Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic Babies
Babies
LooseChanj
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:24 am
Is it me, or is actually raising a baby till they grow to a child just plain *impossible*? It's merely eye poppingly difficult if you have one unemployed sim for pete's sake! I'm guessing you just need to be constantly doing something with the faceless little monsters while they're awake. Like it's possibly to tell. I gotta say, after making and maintaining friends, this is the worst part of the original game.
Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:53 am
It's really difficult. I think it is impossible without cheating if you only have one parent. You really have to pay attention though, run your game on normal speed, sound on and concentrate for the whole 3 sim days.

I always use the hacked babies now, (specially the Simlogical one now but the CheapFrills one with nanny in the past) but I have done it the hard way many times. I had a baby alarm (I think it came from Killersims?) that helped - and the parents had to take a day off each from work (they can usually take one day off without getting fired, depends on the career track) - so Bob takes a day off the first day, Betty the second and Bob again the third - and hopefully the little brat will "hatch" before they die of exhaustion. Also hacked objects that refresh the parent are very useful. With these I have raised triplets lol.

Every time the baby cries, do Feed Play Sing, repeat until the baby sleeps, then send the parents to another room to sleep/eat etc, get them as much sleep as possible (in bed as it is more refreshing) in between.

And if there are any older kids in the household they can take a day off school and look after the baby too.
miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:45 am
I've never been brave enough to try it with one parent!

If you have Makin' Magic, get a BoneHilda. She'll feed the baby at least, so you don't get a Social Worker. I've heard the SuperStar butler will do it too.

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
LooseChanj
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:21 am
miros1 wrote:
If you have Makin' Magic, get a BoneHilda. She'll feed the baby at least, so you don't get a Social Worker. I've heard the SuperStar butler will do it too.

Heh, I have the "8-in-1", so it's got all the expansions. It was the first sims I ever played, so I'd be talking to people about things and they'd be all "wtf?" on me. Get a bonehilda huh? How do I do that?
miros1
Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:29 am
Buy the coffin thingie and knock on it. BoneHilda will clean the house and periodically feed the baby, whether or not it's hungry, so your Sims can safely nap!

Somewhere, I've got a pic of Bob Newbie sleeping on the couch while BoneHilda feeds Jane.

The recliner gets back Energy and Comfort faster than a lot of the cheap beds, so I sometimes have my new households just sleep in recliners for a while. It's cheaper than a comfy chair and a bed!

Zenmistress
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:12 am
My experience with babies in Sims1 is what turned me off of having kids in the game. I'm glad I gave in and tried it again in S2, cause I don't mind them so much now. LOL

My poor sims could never, EVER get any sleep.

dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:42 pm
I only ever had one baby back when I was playing Sims 1, and although she did eventually grow into a cute little girl

Bathsheba Hilox-Petunia
Inevitable weblog entry

one of her Moms did lose her job in the process (I was trying to have them both stay employed by carefully managing their absences from work, but failed).

(How cute and low-res everything was back then!)
granny51
New SimsHost Friend
Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:54 pm
cat I used the "rosebud cheat" to get the family enough money that neither had to work or you can then hire a butler by going to services and clik on "butler". He will help take care of the baby..feeding etc.
miros1
Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:30 pm
Bonehilda is cheaper, but you can't trust her with the baby all day. When she runs out of things to clean, she goes back in her coffin...

Zirconia Wolf
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:28 pm
I must confess that I've really never had much trouble raising Sims 1 babies (never tried it yet with a single working parent however) after my first "Bob & Betty" kid got snatched by the Social Worker. (Looooong time ago. I have since re-installed & upgraded to Complete Collection.)

My formula (no pun intended) is rather simple:

After everyone greets the new baby, I have someone Sing to it. 9 times out of 10 the kid sleeps like a log for it's 6 hour stint & then it's time to :

Feed. Sing. Sing.

That's it. Play just makes the kid angry (you can tell by the sceaming-instead-of-cooing) although for "realism" I will sometimes do :

Feed. Play. Sing. Sing. Sing.

I find the extra Sing is needed if I choose the Play option. Plus, I could swear the kid doesn't sleep for as long...

Socal Workers only complain/visit if the baby is approaching/in a "hunger failer state", so feeding & putting the baby right back to sleep keeps everything running smoothly.

The irony of the whole thing is that, in my real life I really don't care much for babies & am even a member of several "Childless By Choice" groups. That's the cool thing about the Sims ; it doesn't have to mirror real life at all!

-ZW