Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. The Tale of the Tale
The Tale of the Tale
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:48 am
The Tale of the Tale
Behind the Scenes at the Happy Valley Movie Studio

David once suggested a separate topic for discussing the Tales of Happy Valley. In retrospect, that sounds like a good idea because it would alleviate some confusion, especially when I want to include illustrations about the story.

There's an amusing story about those pictures where Arthur Thayer collided with Karen Lund in the hallway at the high school in Chapter 272.

Arthur is really carrying the main plot line here so I wanted to get him developed and caught up with the rest of the star line. Trouble is, other distracting events keep taking the story off on tangents.

Consider the fish. It would be easier if his baby sister weren't so insufferably cute.

The fish are as distracting to me as they are to Bernadette.

When (in the game) Karen followed Arthur home from school, it seemed unreasonable that he wouldn't have even met his father's wife's sister.

I thought I'd fix that and stopped by to check up on Karen. She had turned out to be one of those stunning beauties who never goes out because all the guys are afraid to ask her for a date, which added some interest to Arthur's tale.

A little one-chapter episode where Arthur encountered Karen seemed to fit. When I started working on it, though, I realized that I was writing a lot of narrative and needed some illustrations for the story.

Which, in turn, meant that I needed a new stage set for the encounter at the high school. So I had to back-fill by building a whole new high school for Happy Valley.

Karen Lund and Arthur Thayer at the brand-new Happy Valley High

I made it a community lot, so then I had to get the kids to school. I went to Karen's place intending to have her invite Arthur downtown. It was Friday morning and she had to get to school in the game, so I decided to wait until Saturday. That way she wouldn't end up totally exhausted.

Which meant that I had to play through a whole day in the Lund household. I tried to keep things fairly simple, but the Lunds have a baby and dad has a career and they have lots of friends dropping by and Mama Lois is pregnant and even Karen had to get her homework done and wanted to improve her cooking skills.

Finally, Saturday morning after Karen had learned to cook pancakes, she called Arthur and invited him to meet her at the high school.

Once they got there, I teleported all the teens in town to work as extras in the background. Of course adults and kids showed up, too, but I shuffled them off to the gym in the basement to keep them out of frame.

Even the science teacher showed up for the shoot.

After all that effort, the only teens who were the least cooperative about playing their roles as extras were Cherry and Wallace Reinhold. At least they were teens that you've met if you've been keeping up with all the episodes of the Tales of Happy Valley.

"Let's try it again, Arthur, but next time don't grab for my zipper when you fall down."
Cherry and Wallace Reinhold were the only teens who cooperated with the shoot.

All the other kids are fiddling about out of frame, doing whatever kids do twixt twelve and twenty.

So several takes later we finally had the collision scene in the can and all the actors could go back to their normal lives. That was a great relief for Karen because she was getting really sore from bouncing her tush on the floor.

"Ouch! With these bruises I won't be able to wear my bikini for two weeks!"

That was when Arthur, via logic that only a teen can understand, thought it would be a good idea to have some fun after the shoot.

Last edited by Greg on Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:14 pm
The Making of Xanadu
Part 1: The Set

I don't think it will be too much of a spoiler to take a look at the stage set for Sheba's Bedtime Story.

The Pleasure Dome at Night

"Dome" in the context of Samuel Taylor Coleridge's poem means domicile, not a reference to the geometric construct.

At least this gave me something to do with all those naked-lady statues that Grandma made. Meadow wanted 'em so Sheba wrote 'em into the story. The nymphs playing in the fountains worked out quite nicely.

No pleasure dome would be complete without a bus stop, in this case complete with statues of langorous naked ladies looking down from its red glass roof.

Back Gardens at the Pleasure Dome

The Dome features a large swimming pool accessible only via its back patio. It's loaded with things that sims enjoy including more of those infamous statues.

First Floor of the Pleasure Dome

Luxurious living on the first floor. It includes two huge bedrooms, of course.

Second Floor of the Pleasure Dome

The second floor is unique. It offers all the comforts of home, including a full-service shopping area staffed by random locals even though this is a residential lot.

Re: The Tale of the Tale
dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:18 pm
What fun!

Greg wrote:
"Let's try it again, Arthur, but next time don't grab for my zipper when you fall down."

Grin

The Pleasure Dome (oh, "domicile"; that explains alot!) is fantastic (literally).
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:37 pm
Happy Valley High

Since in the story you only got to see one little corner of the high school, I thought it might be fun to see the rest of the hastily constructed monument to secondary education.

High School Exterior

Admittedly, not too dramatic. All the architects at the Pearl Construction Company were on vacation so we had to make do with what we had.

The main entrance features a covered porch where the kids could stop to stow their umbrellas if it ever rained here.

High School Second Floor

The high school's lunch room is on the second floor, flanked by the computer lab and the principal's office. Across the hall on the front (south) side of the building are the art studio and a regular classroom.

As with every high school I've ever seen, the hallways are lined with lockers.

High School First Floor

The first floor houses the main entrance, three classrooms, and the library. It's not a very big school, but then, Happy Valley isn't a very big town.

Arthur Thayer's fateful collision with Every Boy's Fantasy Karen Lund took place at the east end of the first floor, toward the top of this picture. Arthur was rushing out of Mr. Reno's English Lit class at the back east corner of the building. Karen was escaping from the library. They smacked into each other in their haste to get out the east door, each hoping to be the first to board the bus.

Although Mr. Reno was droning on about English Lit, the white board in that classroom room is actually covered with notes about the rocket equation. That must have been left over from another class; but incongruously, all the white boards in the school seem to be covered with notes about the rocket equation.

Three egress points and four staircases make fire drills very easy in this small school. I wanted to keep our kids safe!

High School Basement

Not to neglect physical education, the basement features a large swimming pool, exercise machines, and an area for calesthenics and dance class. It also has boys' and girls' locker rooms complete with the ubiquitous gang showers.

So, why did I bother to construct an entire school to shoot a scene that could have been done in a corner of some lot no bigger than the master bath at the Houstonian?

Because! It set the mood, and I really wasn't sure how much of the school I'd use. As it turned out, Arthur and Karen hardly moved from that one end of the main hallway. After being knocked down a dozen times, Karen was in no mood for anything other than getting back home, but I was ready no matter what she wanted to do!

On the other hand, I started working on that episode at about 7:30 AM yesterday morning, thinking I'd be done by 9:00. It was late afternoon when I finally got those two little chapters posted, but it was fun!
smile

miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:30 pm
Oh, I've got to get the dress inspired by Bernadette and her fish uploaded...

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Liss
Daughter of the Moon
Post Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:51 pm
Greg, did you ever make this available for download?

Wytch's Brew
http://wytchsbrew.simshost.com/
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:37 am
~bump~

The Tale of the Tale