Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic What film did you see last?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:25 am
Mel Gibson directed The Passion of Christ, and was therefore ultimately responsible for the actor getting hurt. So if there's any truth to the Harrison Ford rumor, we can place the blame for that at Mel Gibson's door.

I've expressed my opinion of The Passion of Christ elsewhere... it ain't nice.

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:40 am
Rumor about Indiana Jones (true): Harrison Ford had dysentary and didn't want to spend 2 days filming a big whip vs. sword scene. So he asked if he could shoot the guy instead.

http://www.snopes.com/movies/films/raiders.htm

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:38 am
Hmm... that wouldn't have any bearing on rumors about the new Indiana Jones movie. I still suspect that the story is made up.

WhiteSaber
Superlative SimsHost Fan
Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:23 am
I can't vouch for the reliability of these sources, but a quick search on the web brought up these.

http://www.starpulse.com/news/index.php/2007/02/01/harrison_ford_will_quit_indiana_jones_4_

http://www.applegeeks.com/blog/?p=1582

Actually, looking at some of the comments on the boards of those sites it appears that there's as much speculation about it being true as there is that it happened, so yeah. Take it with a grain of salt, and for what it's worth, I hope it's not true. Although, I believe if there WAS a safety law about no whips, that it's completely realistic that Ford would back out or say it was rediculous.

Last edited by WhiteSaber on Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:22 am
None of the discussions that I see about it cite a credible source and there's no mention of it that I can find on any credible sources. This rather strongly indicates that this story is a fabrication.

Addendum: More snooping about indicates that the story was made up by someone posing as "BANG Media International," presumably with hopes of getting lots of people to link to the story on their advertising-intensive web site.

WhiteSaber
Superlative SimsHost Fan
Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:05 pm
Well good, then I'm looking foward to what is hopefully a great chapter in the Indiana Jones saga. Whip and all.
Hedge Witch
Seeker of the Fae
Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:02 pm
last film was Lady in the Water, surprisingly a great movie!!!

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:51 pm
Just watched All the King's Men with Sean Penn and Jude Law. A political drama base on a book. It was pretty good, but have you ever had to watch a movie with English subtitles on because you can't understand what the actors are mumbling? Seems to happen more often lately and it was the case with this one.
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:28 pm
As a matter of fact, yes. Lately I've been turning on the English subtitles while watching movies in English most of the time! I would worry that it means my ears are going but it's a habit I learned from my son, so perhaps it really is the poor sound quality in the movies.

I haven't seen All the King's Men but considering what's coming out of Hollywood these days (and also considering the novel it was based on), I can guess that it's another over-dramatized culture assassination in the genre of 21st century political fantasies. The original novel by Robert Warren Penn and the 1949 movie based on it have an interesting history; they were the result of intra-Party squabbling within the Democrat party in the U.S. that arose when FDR's political machine had run down. It was a barb heavily promoted by liberal Democrats, aimed at populist Democrats. I guess I can't blame the actors for mumbling; if I'd been cast in a movie like that, I'd want to mumble my way through it, too!
Rolling on the Floor Laughing

Thera, I've never seen Lady in Winter but based on the description in the Wikipedia, it sounds rather intriguing! It says here that "it was listed by Variety as one of the 'ten biggest bombs' of 2006," which probably means I would like it!
lol

Kaylyn
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:55 pm
I just saw Hannibal Rising with Eddie last time I was home. Not exactly my favorite of that whole series (hard to top Silence of the Lambs, though Red Dragon was pretty good) but it did give a LOT of insight onto what made Hannibal Lecter the person he was in the other movies. I really want to read the book now...may have to see if I can borrow it from Eddie's mom, unless her copy was actually a library book...

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:08 am
I haven't paid any attention to Hannibal Lector at all, or very many other nut cases. Maybe that's why I have difficulty creating plausible villains. Thinking

WhiteSaber
Superlative SimsHost Fan
Post Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:05 pm
I don't like scary movies.

Just watched The Ron Clark Story. True story about a Teacher from North Carolina who moves to New york and helps a struggling 6th grade class in Harlem. Matthew Perry stars. Something I really liked is that in the bouns features, they have interviews with the real Ron Clark who was asked to help with the script so the movie was as true to life as possible.
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:03 pm
Speaking movies and Mel Gibson, while perusing ancient tomes of the history of the foggy isles this morning, I noticed a discrepancy in the movie Braveheart.

Isabella, estranged wife of Edward II of England, was only 9 years old when William Wallace was executed in 1305. She didn't marry Edward II until 3 years later, at the ripe old age of 12. (And she eventually went on to become his downfall; ended up holding Edward II in prison for the rest of his life and becoming the de facto reigning monarch until her son Edward III took the throne of England.)

Which means that the movie's allegation that William Wallace had an affair with Isabella and that Wallace was the real father of Edward III is pure fiction. (And to my mind, a deplorable corruption of history; totally unnecessary and inexcusable distortion of historical fact.)

On the other hand, the portrayal of Edward II as a flaming homosexual and completely inept military commander is quite accurate. The paternity of Edward III remains in doubt to this day; it couldn't have been William Wallace, but it's almost as unlikely that it was Edward II.

Who can tell? Considering Isabella's shenanigans, Edward III's father just might have been Robert the Bruce, who went on to become Robert I, King of Scotland, during the First War of Scottish Independence. I suspect that the movie's writers uncovered a rumor to that effect and then decided that it would be more amusing if William Wallace were the guilty party.

Peake1981
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:06 pm
Wallace's greatest victory, the Battle of Stirling Bridge (9/11/1297), in the movie is lacking it's two main defining features, a bridge and a river.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:35 pm
Greg wrote:
Which means that the movie's allegation that William Wallace had an affair with Isabella and that Wallace was the real father of Edward III is pure fiction. (And to my mind, a deplorable corruption of history; totally unnecessary and inexcusable distortion of historical fact.).

Would you believe I went to school with William Wallace? We called him "Bill".
What film did you see last?