Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic Breading combinations for fish, chicken, pork chops, etc.
Breading combinations for fish, chicken, pork chops, etc.
miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:27 pm
1) Bread crumbs and parmesan cheese
2) Cornmeal and cumin (also good on pork roast)

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Coatings
SimCityGallery
Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:32 pm
3) Cornmeal with Sage and Garlic Salt for Pork Chops.
4) Flour and Poultry Seasoning for Chicken, moisten with beer. (Same combo also good for fish)

-SCG
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:02 pm
Do you put the beer in the flour mixture or do you moisten the meat with the beer before you dredge it in the flour?

Moisten
SimCityGallery
Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:10 am
I pour some beer in a shallow bowl, dip the meat in it then roll it in the flour mixture. I prefer dark beer so use that but you can use anything you like. Amber Bock or St. Pauli Girl-Dark is excellent for such uses because of the robust taste.

I learned that technique from my Polish grandfather who said they always made it that way in the Old Country. My parents were both first generation Americans so I've learned many exotic recipes from my grandparents. 'Course none of us measure anything so it's sometimes hard to pass those recipes on unlike you can show someone what it is suppose to look like, smell like, taste like, feel like. I make my rye bread like that. just toss the ingredients together until the dough feels right then shape it in the traditional round loaves and pop it in the oven till it smells and look right. Maybe it's a European thing? Most Americans--I think measure everything.

-SCG
miros1
Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:39 am
Well, it's easier to teach what "right" looks and smells like when you have measurements!

Personally, sometimes I measure and sometimes I don't. My mother laughs at me for measuring apple pie ingredients, but things get nasty when I don't!

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:21 am
It's not cultural. The difference is whether you use precise measuring tools or just estimate it by eye.

More experienced cooks know how much is a cup or teaspoon or a tablespoon so they can eyeball it close enough to not matter. Great chefs always measure precisely when they want to get repeatable results; that's what sous chefs are for.

On the third hand, measuring isn't always sufficient to get repeatable results. Sometimes you have to adjust for temperature and humidity. For instance, when making pie crust, the humidity makes a big difference in how much moisture you add to the flour.

Not sure about that Greg
SimCityGallery
Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:50 pm
By your theory, I come then from a long line of experienced cooks. I find that hard to believe considering how many of us there are on both sides of the family. Of the family still in the "Old Country" none of them measure either. Swapping recipes with that crowd gives you a list of ingredients only...no measures with the only instructions as simple as "the dough should be slightly sticky".

Neighbors and friends here in the states all measure. That's why when asked for my pierogi recipe, I have to invite them over to learn to make them as they have no idea how to cook from just a list of ingredients. They think I'm the strange one that just can't fork over a recipe like they are used to. Pierogis aren't hard, it's just a dough you roll out then cut into circles, a dab of filling in each....fold over and seal. You don't even need the official old crystal chipped up glass that was my great-grandmother's to cut them in the right size....although I don't make them without it. wink

Pierogis come to mind because I've spent the last two days making them as frozen and sealed in ziplocks they make a perfect meal to have on hand when unexpected company drops by. Also for the neighbors that ask for them each Christmas because they have learned I have a freezer full at that time. Boiled, Pan-Fried or Baked...they are a perfect Polish food.

-SCG
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:35 am
Oh my! I need to get out more! I had to Google to find out what pierogis are!

Image pilfered from http://www.banlieusardises.com/

They look good! These must be a Polish version of won ton or dim sun or some other flavor of dumplings, that which grandma Bennett called pasties. From the recipes I found, they can be filled with almost anything and cooked just about anyway you can get 'em to cook and they still count as pierogis.

We need to teach our sims to make these little gems!

miros1
Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:04 pm
I think the filling is supposed to include potatoes to count as Pierogis...

They are good
SimCityGallery
Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:55 pm
Greg, they are even better with a sour cream sauce or gravy or grilled onions and mushrooms. smile

In my family, we have make the fillings of saurkaut, potato & cheese, potato & onion, just cheese alone or any combination there of.

After I make them, I spread them on a cookie sheet then toss in the freezer till they are solid. I then take them out and bag them in ziplocks. (You do that so they don't stick together) To cook them, you just take a bag out of the freezer and boil them till they float, pan fry them till golden brown or bake them till they start to puff up. Add a sauce mentioned above or eat plain. My son even dips them in salsa. Can also be eaten like the Italian ravioli with a red sauce, the cheese ones are really good that way. So versatile they would make a great astronaut food when we ever have Polish astronauts...I'm sure they will be.

I take them camping even as they will keep a long time even in a cooler and you can make them different ways so you don't feel like you are eating the same thing.

-SCG
miros1
Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:23 pm
To get back on the original thread:

5) Flour and grated cheese on pork chops
6) Cornmeal, paprika, onion powder, and lemon pepper on fish

Another yummy easy thing: Instant rice jazzed up T. Marzetti's 3 Cheese Italian Dressing (had it with the fish)

Sounds good Rose
SimCityGallery
Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:48 pm
I'll have to try the rice and Marzetti's, that sounds really good. I love their coleslaw dressing!

-SCG
miros1
Post Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:35 pm
7) Cornmeal with garlic, lemon pepper, and cajun seasoning on Catfish.

Breading combinations for fish, chicken, pork chops, etc.