissioned work to illustrate a wedding ark, for a wedding that united two of the great houses of Florence.

Kaylyn
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:08 am
Yay! Botticelli! Thanks...these are awesome! Grin

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:33 am
Thanks! smile

I have as much fun researching the story behind these paintings as I do making them and hanging them on my sims' walls.

I didn't write much about La Primavera because I'm not sure what to say about it. There are lots of essays that disagree on what Botticelli was up to. I rather like this note from the essay by Emil Kren and Daniel Marx in the Web Gallery of Art:

Emil Kren and Daniel Marx wrote:
In this allegory of life, beauty, and knowledge united by love, Botticelli catches the freshness of an early spring morning, with the pale light shining through the tall, straight trees, already laden with their golden fruit: oranges, or the mythical Golden Apples of the Hesperides?

B'b'but... what is going on with that dark figure on the right side of the painting, clearly harrassing a distressed damsel?

Here's a link to the Web Gallery of Art page about La Primavera for those who want to read more about this and other works by Botticelli. The whole site is very nicely done. I like the commentary from Kren and Marx much better than the essays in the Wikipedia, which tend to be very snide about Botticelli's work.

Kaylyn
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:00 am
Now you got me in a culture-y mood...I'm spending the weekend in Cincinnati in a couple of weeks, visiting a friend, so I think I'm going to talk her into taking me to a museum or play or something. smile

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:07 am
I love museums! I don't think it matters what the subject might be; I've never been to a museum where I didn't enjoy it.

I think in real life I might be what a "Knowledge" sim is supposed to be. To wit: infojunkie.

Kaylyn
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:15 am
Oh yeah, in Sim life I'd definitely be knowledge (in fact, that's what my sim is!). Second choice would probably be Pleasure. I've always been a bookworm, both fiction and nonfiction, and I love learning stuff and am obsessed with Sudoku and logic puzzles. Grin

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:53 pm
Amazingly, I first learned about Soduku last week when a couple of folks at the office were talking about it. One of them gave me a sample puzzle to work out, but I just couldn't get into it. I have a feeling that it's one of those things where if I learn a little about it, it would be easy to become obsessed with it.

Liss
Daughter of the Moon
Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:51 pm
Birth of Venus is my favorite painting EVER.

Wytch's Brew
http://wytchsbrew.simshost.com/
Kaylyn
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:59 pm
Greg wrote:
Amazingly, I first learned about Soduku last week when a couple of folks at the office were talking about it. One of them gave me a sample puzzle to work out, but I just couldn't get into it. I have a feeling that it's one of those things where if I learn a little about it, it would be easy to become obsessed with it.

That's the way I was when I first tried it...didn't get it at first but once I understood the rules, hooboy...much more fun than crosswords smile

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:44 pm
When Starr gave me that Soduku puzzle, I fiddled with it for a few minutes but then became interested in figuring out how to create the puzzles and lost interest in trying to solve them!
lol

miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:25 pm
Hm, maybe I should put my Suduko solver on my site as a premium download...

You can use it as a creator too. Just keep track on paper of which squares you filled in on the computer until the program solved it... then add a few more for hard puzzles up to a lot for easy ones... then torment your friends with them!

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Kaylyn
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:15 pm
Ooh...if Greg starts creating Sudoku puzzles, I want them! I bet he could come up with some doozies! razz

Nancy
The Spoiled Brat

The Spoiled Brat
Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:15 pm
Greg, these are beautiful! bounce

nanci2121
:dl: Three paintings by Botticelli