Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. :story: Red River Legacy
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
:story: Red River Legacy
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:33 pm
Red River Legacy
Preface

Inspired by all the legacy noise around here, especially among them Angelina's adventures, I thought to take a break from puzzling over tales of superheroes, supervillains, aliens, elves, gnomes, and little men and try my hand at my own version of a legacy neighborhood.

Red River
Just one lonely house at 301 First Street and an all-in-one shopping and entertainment district just up from the wharves.

Thus was born Red River, my 13th neighborhood. In this tale, the Red River* dumps directly into the Gulf of Zydeco. Two bridges join the north and south parts of town, much the same as a certain town in northern Nyawk, but you can tell this place is way down south in Dixie because it's not buried under 26 feet of snow on February 4.

And in the town of Red River, way down south on First Street, is the home of the noble and ever-hopeful Charlie Sturgeon.

Greg's Own Version of Legacy

I'm playing by my own rules, of course. (The Sims is a toy, not a game!) The basic schtick is the same: Start with only one player-created character. No fiddling with money, moods, relationships, career levels, or any of those things that sims have to develop. Now, that's where the neurotic adherence to Maxian neuroses ends.

In this version, the characters must demonstrate sane behavior. No dysfunctional neurotics. No sociopaths. This ain't Happy Valley, though; they can get torqued with each other and there are no guarantees of a happy life. But, unlike the Maxian version of the game, friends must act like friends and characters should in general avoid intentional pursuit of self-destructive behavior.

For instance, how many of us in real life, when visiting a best friend's house, just sit on our hineys and wait to be waited on? Just how often do we beat the bejeesus out of our friends and call that fun? How would your friends react if you sat down at their piano and dropped a busker jar, banging away on the keys and expecting them to give you tips?

You get the idea. Other than that, the characters have to play it as it lays (so to speak).

I expect this to be just another slice-of-life simmish adventure, but... well... not exactly.

*The real Red River marks the state boundary between Texas and Oklahoma. Come and seeit bah muh side, l'il darlin'.

dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:36 pm
Oh boy!

I'm betting you're not going to try to get all possible colors of ghosts on the lot, either, f'rinstance... *8)
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:00 pm
Red River Legacy
Chapter 1: Charlie

Charlie Sturgeon, First Citizen of Red River

As the curtain rises, we meet Charlie Sturgeon, the first citizen of Red River and only player-created character.*

Charlie had nothing going for him in Boveena. Back there he had no job, no parents, and no life. With nothing to lose, he decided to risk it all on one turn of pitch-and-toss and move to Red River to start afresh.

When Charlie moved to town, Red River was just a pit stop on the road to larger realms. Even the folks who staffed the convenience store commuted in from Boveena and Bonnyview Shores.

With just $20,000 in his pocket, he picked out a little bungalow from the Maxian Prefab Homes Catalog and blew half of his bank account having it assembled on a nice-looking corner on the South Bluff. No trees. No shrubs. No flowers. Not much of a lawn. But it was all his! And most important of all, no boisterous Bovinoids!

Since this was the first occupied street in town, he called it First Street. (Charlie is not known for his creativity.)

With no businesses in town, jobs were scarce. Fortunately there were some guys passed right by his house on the way as their car pool made its way down to the army base in Happy Valley, and they'd be happy to pick him up. He snagged a job as a recruit; didn't have to report for work until the next day.

Having scorched his saving account on the purchase of the house, Charlie immediately realized his mistake. The welcome committee party was scheduled, but nobody showed up!** Charlie wanted to find a wife and settle down and raise a family, but he obviously was not going to meet any suitable candidates--or even any unsuitable ones--while sitting around at home.

It was time to head downtown and see who else patronizes the local establishments. He called for a cab and spent his time perusing a cookbook while waiting for it to show up.

*The uncanny resemblance between Charlie and the Primary Guilty Party of the Tales of Happy Valley is purely coincidental. He is a CAS-generated sim. Underneath the beard and the hair, he is his own sim.

**I blew away all the sims in the neighborhood before creating Charlie.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:01 pm
dmchess wrote:
Oh boy!

I'm betting you're not going to try to get all possible colors of ghosts on the lot, either, f'rinstance... *8)

Stay tuned! Rolling on the Floor Laughing

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:17 pm
Red River Legacy
Chapter 2: Kitty

Charlie hung around downtown all day, hoping to meet someone soft and cuddly. No luck. There was nobody around except three teen girls staffing the cash registers and one red-haired guy named George Reagan.

Day wore on into evening. He whipped up a chef's salad, enough to feed half a dozen folks. The only person who showed up to have dinner with him was George. Now, George was a nice enough guy, but not exactly what Charlie was looking for. Wrong plumbing, y'know.

He was started to get tired, and still no adult women were in sight. In desparation, he checked out the teenagers. At least they were feminine companionship.

Two of them were Bovinoids. No interest. But the third one he talked to was commuting up from Bonnyview Shores. She definitely had some potential, albeit too young for Charlie's immediate plans. He name was Kitty Shaker.

Charlie managed to get Kitty to join George and him for dinner. After dinner, they shared a few games of pinball and got to know each other rather well.

Kitty visits Charlie's home.

By the time he got home that evening, Charlie was feeling confident enough to call Kitty and invite her over. It was 9:30 PM on his first night in town when she finally showed up.

They hit it off quite well. It turned out that he and Kitty had a lot in common. They were both orphans and had no idea who their parents were. He came to think of her as his friend; in fact, his only friend. All too soon, though, Kitty had to get home. It was a school night, y'know, and Charlie had to be up with the chickens the next morning to catch his ride pool to the army base.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:29 pm
Red River Legacy
Chapter 3: Escalation

He plied her with spaghetti.

By the evening of his second night in town, Charlie was in dire straits. He had developed an obsession with having a baby. Unfortunately, babies grow from zygotes, and zygotes require complementary gametes, and gametes are generally supplied by the adult female of the species.

Tragically, he still was unable to find anyone of the requisite age and sex in this burg. At the very least, Kitty was a balm against loneliness, so he invited her over for dinner and plied her with spaghetti.

Pubescent Passion

To Charlie's surprise, Kitty turned out to be quite quite flirtatious. She was, after all, a teenager. Had he thought about it, he would have realized that teen boys were as scarce as adult women in this tiny town of Red River. It's really no wonder that he became the focus for Kitty's raging hormones.

Foolish though it may be, Charlie returned flirtation for flirtation. He found himself falling deeper and deeper into a relationship that would be a long time bearing fruit.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:41 pm
Red River Legacy
Chapter 4: The Die is Cast

Late that evening, Charlie threw caution to the wind and gave into drives he could neither control nor understand.

She'll grow up eventually, right?

He found himself drowning in the need for feminine companionship, and Kitty was quite litereally the only game in town. Charlie rationalized the whole thing by telling himself that Kitty would eventually grow up to a marriageable age. He might as well phone ahead for reservations!

This self-delusion grew to the point that he asked little Kitty to move in with him.

Kitty knew a good thing when she saw it!

Kitty did not hesitate for a moment. She could either move in with Charlie, where she would live in a real house paid for by an army guy, or return to being an orphan living on the streets and scratching out a living as a clerk in a convenience store at a rest stop on the highway. Besides, she was seriously in heat over Charlie!

She figured her life just improved by about 1000%.

What is this? The last remake of Pretty Baby?

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:10 pm
Red River Legacy
Chapter 5: He Hadn't Warned Her About This

Clinging to his sense of nobility, Charlie went to bed that night alone, leaving Kitty to fend for herself. It was then that Kitty discovered that there was only one bed in the house, not even a sofa upon which to lay down her weary bones.

Again, she didn't hesitate. She just slipped into her nightshirt and crawled into bed with Charlie. Soon she was happily snuggled up with him, falling asleep to the rhythm of his snoring.

She did not have a restful night, though. It had been a long, exhausting day. She awoke in the middle of the night. It had been a strong dream, vague images with someone moaning in the background. Then she realized that she really had to go to the bathroom!

With that biological immediacy satisfied, she decided to take a shower. That's where it happened.

The house is haunted!

Kitty's nocturnal ablutions were rudely interrupted by a terrifying scream, and she found a ghost in the shower with her! She leaped out the shower (and oddly, into her clothes) only to find that the ghost was chasing her!

Eventually, the haunt went away. Now Kitty really had to go to the bathroom. Her repetition of the nights ablutions were a nervous affair, but she finally succeeded in getting back to bed where she clung tightly to Charlie and tried to go to sleep.

All through the night, their slumbers were interrupted by that same moaning. More than once it felt as if that horrible ghost had passed right through them!

On Thursday morning, the fourth day, Charlie explained that he had heard that there had been a death on the property but had not put much thought into it. He promised Kitty that he would take care of the problem when he got home that evening.

----------
I thought it was hilarious that David would mention ghosts. In actual game play, there were no adult females in town. No female drivers. The handywoman was past child-bearing age. Charlie's driver was a guy! There was not even a maid!

Obviously Charlie wan't going to have much of a legacy if he never had children, which is why I had to resort to hooking him up with a teen with the hope that he wouldn't go into total aspiration failure before she grew up. Charlie was stuck on wanting to have a baby. The only other alternative seemed to be the aliens, and in my game that is Not Going To Happen.

Things were looking pretty bleak by the second day so I tried killing off the swish who showed up to clean Charlie's sinks. (Besides, those Fornyan faggots who like to role-play as maids are another thing that is Not Going To Happen in my game. They can wash out their lavender jockey shorts in somebody else's sinks, thank you.) Then he got involved with Kitty and I completely forgot about the tombstone in the back yard until that furshlugginer ghost showed up!

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:24 pm
Red River Legacy
Chapter 6: They Could, So They Did

Kitty was not in the best mood when she caught the bus for her first real day in school on Thursday morning. She was still pretty much worn out from lack of sleep, but somehow she dragged through the day and even improved her grades a bit.

When Charlie got home, he insisted that she do her homework and even taught her how to study. He wasn't in any better shape than she, but by that time, Kitty was desparate to have a little fun in her life. Weary though she was, she would not allow Charlie to go to sleep until he made a woman of her.

Sic transit the simple joys of maidenhood.

That pegged all her meters, so Kitty was finally able to have a restful night's sleep, snuggled safely in Charlie's embrace.

What about the ghost, you ask?

Charlie could have fulfilled his promise to do something about that obnoxious ghost by simply tossing digging up the grave and dumping it, tombstone and all, into the river, but that's just not something Charlie would do.

Instead of polluting that pretty river, he built a ghost trap. In the back corner of the lot, an old meteor crater had filled with water. With a bit of brick and some honest sweat, Charlie constructed a shrine to the not-so-dearly departed.

Ghost Trap

In doing this, Charlie took advantage of some arcane knowledge from esoteric ancient lore: Ghosts will not cross water. Just like people, they need a bridge, and he did not supply a bridge. Now the ghost can flaunt his vaporous lavender dainties all night and no one will be disturbed.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:43 pm
Red River Legacy
Chapter 7: Elle

As with all Lolita stories, though, it couldn't last. In this case, though, instead of the guy falling into ruin, Charlie found an adult woman in town.

A grown woman arrives to burst Kitty's bubble.
Monday, Day 8, 11:46 PM

It happened on Saturday morning, the sixth day. The regular letter carrier was replaced by a lovely woman by the name of Elle Miller.

Kitty was playing with a new easel that Charlie had bought for her when Elle stopped to pick up the outgoing mail. He spotted her through the front window and like a shot was out to meet her.

For the next couple of days, he seemed to be spending an awful lot of his time on the telephone talking to the mail lady. By Monday evening, he invited her over for dinner and she stayed to chat well into the night.

Kitty could see the handwriting on the wall. She didn't like it, but there was no way she could complete with that. Elle could offer Charlie something that Kitty could not--an opportunity to have children before he was ready to join AARP.

The worst part of it was that Elle was nice. Or maybe even worse, Kitty actually liked her! It was a bittersweet moment. Kitty really wanted to have lots and lots of friends, and she knew almost nobody in town. Elle was a chance for Kitty to make another friend, at the cost of losing her boyfriend. What was a tenacious teen to do?

Liss
Daughter of the Moon
Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:49 pm
you know you can use debug mode to regenerate townies and downtownies, right? Also, Inge's teleporter bush now does this.

Wytch's Brew
http://wytchsbrew.simshost.com/
Re: Legacy
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:12 pm
lionamax wrote:
This is really a Legacy challenge? It's a little bit weard... embarrassed If you to check out the real rules go to http://www.legacychallenge.com/ they have the real rules!!! Anyway... That Legacy version it's cool! I like it! Keep up with the good work!

They have their rules. I have mine. Grin

I wanted to experiment with establishing a neighborhood with none of the obvious "cheats" and without doing all the weird things I have going on in my other neighborhoods. The "legacy" comes from having a single sim start the neighborhood, thus establishing his legacy.
    leg·a·cy

1. Money or property bequeathed to another by will.

2. Something handed down from an ancestor or a predecessor or from the past: a legacy of religious freedom. See Synonyms at heritage.

As crianças herdam a riqueza do seu pai.

The reason for ruling out the obvious "cheats" for money, skills, relationships, and such is to find out how much of a legacy the original character can pass on to his offspring. Without those rules, there is no meaning to the progenitor's legacy.

By also ruling out the insane behaviors and other silliness that Maxis programmed into the game, it's more interesting to me because the characters are much more real.

I had not intended to allow ghosts in this neighborhood but since I blundered and got one into the game on the second day, I decided to just play the hand I had dealt myself.

I also had not expected to find that there were no adult females in town for Charlie. If I had waited until the 6th day, the story might have been quite different. On the other hand, without Kitty, Charlie might have been so deep in aspiration failure by then that I would have had to give up and start all over.

dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:25 pm
Greg wrote:
On the other hand, without Kitty, Charlie might have been so deep in aspiration failure by then that I would have had to give up and start all over.

Wow, did all of his Wants require adult (or adult-behaving) females? Single-minded fellow! *8)
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:44 pm
dmchess wrote:
Greg wrote:
On the other hand, without Kitty, Charlie might have been so deep in aspiration failure by then that I would have had to give up and start all over.

Wow, did all of his Wants require adult (or adult-behaving) females? Single-minded fellow! *8)

He was stuck on wanting to have a baby, flirt, throw a party, and some other silly thing like "Be saved from death." My parties are inevitably disasters, but even worse, he didn't know enough people well enough to have a party anyhow. The only way out of it was to flirt with somebody.

Kitty was in a similar situation. She wanted to flirt and have her first kiss, but there were no teen boys in sight (and I still haven't found one). She managed to break the logjam.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:59 pm
Red River Legacy
Chapter 8: Jenna and George

That very same momentous Monday, yet another adult female came home from work with Charlie. This was Jenna Cameron. Charlie wanted to make some time with Elle so he invited his buddy George Reagan over to meet Jenna and keep her company.

Jenna Cameron and George Reagan became something of a permanent fixture.

By the following day, Tuesday, Day 9, Jenna and George had become something of a permanent fixture at Charlie's house. They tended to gravitate toward each other every time Charlie invited them over, and he invited them over just about every day.

I changed Jenna's clothing. Once out of her army uniform, she showed up wearing a bright purple dress that didn't go with her complexion at all. Now she's wearing the Better Living Through Chocolate Crop Top with her white painter's pants. Yes, I know it's a terrible pun. That's why I did it.

:story: Red River Legacy