Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. :story: The Townie Project
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Liss
Daughter of the Moon
Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:58 pm
I use jordi's better names mod. Then whenever I start a new neighborhood I deleteallcharacters and regenerate the npc's and townies. No more Goopy Gilscarbo's!

*edit* http://www.variousimmers.net/vsimforum/showthread.php?t=1593

Wytch's Brew
http://wytchsbrew.simshost.com/
dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:18 pm
Nihale199 wrote:
One all-purpose field guide for absolutely anywhere. Name one townie and I bet everyone will be able to say that (s)he exists on their computer.

Why on earth must they be the (nearly) exactly the same in Pleasantview and every custom neighbourhood? Why can't Maxis be more original?

I like it, myself; it means that everyone has one common set of people (the original Townies) to talk about in common, and another set of unique people (the CAS sims and later-generated Townies) that are uniquely theirs (well, within the limitations of the Townie-generator, which I agree is too limited). Maybe in the ideal world there'd be a "Use standard Townies?" question when you start a new neighborhood, so you'd have a choice...

DC
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:17 pm
I like having a common set of townies, too. The parts I don't like are having many townies with the same names and the lack of a back story for any of them.

The townies are representative of a general thread that runs through everything Maxis has done with The Sims: They emphasize isolated events and places while ignoring the continuum of people's lives.

dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:13 pm
Christie joins the crowd

As we saw the other day, Christy Stratton (Sally's first love from all those Sim years ago) is the third recruit for Project Townie, over at Rooms to Let.

(A version of this entry with a few extra unnecessary pictures can be found in here.)

She took full advantage of the local facilities and expertise.

"Now consciously relax your muscles as you tell the lie..."
The Rooms to Let regulars make good tutors.

Although her life's ambition is to have six grandchildren (which isn't going to happen anytime in the foreseeable future, I'm afraid), she's currently in the Law Enforcement field (as is Mitch), and she stayed around long enough to get a promotion or two.

"Who's your favorite officer?"
I could swear my Family sims didn't do this silly "honey, I'm home" thing until like last week sometime.

But there were complications.

"You two-timing unadmirable person!"
Although the Extractor's evil devices had robbed Christy of nearly all of her memories, she knew she loved Sandy, and couldn't stand seeing Sandy and Brandi getting affectionate. (Although most of the Townie Project sims are being brought in by Romance-aspiration lovers, I'm avoiding any romantic interactions post move-in (at least with the ones like Christy that are neither Romance themselves nor parents of any kids), in hopes that their relatively pristine memories will make for more monogamous marriages if they get hitched later. But that doesn't prevent these jealousy reactions, since they're based not on memories but on relationship bits.)

Before long, it was time to go.

"Don't forget to write."
Note Sandy standing in the flowers in her underwear. Sandy's teddy from the Wooden Simolean; Brandi's sweaterdress from Sim City Gallery.

And Melissa could pass the baby off to someone else.

"You're a family-type, you hold it!"

Next up, eventually: Joe Carr.
dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:08 pm
Movin' 'em in, movin' 'em out
Joe Carr passes through

Eleanor so enjoyed having Melissa around that she signed up to sponsor a second Townie friend in the Project.

Welcome, Joe Carr; here's your plumb bob!
Joe, a Fortune Sim, brought nine thousand simoleons to the household. Although his ambition is to someday be a business tycoon like Eleanor, due to some recent setbacks he's currently employed as a clerk at the Circus Burger drive-through.

Eleanor reluctantly went along with the "no getting affectionate with the non-Romance move-ins" rule, but at least she could have a little fun.

Twistin' the night away.
The fireplace, like the sculpture in the previous shot, is the result of a very complex day (between Melissa's leaving and Joe's moving in) where Eleanor's huge bonus was fortunately sufficient to buy Kennedy enough stuff to get him out of his depression over losing his job. We may post that story someday.

Eleanor used her contacts to get him started on a better career path.

Off to a Real Job.
Does it mean anything when Sims think about their aspiration symbols?

But before long, it was time to go join the rest of the Project.

Kennedy wasn't sorry to see the last of the Project, even if this one didn't seem to have been sleeping with Eleanor.
"See how I'm in my underwear, and how Eleanor's topless? See how you're in the taxi leaving, and I'm here with her staying? So who's the alpha male here, huh? That's right: it's Kenn-eh-dee!

And the bus stop population was up to six...

"Hey, baby, haven't I seen you somewhere before? Wanna share business contacts?"
While he's Fortune, I somehow see him as being interested in the Romantic Melissa there. At least in the short term. Given how little subjective time these characters are going to be at the Bus Stop, I'm not even looking at their Wants yet.

Next time: a last-minute substitution...
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:40 pm
Hmm... is that another one for the Department of Underwear Recognition?

dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:26 pm
Greg wrote:
Hmm... is that another one for the Department of Underwear Recognition?

*8) You mean Kennedy's, or Eleanor's? I'm pretty sure Kennedy's is whatever he came with (and therefore I'd tend to assume not cc, although now that I think of it I don't actually know how that works, and I can't check right now because some child is doing homework on the TS2 machine). Eleanor's is my own creation, based on the obvious (and some less obvious but not visible from this angle) modifications to the Maxis standard undies.

(But feel free to elaborate if I missed your meaning! I want to give credit where credit is due, but I'm too disorganized to do it reliably...)

DC
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:19 pm
Silly me. I was thinking of Inga's Topless Swimsuit Collection. Now I realize that I also created very similar unmentionables but have never put them on line.

miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:44 pm
dmchess wrote:
(and therefore I'd tend to assume not cc, although now that I think of it I don't actually know how that works, and I can't check right now because some child is doing homework on the TS2 machine)

How dare that child do something so frivolous as homework on the computer?

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:52 pm
miros1 wrote:
How dare that child do something so frivolous as homework on the computer?

Yeah, kids these days! *8)

We really need one or two more computers in this house. I should win the lottery!
dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:56 pm
Greg wrote:
Silly me. I was thinking of Inga's Topless Swimsuit Collection. Now I realize that I also created very similar unmentionables but have never put them on line.

Well, how negligent of you! *8)

(Since my Sims are all still using the default Barbie-style skins, the topless clothes that I make all come with lifelike pasties. Although of course that's only at game level, not at story level. I think. Grin )

DC
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:31 am
Definitely at the game level. The game is to a Sims story as a morgue file is to an artist. Sometimes it suggests, but it does not create.

dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:11 pm
Arcadia Bradshaw
a last-minute substitution

The next Townie scheduled for the Project was Goopy Gilscarbo, but he pulled out at the last minute, citing undisclosed personal reasons (we suspect that although he has presented himself as a doctor in the neighborhood, he's really a second assistant pill-stacker or something and he didn't want Sally to find out).

The first Sim on the waiting list was local repair-person Arcadia Bradshaw (no relation, we suspect, to Professor Arcadia Bradshaw of SSU). She was welcomed to controllability by John Danvers.

Welcome, Arcadia; here's your plumb-bob!
Ms. Bradshaw is a Romance Sim who hopes to someday woohoo with twenty different lovers. (I decided on Arcadia rather than Goopy because (a) I thought it'd be interesting to have an elder in the Project, (b) I'd heard that Goopy might be Romance, and we've already got one of those, and (c) the Danverses could use the moving-in money. Given that Arcadia is Romance, and that being an NPC she of course didn't bring in any money, I missed on two out of three; oh, well!)

She used her time at the Danverses to meet some new people.

"Oh yes, I'm very fond of NPCs!"
"On the other hand there's already an Arcadia Bradshaw in my rolodex, and that could cause some confusion."

But inside the place was as chaotic as usual.

A typical day at the Danverses
Let's see: that's Jane in her nightgown playing pinball with Taylor who walked by, and Justin autonomously noogying some passing townie child (or maybe that's Taylor's son Aaron); Jean, John, Georgia, Jan, and Jen are doing complicated things elsewhere in the house.

And before long she was off.

Having checked the bus schedule on the Web first.
"This house is too small for this many people! And they keep inviting passersby in!"

So the Project was up to seven.

"What a cute little thing!"
The Muse tells me that Arcadia's more comfortable with kids than Melissa is.

So now we've got two Family, two Romance, and one Fortune (and two babies). Only one more to go, and then they can move in!

The extended version of this entry has a couple extra pictures, and an egregious bonus section with pictures of Sally Raptor flirting with Arcadia.

Last edited by dmchess on Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:00 am; edited 2 times in total
dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:46 pm
Remington London
the last of the Townies arrives

The last Townie to sign up for the Project was Remington London the pizza guy (also Sally Raptor's twentieth lover). Appropriately, he was brought in by Sally herself.

Welcome, Remington; here's your plumb bob.
Remington, a Romance Sim (arg!), hopes someday to have twenty simultaneous lovers (arrrg!).

No longer employed as a pizza guy, he confessed to Sally an interest in the Slacker scene, and she gave him some email addresses.

"Dear Bijou Theatre: I hear you might have an opening for..."
It's not his LTW or anything (unfortunately), but he did spin up a minor "get a Slacker job" want, so here he is. He has good skills, like the other two service NPCs.

He had a brief but enjoyable stay at the Love Nest.

Since he's Romance, the Project's "no affectionate interactions with move-ins" rule doesn't apply.

And then it was time to go.

See you around!
Although she's going to have to be careful visiting him at Casa Townie, since like five of the six adults there are in love with her.

Remington got to the Bus Stop just moments after Mitch (in lot-time), and the Project roster was complete.

So when's the bus due?
Sheesh: two Family, one Fortune, and three Romance (and two babies). Well, it won't be dull...

Next time: Casa Townie!
Arcadia Bradshaw
SimCityGallery
Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:31 am
Arcadia in my game was aged down to adult. Later she was introduced to one of the Tricou's (brought back to life) by the gypsy. She's now happily married with a daughter and another youngster on the way. She's quite pretty as an adult. A red head with nice features.

I've been on a kick of aging down elder NPC's to see what they looked like as adults. No elder nannies left, only adult aged babysitters now.

-SCG
:story: The Townie Project