Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. THE STRANGETOWN ENQUIRER
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Kaylyn
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:53 pm
Enable testingcheats, shift-click a sim, click Spawn, More, Sim Modder. Allows you to change age and aspiration and all kinds of goodness. Don't forget about my offer to be your test subject! Will be able to get to my discs weekend after next for a reinstall and will be happy to work out a suitable workaround for you so you'll know it's working before treading into those waters again.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:22 pm
lunahskye wrote:
Enable testingcheats, shift-click a sim, click Spawn, More, Sim Modder. Allows you to change age and aspiration and all kinds of goodness. Don't forget about my offer to be your test subject! Will be able to get to my discs weekend after next for a reinstall and will be happy to work out a suitable workaround for you so you'll know it's working before treading into those waters again.

I haven't forgotten! Grin

The delay is mostly waiting for an audit of my hacks and stuff to percolate up to top priority. You've already noticed that it's difficult for me to think about other things when there's a bird on the pad, even though I did manage to slip in a few little Simmish things and even made some progress on my day job!

I'm sure that Amarilla Allspin would have fun writing an investigative report about that! lol

miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:50 pm
Nasa Employee Spending More Time Watching Launch Than Working ?

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Kaylyn
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:00 pm
Okey dokey! I didn't think you'd forgotten, but yes, I know you're bouncing off the ceiling with the mission in progress! Just checking! Grin Mainly wanted to let you know that it would be at least weekend after next before I even get to my OFB discs (I run with "no-cd" hacks because discs have a short life span in my truck if I'm not super-careful). And now that one of my characters has gotten in the family way with one of the OFB playables, I can't do a reinstall unless I have OFB with me because I'll probably be playing and writing immediately after getting my game set back up with my hacks, and this particular romance has begun to intrigue me somewhat...

(The preceding statement was a shameless teaser of things to come in Bellevue...)

That reminds me...when do we get to read more about YOUR Sims? bounce

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:03 pm
miros1 wrote:
Nasa Employee Spending More Time Watching Launch Than Working ?

Space Nuts Suffer From Launch Disease Epidemic

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:28 pm
I made an inventory of all the hacks I could find. I did the list in Excel and then used Excel to save as html, and put it here:

http://thesims2.simshost.com/makenlplayable.html

In the "Importance" rating:

5: Absolutely essential. More important to me to have this feature than to install Nightlife or OFB
4: A feature I really want (or don't want) in my game but some Nightlife features might make it worth the loss.
3: Fun, but not essential. Or fixes that I don't know enough about to know whether I really want them.
2: Mostly things I'm curious about or once fiddle with, but really don't care.
1: Not important to me.

When was rereading my previous experience with Nightlife it reminded me of the many days of grief I had to go through. Even after all that, the result was that there are still things screwed up in my game.

One feature that I don't think is possible: Somehow, make it easy to install Nightlife and OFB without having to spend several days testing, repairing, and replacing things; and make it easy to uninstall them and undo any damage they did. When a game gets so bad that you spend twice as much time maintaining it as you do playing it, it's not worth doing.

After rereading all that misery, I'm inclined to think I won't install Nightlife or OFB (or any other expansion packs) until I can afford to buy a seperate machine to test them on. That will be a very long time, if ever. I like what I have now; don't want to risk messing it up again.

Kaylyn
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:07 pm
I may be a glutton for punishment, but it's my goal to try to recreate the same problems you had before I even attempt to fix anything. If I can do that, then I know I am on the right track to a working solution.

Here's my plan of attack:

1. Back up my Sims 2 folder as is because I know it's working with everything I have installed. Make sure all custom content is backed up as well, including my hacks.

2. Completely uninstall the game. Install base game and patches for base game only. Then install Uni and the patches for it. (Trying to recreate where you are right now.)

3. Hunt down and install exactly what you have on that spreadsheet. This should be an accurate emulation of your game.

4. Add some random custom content: clothing, eyes, objects, skintones. Build a test house in a new neighborhood. Goof around in it, make sure it's working. Go into a Uni neighborhood and make sure it's working. Back up this Sims 2 folder.

5. Install Nightlife without updating any hacks and play around. This should be where I start experiencing your problems. If I don't...then something fishier is going on or there's something I forgot.

6. Find NL-compatible updates for hacks on your list. Find fixes for things you mentioned need fixing in NL. (I believe I've seen fixes or workarounds for everything you've mentioned.) Test game, checking for eye colors, skintones, custom content, making sure everything is as it should be.

7. Install OFB and repeat last few steps.

I plan on keeping a detailed log of exactly what I do so if I do something wrong or if there's something I need to check out for you, I can do that. Also if you think something's changed in testingcheats and you want to know if it's still there or need another way to do something, let me know. Or you can just ignore me. Grin But I can't help myself, ever since I read that thread it's a mystery I'm dying to solve!! lol What you said about having to spend days repairing and replacing stuff...that's kinda why I wanted to try to do this, so you'd have a ready-made and working (to the best of my knowledge) formula that you wouldn't have to worry about. Just trying to be nice and save you the misery! smile

Question: Is Mrs. Grundy what you call Mrs. Crumplebottom? If not, I'm not sure who you're referring to.

(Edit: Going through this list has made me want just about every hack you have anyway, so this is a good thing! Grin)

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:17 am
Sounds like a good plan!

I think before reinstalling the hacks it would be wise to check to see if there are Nightlife or OFB versions already available. That could eliminate a few rounds of pain and grief.

That big table turned out to be really clumsy. There are so many hacks that it's beginning to look like I need to create a database just to keep track of them all.

miros1
Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:40 am
Yeah, I'm not sure why you'd want to replicate Greg's problems when the hack creators know their hacks are broken and have already fixed them.

At least have the new hacks downloaded and ready to unzip and install!

dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:13 pm
Greg wrote:
I made an inventory of all the hacks I could find.

Wow, quite a bunch!

Some that I think NL already fixes: noplagiarism, fasterbuyclothes, norandomcrush, and the A+ hacks (kids now get excited only about their first A+ I'm pretty sure).

"allow fan content", "Don't require that fan-created content has to be purchased all over again": what's that one mean? I've got quite alot of cc, and I didn't have to purchase it all over again in any sense I can think of when I upgraded to NL without any special hacking...

DC
miros1
Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:46 pm
I'd say NL fixes that too...

When your NL game starts up, it asks if you want your custom content (dUH). If Enable is not checked, click Enable and quit from the neighborhood screen. When you run the game again, it will start up normally, WITH custom content. It repeats the question each time you install stuff, but if nothing new is installed, it will just go to the 'hood screen.

Kaylyn
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:36 pm
miros1 wrote:
Yeah, I'm not sure why you'd want to replicate Greg's problems when the hack creators know their hacks are broken and have already fixed them.

At least have the new hacks downloaded and ready to unzip and install!

The main reason I want to duplicate his problems is if I can successfully recover the game with hacks intact after breaking my game on purpose, then his game is salvageable. If I can't even force my game to break, that tells me there's something fishier going on that only a complete game wipe would solve, and something tells me he wouldn't be too keen on that idea... wink

I'm going to download all versions of his hacks and only install the versions that go with the EP I am testing, then update them as I update each EP. The point of this systematic reinstall is to pretend like I'm installing each EP as it comes out, and patching each one individually. Whether or not Greg actually uses my results is completely up to him, but if he does and only wants to install NL, he'll have everything he needs to do that, and if he wants to install OFB later or at the same time or whatever, he'll have the info ready.

Maybe I'm just being obsessive-compulsive, but ever since I read about his problems it's been bugging me as to why it gave him so much trouble, and I wanna fix it! Grin If he never installs any more EPs other than Uni, maybe this will help someone else that's having similar problems.

miros1
Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:26 pm
It broke because he installed it the day it came out which was about 4 days before updated hacks came out...

By the time the updated hacks came out, he was so peeved he just didn't want to deal with it.

Lydia
Senior SimsHost Fan
Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:55 pm
I canít wait to see what you come up with Kaylyn. I couldnít even fathom where to begin on a project like this!

Even if Greg doesnít want to risk the install again Iím sure there are others who would find this helpful.

~Lydia
Ghostman
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:48 pm
This board gave me an idea for my avatar: toddler Jhonny Smith
THE STRANGETOWN ENQUIRER