Reply to topic :dl: Karen Lund
:dl: Karen Lund
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:51 pm
Karen Lund
Sheba's Baby Sister

Sheba's Baby Sister, Karen Lund
Click on the image to download Karen. ~489 KB.
Unzip the file Karen_Lund.zip and save N005_00398_Karen_Lund.package in your SavedSims folder.
It's OK to rename the .package file if you want.
Warning: I don't know if Karen will appear in your game in her anatomically detailed skin tone. She also might show up wearing minimal or no undies, jammies, or swimwear. Karen tends to be shy, but not body-conscious. Karen stress-tests more zippers than just the one on her sweater!
She should show show up wearing her custom everyday clothes, but if she doesn't and you want that outfit, you can download it here.
She is also wearing custom makeup that might or might not come with the download.
Her eyebrows will turn blonde when you load her into the CAS screen. You can fix them by having her Change Appearance in a mirror.

Here's Karen's outfit again, and this time it comes stuffed with Karen!

After her cameo performances as a baby in Sheba's story, Karen made her first appearance as a teenager in Chapter 272: Dream a Little Dream of Karen in the Tales of Happy Valley.

Karen is a teenager, and (obvously, perhaps even emphatically) female. She's a second-generation sim, born in the game to Melvin and Lois Lund.

Note: Karen should show up in your Create-a-Family screen in the game, as a custom character. She'll also show up in Body Shop.

I've read that custom characters will cause Body Shop to crash and that you should remove them from your SavedSims folder before starting Body Shop, but I've not experienced this myself. It could be that it's the custom clothes they wear, not the characters themselves.

----------
If you want Karen's big sister Sheba, you can download her from a message in the Tales of Happy Valley, Sheba Steps Out.

Karen's ne'er-do-well brother-in-law and Sheba's husband can be download from a message entitled Greg Goes Adventuring.

Last edited by Greg on Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:48 pm; edited 2 times in total

Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:58 pm
Thank you!
Marmy
Crabby Old Woman
Post Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:03 pm
How did you get that effect on the pic you posted?

--------------------

When the dreamer's in the zone, leave em alone!

www.simplysimilicious.com
miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:38 pm
I think I can answer that... (based on Greg's previous answer in another thread)

You open up the picture of Karen dancing. Duplicate layer. Erase or mask off everything but Karen from the top layer. Blur the bottom layer.

You've now got a nice sharp "Karen" in the top layer and everything else blurred in the bottom layer.

Save.

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Marmy
Crabby Old Woman
Post Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:42 pm
Thanks, Rose! I'll have to do that.....that looks way cool. I can use that in some of my previews.

--------------------

When the dreamer's in the zone, leave em alone!

www.simplysimilicious.com
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:26 am
This one was just a little more complicated. There are several Photoshop layers involved:
  1. Just Karen (top layer)
  2. Whole scene, blurred (middle layer, with gradient mask)
  3. Whole scene, sharp (bottom layer)

The blurred layer has a gradient in its layer mask, blending from black at the bottom to white at the top. Black masks out the blur at the bottom, which is nearest Karen, so that the the floor shows through sharply. Things are farther away from her as you move from bottom to top, and because of the gradient in the blurred layer's mask they appear more out of focus from bottom to top.

The original discussion of this technique was on page 5 of The Whole Sort of General Mish-Mash in a message entitled Blurring the Background to Simulate Depth of Field and also in the topic about Karen's Teen Outfit.

(There are two download topics about Karen. One just has her outfit, and there's this one where the outfit comes stuffed with Karen.)

:dl: Karen Lund