This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. One of Those Days
Goto page 1, 2  Next
One of Those Days
dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:41 pm
One of Those Days
Part 1: Professor Nolan Mazza

(For some reason it occurred to me once that it'd be fun for a playable Sim to have a resident non-playable to interact with. The "Propose / Stay the Night" interaction can sometimes get a guest to stay longer than usual, but it doesn't always work, or stay in effect very long. So I said to myself, well, what if a guest just sort of couldn't leave? Could we have like a secret back room with food and a bed and a toilet and cleverly-managed doors, and keep a guest on the lot and alive and even more or less happy, forever? This is my first experiment with the idea.)

Professor Nolan Mazza is an Assistant Professor of Philosophy at Sim State University.

"Hoobie, Noobie!"
The professor meets Suzette Somnius.

Suzette Somnius was one of his favorite students. She never actually showed up at any of this classes or did any of his assignments, but they became very good friends, and she persuaded him to give her grades that she might not have, strictly speaking, deserved.

"And your haircut is definitely hot."

When Suzette's laude was announced at the graduation ceremony, Professor Mazza noticed that he wasn't the only faculty member in the audience who was averting his eyes and whistling nonchalantly. There was a rumor that Suzette had (following an old SSU tradition) become more than very good friends with some of her other professors, but Professor Mazza's relationship with her had never gone beyond friendship.

At least not until she moved back to the neighborhood.

The tumult and the shouting has died.
She's working on a "woohoo with 20 different Sims" lifetime want here; I think he's like number seven (she got off to a slow start because she was busy with the Challenge in college).
dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:43 pm
One of Those Days
Part 2: Trapped!

One day Suzette invited the Professor over, and after a bit of amatory recreation he found that she had put out a banquet table.

"So what's the occasion?"
At the time I thought that banquet food lasted longer than normal food before going bad; I don't know if that's actually true though.

After eating he tried to go down the stairs to the hot-tub or somewhere, but they were blocked by an immovable barrier!

"Could someone move this chair for me?"

"Suzette, I'm trapped in the house!"

To his horror, Suzette's car pool pulled up and she went off, leaving the chair in place!

"Help yourself to the food, honey; see you in a few hours!"
I think she was a UFO Investigator or something at this point; the idea was to keep him around so she could play with him when she got home.
dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:45 pm
One of Those Days
Part 3: Alone

Left alone, Nolan changed back into his Professor clothes and tried to leave. Still blocked by the insurmountable chair, he spent the entire morning pacing up and down on the porch.

Pace, pace, pace.
I was expecting him to go inside eventually and use the bathroom, or eat, or read a book or something. But he was very determined to leave.

Eventually (and just in time for me to move the chair for a second to let the maid get in) he went inside and washed his hands.

Thinking about Suzette's return?
He also used the toilet, I think.

By the time the maid was done for the day, he had resigned himself to captivity somewhat, and was able to eat.

More turkey dinner.
It hadn't spoiled yet, fortunately. Note the chair briefly moved aside for the maid.

After eating he returned to the porch, and finding the chair still there he burst into tears.

Poor fellow.
I'm not actually sure what he was crying about; he didn't show any of the usual Unhappy Sim thought-bubbles, about discomfort or hunger or anything.
dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:49 pm
One of Those Days
Part 4: Free!

Eventually, Suzette returned home.

"Did you miss me?"
At this point the main problem with my scheme appeared: once a guest has decided to leave (which the Prof presumably did 'way back when he changed clothes and started pacing on the porch) all of the possible interactions on their pie-menu go away except for (naturally) "Ask to leave". So poor Suzette couldn't flirt with the professor or anything. What good's a captive guest if you can't play with him?

But the Professor was so upset (about who knows what) that he couldn't talk to her; he only stood by the window and cried.

"Boo and hoo"

"Well hey, if you feel that way, maybe you should go home! Oh, is that chair in your way? Here, the invisible divine hand will move it for you."

Free at last

No longer a captive, Professor Mazza raced down the stairs and...

climbed nudely into Suzette's hot tub.
This surprised me! I figured he'd just leave immediately, my experiment a failure. Note Suzette thinking about a promotion through the bedroom window. In fact she needs to be at work again in a few hours.
dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:51 pm
One of Those Days
Part 5: Soaking

Suzette of course joined him.

"Glad you decided to stay!"
Note silly grin on Professor's face. Can't blame him, of course.

They talked and soaked far into the twilight.

"Criminal masterminds; they're everywhere!"

And they got very comfortable.

A little evening sparking.
Although the Prof didn't have the usual interaction menu, the hot-tub version of the menu was there, including Cuddle and Kiss and all. So Suzette got to enjoy her captive a bit after all.

All too soon, Suzette had to leave for the first night of her new job.

Her first exorcism.
The Mayor's toaster's been cursing him out again. I could have erected new barriers around the tub to try to keep the Prof for another cycle, but I was sort of losing interest.
dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:52 pm
One of Those Days
Part 6: End of the experiment

He stayed in the tub alone for a couple of hours.

But eventually he sprang nudely out.

And headed home.
Thinking about that last sweet kiss.

Into the twilight.
"That Suzette! Whoosh."

(So the vanishing of the visitor's interaction menu when he decides to leave sort of kills the "perpetually captive visitor" notion, although I might play with it again someday. Of course there are all sorts of hacks to make visitors controllable and all, but I'm generally too conservative to use them. Anyway, it was a fun experiment, and we got some funny pictures out of it! Note that this all happened some time ago; lots has happened to Suzette since then, as we'll no doubt see in many more pictures elsewhere before long.)
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:10 pm
That's amazing!

Within my experience, a visitor who has decided to leave will never later decide to stick around. But then, I don't think I've ever kept one around for that long.

The trick might be to get him involved in one of those activities that they don't break out of to autonomously leave. Sitting in the hot tub and playing the piano come to mind as two examples. As long as his motives don't get really bad, he'll keep on doing what he's doing even if everyone has left or is asleep.

Of course, Suzette could just invite him back when she gets home.

Though, come to think of it, an "invite to stick around" option would be more humanlike behavior, if it were available. Then again, it also would be humanlike behavior if he could just move the silly chair when he decided to leave! lol

Speaking of unhumanlike behavior, this reminds me of the time Lucy got stuck in the men's room at the dorm. She was in there when she finished cleaning and asked if they wanted her to stick around. I said "yes" so she converted from a maid to a visitor, and couldn't get out through the men's room door.

She fussed a bit and then just settled down on the floor and wrote in her diary. Guys went in to use the john and take showers and didn't pay any attention to her. We can only speculate what she was writing about, but I will note that from her vantage point she could see into the shower room.

I solved the problem permanently by putting in one of Inge's one-way doors, pointing outward.

dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:56 pm
Greg wrote:
That's amazing!

*8)

Greg wrote:
Within my experience, a visitor who has decided to leave will never later decide to stick around. But then, I don't think I've ever kept one around for that long.

Yeah, I was pretty surprised. I don't remember now if I did anything that might have caused it. (Maybe I told Suzette to get into the tub, and then did an "ask to join" on the Prof? But I don't think he had an "ask to join" in his pie menu.) However it happened, it did save the story from being an almost entirely uninteresting "and then the Professor left". *8)

Greg wrote:
Of course, Suzette could just invite him back when she gets home.

Much too easy.

Greg wrote:
Though, come to think of it, an "invite to stick around" option would be more humanlike behavior, if it were available.

I'm always forgetting to use Propose / Spend the Night in places where it might be handy (like in this experiment, and when Gabriel was due and Dawson was over visiting Gina). Although I'm not sure exactly when that verb even appears; it often seems to be missing.

Greg wrote:
Then again, it also would be humanlike behavior if he could just move the silly chair when he decided to leave! lol

Or jump over the porch railing, or sneak out a window. SimPhysics is funny... *8)
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:16 pm
Or just kick the chair down the steps! lol

Back in the wild, rowdy days of Gregsim when Sheba was just a toddler, Her Aunt Winona kept him in the house as a visitor for a whole simweek by simply inviting him to bed each night. He didn't leave because Her mom never had a job so there was always someone home.

He spent a lot of time in the hot tub during the day to get his cleanliness motive back up. Momma Lois was always cooking meals so he was in a great mood the whole time. The She grew up to be a teenager and the whole universe changed. After that he even had his own room in that house!

The next time he moved out (never having actually moved in), it was to move to Manse Orleans. He originally moved there with Winona and their daughters, Sandra and Wanda (his first children). Sheba moved in along with Winona and the twins, and spent the last few days of Her teenhood there before She grew up and married him.

Brenda (Narcissa's daughter) moved in to complete the teen triad along with Sandra and Wanda.

That mob made their debut as a complete household in Chapter 4 of the Tales of Happy Valley.

Good story DC
SimCityGallery
Post Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:46 am
I enjoyed your experiment as it was something I hadn't tried before. Now I know how that works out. Thanks for sharing it!

-SCG
dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:27 am
Greg wrote:
Back in the wild, rowdy days of Gregsim when Sheba was just a toddler, Her Aunt Winona kept him in the house as a visitor for a whole simweek by simply inviting him to bed each night. He didn't leave because Her mom never had a job so there was always someone home.

That's amazing! Did you use "Propose / Spend the Night" daily? My impression is that even when I do that a sleeping visitor will often wake up sometime before dawn, put on their clothes, and head home. Although I've never done a really thorough experiment around that.

(Do visitors age at 6pm the same way controllables do?)

DC
Re: Good story DC
dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:30 am
SimCityGallery wrote:
I enjoyed your experiment as it was something I hadn't tried before. Now I know how that works out. Thanks for sharing it!

You're welcome, and thanks! It was a pretty rough experiment; having written it down I may now be inspired to try it again slightly differently. Maybe Sally (who doesn't have the inconvenience of a job) can try to keep one of her favorites around through constant attention rather than a chair. *8) The vanishing of the interaction menu sort of quashes the "trapped pet visitor" idea, but maybe playing with "long term houseguest" would be fun also...
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:27 am
dmchess wrote:
That's amazing! Did you use "Propose / Spend the Night" daily? My impression is that even when I do that a sleeping visitor will often wake up sometime before dawn, put on their clothes, and head home. Although I've never done a really thorough experiment around that.

(Do visitors age at 6pm the same way controllables do?)

DC

Winona didn't have to propose that he spend the night. She (and later She) just had to invite him to bed for a romp. Use "Spend the Night" when you don't want to woohoo.

If the visitor sleeps past 2:00 AM, he'll sleep the whole night. In the case of Gregsim, after the first night he was getting up at 6:00 AM with the rest of the family so he was ready for a full night's sleep by the time it was bedtime.

No, visitors don't age at 6 PM. That is, not unless you have them selected with Merola's Mind Control Mirror or one of the other hacks that allows you to select a visitor.

I didn't have the magic mirror back then so it was more of a challenge. At first I just wanted to see how long I could keep him around. Sheba turned out to be the bonus prize from that adventure.

Sheba
Admin

Admin
Post Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:29 am
Greg wrote:
Sheba turned out to be the bonus prize from that adventure.

And quite I prize I was! Wicked Evil Grin

Post Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:35 am
Greg wrote:
If the visitor sleeps past 2:00 AM, he'll sleep the whole night. In the case of Gregsim, after the first night he was getting up at 6:00 AM with the rest of the family so he was ready for a full night's sleep by the time it was bedtime.

Inneresting; I wonder what determines if they sleep past 2am. Maybe it's important to tire them out thoroughly before heading for bed. *8) I'll definitely have to play with this idea some more.

(My impression from somewhere is that "Stay the Night" also includes giving the visitor access to showers as well as beds, but I don't have any direct evidence for it. Shortly after Kaylynn moved into her own place, she did a "Stay the Night" with Eleanor Raptor, but all Eleanor did was sit around looking out the windows and eating rotting food. She was sick for days afterward...)
One of Those Days