Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic What are you reading right now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:41 pm
I've never been able to make it through The Silmarillion but I've spent about 30 years thinking I might give it another go some time!

On my bedstand at the moment: The Shadow of Saganami by David Weber, and the Politically Incorrect Guide to Global Warming.

katgirlgreen13
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:07 am
A bit of light reading there, Greg?

Right now I'm trying to wade through John Steinbeck stuff. A little boring, especially The Pearl.
I might try to tackle Grapes of Wrath next month, but not now.
Oh, yes, let's not forget Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy!

SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:08 pm
Read "Cannery Row", if you haven't. They make kids read "Grapes of Wrath" instead because it's more edducacionel, and "The Pearl" because it's deep 'n' symbolic, but imho "Cannery Row"s a much better way to come to love Steinbeck...

Currently reading the second book of Clive Barker's "Imajica". Not bad, although (maybe because of his horror background) as soon as he shows you something (or someone) extremely neat, you can be pretty sure it's going to be destroyed or dead after not too many pages. razz

DC
katgirlgreen13
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:38 pm
I don't know, I think The Pearl's already soured me on Steinbeck. The Red Pony wasn't much of a thriller as I remember, either.

SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:15 am
Well, "Cannery Row" isn't exactly a thriller *8) but I really liked it. Interesting characters, nice story, easy reading...
Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:53 am
No, IMHO Of Mice and Men is by far his best book. And certainly the funniest.

Lessee.. I jsut finished some of the Babylon 5 spinoff books, which continue the story, interpolating and extrapolating from the series. We have most of those now. And I picked up a Fay Weldon, Life Force, a couple of days ago. She's bitter, man-hating, true to life and very very funny.
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:11 pm
I just finished Red Thunder by John Varley. If you liked Heinlein's Rocket Ship Galileo, you will enjoy this one. It's a great yarn and Varley is a far better writer than any of the Davids. Highly recommended.

katgirlgreen13
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:18 pm
I haven't had much time to read on my free time reading books I can actually enjoy. I've been busy spending all my free time researching TV, music, and sports in the fifties for a presentation due next week. And of course squeezing in a bit of time for simming. wink
btw, does anybody have any good points for those topics? interesting tidbits? all help would be appreciated. i'm having a little trouble in the sports area.[/i]

Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:49 am
Hmm... do personal anecdotes count? I was born in 1950. Very few houses had televisions back then; we were the first on our block to have one. Then one day a couple of guys came to install it. The speaker had its own power supply and it was in the base. Then the main cabinet went on top of that, and once that was installed, they put the electronics in as a separate unit.

Before that I'd go with my father and brother over to some other fellow's house to watch the Saturday Night Fights. They had a tiny little television screen, must have been about 4 inches across if that big.

I don't remember watching television much back then even after we got the set, though the Mickey Mouse Club and Disneyland were a big part of the week. Back then, television sitcom families tended to be wealthy upper-middle-class folks. Ozzie and Harriet was a family favorite.

As for sports, no wonder you're having difficulty: In the 1950's, professional sports consisted of the New York Yankees and assorted debris; and the Yankees consisted of Mickey Mantle and some other guys. The World Series was so big that they interrupted school so we could watch it.

And everybody liked Ike.

katgirlgreen13
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:32 pm
cool! thanks, that will really come in handy!
(Oh, I was looking up music stuff and read that Elvis had a twin brother that died at birth. I never knew that!)

Book-wise, today I watched the movie that went with the book Nightjohn that our english teacher also made us read-boring graphic novel about slavery that's made for like fourth grader and our teacher somehow decided we should read. the movie was suprisingly good.

Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:23 am
Anthology of Scifi short stories, containing some excellent ones.

Best New SF 19 edited by Gardner Dozois.
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:31 am
I just finished "The Poison Cloud" by Arthur Conan Doyle. It was an interesting period piece, though it sort of drags.

katgirlgreen13
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:44 am
I just received an assignment from my English teacher-we have to read a "classic" for this month's book report. Of course, none of the books she thinks are classics really are. Well, I guess Huckleberry Finn is, but other than that, nope. I'm reading the Wizard of Oz. Part of the assignment is watching the movie if a movie was made about the book. Watching a movie for homework, what a drag...
I wish we could read real literary classics, though. The Great Gatsby, Grapes of Wrath, Jane Eyre, etc.