Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic What are you reading right now?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
What are you reading right now?
Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:36 pm
I'm reading a strange book called Knowledge of Angels by Jill Paton Walsh, which I think is rather metaphorical and today is way above my head!
dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:59 pm
Hullabaloo! (Ha ha ha! I'm the first one to make the obvious dumb crack!)

My Life in Orange; an autobiography about being a kid in the Rajneesh movement in the 1980's. Interesting stuff, both personal and sociopolitical. Bought it after googling around a bit about the cult after having accidentally listened to Rajneesh's "Meditations on Sufism" from Audible under the mistaken impression that it would be about Sufism rather than just Rajneesh talking about Rajneeshism. This is the Rajneesh whose followers were eventually famous for trying to take over Antelope, Oregon by nefarious means including poisoning local salad bars to try to reduce voter turnout. I haven't gotten to that part of the book yet...

(Reading that among a dozen or so other things scattered around in the piles; I've been really bad about finishing one book before starting the next three these last few years!)

DC
miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:04 pm
Complete Mafia rulebook

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:27 pm
1. System Specification for the Crew Health Care System (CHeCS)
2. Knife of Dreams by Robert Jordan.

So far, #1 is the better science fiction story. geek

Liss
Daughter of the Moon
Post Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:29 am
Valhalla Rising by Clive Cussler. (A Dirk Pitt novel). I've only read about 5 pages so far lol... I just finished the 3-book series by Steve Alten about the megalodons. (Meg, The Trench, and Meg:Primal Waters).

Wytch's Brew
http://wytchsbrew.simshost.com/
Nihale199
Voice of the Book
Post Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:01 am
The Catcher in the Rye. We're reading it for our English Literature studies at school. It's quite interesting but I don't really like Holden - as a class we've decided that he's projecting the image of himself being a "phony" onto others.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:10 am
Nihale199 wrote:
The Catcher in the Rye. We're reading it for our English Literature studies at school. It's quite interesting but I don't really like Holden - as a class we've decided that he's projecting the image of himself being a "phony" onto others.

Very insightful! Writers do tend to project their own personalities onto their characters. Success seems to lie in be able to get inside the charcter's head when it's someone who is not like you. That can do really strange things to your mind. (I've never been able to create a plausible villain. I keep trying.)

Of course, everybody does this. It shows up in nearly all newscasts and newspaper reports. Now, what does this tell us about critics?
lol

Nihale199
Voice of the Book
Post Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:28 am
Greg wrote:
Writers do tend to project their own personalities onto their characters.

Which is why some say that Arthur Dent's personality became more and more like Douglas Adams' as time went on, no?

Greg also wrote:
Of course, everybody does this. It shows up in nearly all newscasts and newspaper reports. Now, what does this tell us about critics?

That, deep down, they think they're inadequate?

The Spoiled Brat
Post Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:40 am
The Time Traveler's Wife, Healing With The Fairies, Good In Bed..(this is a comedy). embarrassed
I get bored if I just read one book at a time. geek

nanci2121
miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:02 pm
Greg wrote:

Are you saying the Crew Health Care System is held together by chewing gum and bailing twine?

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:59 am
I just finished a very funny book by Fay Weldon, one of my favourite authors. The Bulgari Connection.

I wonder why Weldon's stories remind me of Sims 2 stories? Hmmm.... they seem to be all about jealousy I s'pose.

And I just realised Jilly Cooper's, another favourite, remind me of Greg's (Or Greg's remind me of Jilly's)... except her people are much naughtier than his. Now there is someone who can write a family baddy. Massive family networks, and most folks end up happily married with the desired number of kids, just like in Happy Valley.
Liss
Daughter of the Moon
Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:28 pm
Greg wrote:

Very insightful! Writers do tend to project their own personalities onto their characters.

Clive Cussler actually writes *himself* into his books. Dirk Pitt and crew met Clive Cussler on a yacht in Valhalla Rising and he helped them deal with some nefarious modern day pirates. I think he also wrote himself into Atlantis Found, but it's been a while since I read it so I don't remember.

Wytch's Brew
http://wytchsbrew.simshost.com/
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:29 pm
Sita wrote:
I just finished a very funny book by Fay Weldon, one of my favourite authors. The Bulgari Connection.

I wonder why Weldon's stories remind me of Sims 2 stories? Hmmm.... they seem to be all about jealousy I s'pose.

And I just realised Jilly Cooper's, another favourite, remind me of Greg's (Or Greg's remind me of Jilly's)... except her people are much naughtier than his. Now there is someone who can write a family baddy. Massive family networks, and most folks end up happily married with the desired number of kids, just like in Happy Valley.

Oh! Maybe I should look for Jilly Cooper's work to see if I can pilfer some ideas.

My characters could be a lot naughtier but I'm trying to skirt the boundaries of a PG 13 rating here. Well, besides, I've never tried writing really naughty things; don't know if I'd be any good at it. embarrassed

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:34 pm
miros1 wrote:
Greg wrote:

Are you saying the Crew Health Care System is held together by chewing gum and bailing twine?

Not at all. I was just whining about Robert Jordan's book.

This is the 10th book in the Wheel of Time series. At least I can say it's better than the 9th book he wrote last year, where absolutely nothing happened in more than 1,000 pages. The series was really fun at the start, but at the end of the 8th book he left dozens of loose ends lying around and hasn't tied up a single one of them yet. His writing discipline has gone to pot, too; these last two books are obviously first-draft, stream-of-consciousness mental wandering.

On the other hand, Jordan is a best-selling published writer, so who am I to critique his work?

Last edited by Greg on Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:22 pm
Greg wrote:
This is the 10th book in the Wheel of Time series. At least I can say it's better than the 9th book he wrote last year, where absolutely nothing happened in more than 1,000 pages. The series was really fun at the start, but at the end of the 8th book he left dozens of loose ends lying around and hasn't tied up a single one of them yet.

omg, yeah. I really liked the first few books in that series, but then at one point (I don't remember which volume it was, but it was years ago) I realized that I had just read like two hundred pages of people supposedly in the middle of trying to save the world worrying about what dresses they were going to wear or something, and I came to my senses and stopped wasting my time. Sheesh!

(And it's a real pity, because there was some great stuff before that; the revelations about the real origin of the desert guys and the gypsy guys and stuff was all really well done.)

Greg wrote:
On the other hand, Jordan is a best-selling published writer, so who am I to critique his work?

You're the highest authority: a reader! Grin

Just not a reader in the set of readers that he's currently pandering to, perhaps...

DC
What are you reading right now?