Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. The Mimosa Family, or, Doing things the Hard Way...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:06 pm
Nope, on Nanny Kelly's advice, just applied double quantity of nappy rash cream and let 'em sit in them... it shouldn't have taken so long for the birthdays but Mum fell asleep on the job and had to go for a nap, Nanny decided she would rather play with the computer for a lot of what should have been the birthday party, Suzanne and pete had to go to work.

And last of all, little Trev. "Yes, Ted darling, I know you are tired. Now mind out of my way please!"

And Ted got in the way of Trev's cake complaining bitterly of tiredness and simply WOULD not move.

At the end of the birthday party
Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:08 pm
Wendy swore "Never again!"

(Actually she was upset because I had put island counters against the walls for an eating area in the kitchen - and the dirty plates couldn't be cleared. So the environment score was very low indeed. But I have felt like that about kids' parties...)

((and yes that is little Trev crawling to her...))
Well they finally made it to childhood
Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:13 pm

You can get a glimpse of the house in the Neighbourhood Screen shot here.

Although the house had been designed specially for babies and toddlers, it was far too far from a decent school. The children were exhausted by all the travelling and homework was a problem, although they could find much of the resources they needed on the Internet - Suzanne was good at finding information for the children's projects, but as she told their parents, she was not a teacher. "We may have to consider moving into the city to get decent schooling for them, Pete," said Wendy.

Tone in particular found the whole business far too tiring. He didn't even make it into the house. Fortunately it was Thursday and the weekend was approaching for homework catching-up.
Friday was a school day
Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:20 pm

Patty, who some here might remember, once said to me that the best moment of her very large Sims 1 families was watching all the little ones troup off to school. I agree.
But when the post came...
Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:25 pm

Pete found his long-suffering employer had "reluctantly, to let him go." He found this very upsetting, but eventually sat down and applied for other jobs, winding up in the Athletics career as a mascot. He got a post in Lincoln.

The family decided to move to the city [translation] I wanted them in Sherwood, where I can use Nightlife and cheat objects, and the kids have a chance of going to Uni. Lincoln is the Downtown city part of my main playing hood, Sherwood.

the whole story, in more detail, starts at

http://www.simechoes.org/stories/sims2stories/newtransylvania/mimosa/sextuplets.html

This was something I had long wanted to try; I had no RAM issues, but shocked I refuse to ever play a huge family like that again without cheat objects! shocked
Re: Just some cute baby pictures
dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:49 pm
Sita wrote:
I didn't dare have the camera mod installed so coldn't get really close up, but I like these.

? Isn't it possible to get as close as you like in normal Cameraman (TAB) mode?
Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:54 pm
If it is, I haven't figured it out. I seem to be able to get just so far and so further. Need to play around with it more, but I tend to get involved in my characters' lives lol
dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:25 pm
Sita wrote:
If it is, I haven't figured it out. I seem to be able to get just so far and so further. Need to play around with it more, but I tend to get involved in my characters' lives lol

*8) Press TAB and then play with Q W E A S and D (and Z and X, although I don't tend to use those much). You can get as close as you like in general (the main constraint that doesn't seem to go away is that you still can't get all the way to the ground).
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:18 pm
TAB - Enter and exit cameraman mode

Q and E - move viewpoint up or down

W - move forward
A and D - move left or right
S - move back

Z and X - zoom in and out

The zooms work like a real zoom lens. For example, if you want to make the background objects larger in relation to the foreground, use S to move all the way back to Peoria and use Z to zoom in.

Zoom out, or wide-angle lens, is useful if you want to get a wide field of view inside a small room, or if you're going for weird effects.

I just learned that cameraman mode is part of the unmodded game, too. The camera mod increases the range you travel with each of these controls.

Last edited by Greg on Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:16 am; edited 2 times in total

dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:32 pm
Greg wrote:
Q and E - move viewpoint left or right

(Actually down and up. At least in the unmodded game...)
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:00 pm
dmchess wrote:
Greg wrote:
Q and E - move viewpoint left or right

(Actually down and up. At least in the unmodded game...)

Oops. You're right. Fixed it.

Interesting!
SimCityGallery
Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:34 pm
I have a hard enough time with twins or even more than 4 college students in a house. I keep having to pause and set everyone up with something to do then unpause again. I hate having to pause as it seems to disrupt the flow of play that way.

-SCG

You haven't convinced me that multiples are more fun! wink
Re: Interesting!
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:53 am
SimCityGallery wrote:
I have a hard enough time with twins or even more than 4 college students in a house. I keep having to pause and set everyone up with something to do then unpause again. I hate having to pause as it seems to disrupt the flow of play that way.

-SCG

You haven't convinced me that multiples are more fun! wink

Aha! We have learned that different folks enjoy this toy in different ways, and that's reflected in the style of game play. Usually I spend more time with the game paused than I do with it running, planning strategies and directing the sims to do whatever I want them to do next.

I think the huge families are fun because of the strategic challenges; and besides, I just love to watch the li'l folks!

Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:56 am
yes, Greg.

I love to watch the little ones too - but I did this as a sort of challenge - let's see if I CAN do it - I don't enjoy seeing them all totally miserable and the poor parents completely run off their feet.

PS I tried to put the family into my game with NL reinstalled and it crashed repeatedly sad I have all my cheats and hacked objects there and I think the socials are better in NL too - so kids and adults would be happier.

So I might make them again in that sometime. Meanwhile I'll try and recreate the family in NL. Those kids are on my mind now. hiding
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:17 am
I got through that episode with everybody being happy, but doing it required using Inge Jones's SimLogical never-empty bottle, no-empty potty, and child-gets-self-out crib. Having a couple of nannies made it much easier on the parents. Also, in the Chapters house I gave each toddler a private bedroom and used Inge's 4-key locking door to keep toddlers out of each other's rooms. That way if they do fuss, they don't wake up their siblings.

The first thing I did was potty-train all the toddlers. Once that's done, then the children can be self-maintaining and the parents can concentrate on snuggling and tickling.

The Mimosa Family, or, Doing things the Hard Way...