Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic Got room for one more?
Got room for one more?
Kaylyn
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sat May 06, 2006 11:44 pm
I've been lurking about for a couple of weeks and finally decided to create an account and say hi! I've been playing The Sims since about a month or so after it first came out, and have bought every expansion pack since. Then I got a new laptop right around the time Sims 2 came out and have been playing it since, and have gotten my mom, sister, and nephew hooked. I've recently done a fresh install and was going to start a Legacy challenge, but felt too restricted by it. So basically I'm playing my current neighborhood in a modified legacy style, where I'm not keeping score, but playing for the story that develops of its own accord. I do roll the dice for aspirations and other choices, because it adds variation and often adds a twist to the plot. And this time I'm taking pictures obsessively and actually have an interesting storyline now. I don't have a predetermined plot, but it seems to be playing out much better than it would have if I had planned it. Those crazy Sims!

Let's see, what personal details can I bore you with? I just turned 27 this past March. I drive an 18-wheeler for a living (I'm actually a pretty small gal for a truck driver). I'm on the road 2 weeks at a time for the most part, though every once in a while I get to go by the house a little more frequently. Home is in the Shreveport/Bossier area in Louisiana. Since I'm single, I stay with my parents when I'm in town, and occasionally I'll visit my sister and her husband for a day or two. I'm pagan, and have been so for the past five years or so, and am fascinated with all manner of New Age-y type things (is that even a word?), as well as alternative religions. In addition to the Sims, I like to play RPGs on the computer, online and otherwise, and I am completely addicted to Dance Dance Revolution for the PS2 (still not brave enough to embarrass myself in the arcades yet).

When I'm not driving or gaming, I'm writing. I've finally settled on a main story to work on that looks like it actually has the potential to become a full-fledged novel. That is, of course, if anyone will publish it. Seeing as how I'm only on the first few chapters of the very first draft, I have quite a ways to go on that project. And I guess that's the main reason I'm here. Once I can determine exactly what boundaries I can't cross in my storytelling for the purposes of this forum, I was considering posting the Sims 2 story I've been working on as I play, just to see what people think. I don't know if they'll even compare to others I have read on here, but I'd welcome any and all feedback. My online time sometimes gets quite limited because of my job, but I do have a subscription to wireless internet for my favorite truckstop chain, so I can get online when I stop at one of those. I can still read the forum on my cell phone, but can't post from it. From what I've read on here, this seems to be one of the friendliest communities I've run across, and I look forward to being a part of it.

Wow, didn't mean to ramble so much! I'll go away now before I get fussed at. Grin
equinoxx
Super SimsHost Fan
Post Posted: Sun May 07, 2006 12:43 am
Let me be the first to bid you welcome.

So... ah... WELCOME!

Post Posted: Sun May 07, 2006 1:36 am
Hi, lunahskye! Welcome to the Hullabaloo!

I have a neighborhood where I'm building up a legacy, too. And, like you, I wasn't really fond of the rules that are on the "Legacy Challenge" web site. (In fact, I didn't even know about them until someone pointed out the site to me, after I'd posted a story about my legacy neighborhood.)

The trickiest part of maintaining my legacy neighborhood is being careful of that bug that suddenly dumps a huge amount of money into a household when someone moves in from college. I haven't quite figured out what triggers the bug so I haven't taken that risk yet.

miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Sun May 07, 2006 2:23 am
You could always create an Uncle Moneybags character who would move in with a family, accept donations of expensive art works, and move back out...

That could fix your problem without too much tinkering.

I thought we decided the problem was caused by moving the Sims back from University as a family rather than as separate Sims via the "Move Back to Happy Valley" command?

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Nancy
The Spoiled Brat

The Spoiled Brat
Post Posted: Sun May 07, 2006 7:58 am
wave Hi lunahskye!!
Welcome to the Hullabaloo!!! bounce

nanci2121
Kaylyn
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sun May 07, 2006 9:34 am
Greg wrote:
The trickiest part of maintaining my legacy neighborhood is being careful of that bug that suddenly dumps a huge amount of money into a household when someone moves in from college. I haven't quite figured out what triggers the bug so I haven't taken that risk yet.

I started this particular family with 1 family sim, who married another family sim. Since they both want loads of children I'm thinking about satisfying that 10 children want for the first time ever for me. I'm not turning aging off and I eventually plan to allow them to die off, but I'm gonna start using elixier because I want them both to achieve their lifetime want before they become elders because I find it extremely difficult to keep elders in platinum. I guess cranky old people don't stay satisfied as long!

Their first pregnancy resulted in twins, completely by accident. The second pregnancy resulted in twins again with the assistance of the cheesecake that is included in Open for Business. Then they moved in a friend to help out, and the third pregnancy was a single birth, and that makes a full house. The mom's lifetime want is to marry off six children so I'm trying to get that out of the way as soon as possible. The first set of twins is in college now, so I guess I'm about to find out about that bug first hand. Not one to turn down free money, I think I may just find a way to write it into the story. wink Of course, if it happens every single time, then I may have to find a workaround.

As for the story, perfectionist that I am when it comes to my writing, you probably won't get the first installment until next week because I'm only unofficially home this time around, and only had about 24 hours off. I have to go pick up a load at noon and then I'm off to Ohio and then who knows where? But next weekend is my official weekend off so I'll have more time. I'll try to brush up the first few chapters and see if I can't get something posted by then. Then you all can tell me how awful I am and that I should just forget it. razz

Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm glad I decided to speak up. smile
Re: Got room for one more?
dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sun May 07, 2006 9:46 am
A single pagan trucker who writes novels and plays The Sims in her spare time? I don't know, that doesn't sound like a very interesting background to write any stories out of. lol

lunahskye wrote:
But next weekend is my official weekend off so I'll have more time. I'll try to brush up the first few chapters and see if I can't get something posted by then.

Eagerly looking forward to it.

lunahskye wrote:
Once I can determine exactly what boundaries I can't cross in my storytelling for the purposes of this forum

Not to speak for the Officials or anything, but we've had some pretty boundary-crossing stuff here. My impression is that as long as the language is clean, the images are PG (bottoms but no nipples or naughty bits), and the phrasing is such that anyone too young for it wouldn't understand it *8) you're okay...

Welcome welcome!
DC
Kaylyn
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sun May 07, 2006 10:40 am
Oh, here, if anyone cares razz This is a pic of me and the current love of my life, Bert McCracken, lead singer of the band The Used (I would be the one on the left, of course...). Now if someone will kindly let him know that we are destined to be together forever and ever, I'd much appreciate it. This was a VERY good day. I drove all the way down to Austin for their show at Stubb's BBQ last August. In fact, this concert was the main reason I bought my new car. shocked I had a backstage pass, but this pic was taken when I cornered him outside the entrance to the restaurant. I saw him again backstage and got to hold a short conversation with him, blathering on about how much of an inspiration he was to me, while he was probably concentrating more on the bxxxxxs of the sxx-- er, girls standing next to me. But still, it made my day. smile

Edited for content
Zenmistress
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:51 am
Hiya! Welcome to the forum!

We'd love to read your sims stories! I have a hard enough time playing single person households, so 'animating' a story with sims would be impossible for me. LOL

Keep in mind this is an open forum, and there may be some younger readers about. If you have doubts about posting something, its prolly better left unposted. You could always contact Nancy or one of the webmasters that lurk about here, too.

Have fun and be safe out there on the roads!!

Sandy

Kaylyn
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Tue May 09, 2006 9:12 am
Testing to see if I can post from my cell phone...also last night I polished up the first few chapters of my story. Looks like I may be able to get online tonight. If so I will post them tonight. *crosses fingers*
Nancy
The Spoiled Brat

The Spoiled Brat
Post Posted: Tue May 09, 2006 9:56 am
Can't wait to see what you have for us. Make sure you keep it PG-13! Grin

nanci2121
Kaylyn
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Tue May 09, 2006 2:19 pm
Thanks! And apologies to all admins for prior naughtiness. Gave myself ten minute timeout and promise to be on my best behavior from now on. *blush*
Nancy
The Spoiled Brat

The Spoiled Brat
Post Posted: Tue May 09, 2006 3:04 pm
No need for timeouts! Rolling on the Floor Laughing
Thanks for understanding. Grin

nanci2121
Got room for one more?