Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic What are you reading right now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:56 pm
I tell people the books are to insulate my house from gamma rays during a nuclear attack!

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Liss
Daughter of the Moon
Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:23 pm
Greg wrote:

My best advice to anyone: Don't collect books.

Blasphemy!

Wytch's Brew
http://wytchsbrew.simshost.com/
Not quiet as bad
SimCityGallery
Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:54 am
You got me there, Greg. I just have a spare bedroom full and a few boxes in another closet. The spare bedroom even has room for a set of bunkbeds in there with boxes underneath and stacked next to. I was proud of myself for unloading the 6 boxes of books on the Marines. It was the first time I had gotten rid of a book in over a decade. smile I also tossed out the contents of about 3 other boxes that day....I was on a roll! More good news is Bren has me on a system where I can't add any new boxes to the spare bedroom unless I get rid of two already in there.

From the dates, it sounds like you might have actually been on GEnie after I was already gone. I moved to Indiana in the early 90's and had access to nothing here for 3 years until dial-up Internet came to town. It's still all we have. Oddly enough, when I lived in Michigan I lived 3 miles outside a town of only 1,200. Yet had access to anything I wanted, GEnie, Compuserve, The Sierra Network and even a very early Internet via General Motors. This part of Indiana is more populated than back home yet had nothing at all. Doesn't makes sense until you discover just how backwards about everything in Indiana is.
Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:05 am
Yup. What is really frustrating is collecting boks and living with a more determined packrat.

When MY books (and the kids) overrrun the bookshelves (that is they go past the stage of stacking neatly, piling pon top and in front) and start piling up on the table, windowsill, floors.... they get weeded (I hate doing that) and sent off to charity shops (thrift stores?) put in the bin, given to daughter... when HIS books get out of control they go in huge boxes full - two in the study and one in the bedroom at the moment. And he already has a whole study full of shelves, a library really. "But I need them all for my research" he cries, and flies off to the University library for another thirty. They LET him borrow up to 30 books at a time!

This is what I mean about intellectuals :lol

Oh and charity shops here sell books and I have some gems from there.
Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:06 am
And we are reading Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire on Talking Books with older son at the moment and enjoying it immensely!
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:59 am
I did CompuServe before GEnie but gave up on it after it got to be so expensive. I was on American People/LINK for a while, too.

It's interesting to think that while the Internet has fantastically increased the number of people with access, it has also fragmented the online community and changed the nature of the online population. There are drawbacks to this marvelous technology.

Nihale199
Voice of the Book
Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:57 am
I think one of the problems with online literature is that I get confused easily. Take the New Jedi Order series, for example. All but one of the books have been published in paper/hardback. Because of this, I thought they all were - and I didn't know they weren't until I had spent many weeks wandering around the library, WH Smith and Waterstones not being able to find the one I hadn't read.

In other news, I finished Catcher in the Rye the other week. The last chapter doesn't make much sense - Holden doesn't run things together in a big conclusion and there's no big climax that you'd expect from a work of fiction. My English teacher has given the class a set of Post-It notes each because the books are exam copies and if we write in them, we get disqualified. Fun.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:49 am
rereading (on Talking Book) Mary Stewart, The Last Enchantment. Delicious!
Liss
Daughter of the Moon
Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:17 pm
Oh Sita. You have no idea how dear those books are to my heart. I read The Crystal Cave when I was about 12 ( I started reading novels early lol) and started my love affair with King Arthur stories. I have read that series at least 5 or 6 times.

Wytch's Brew
Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:08 pm
<hugs Liss>
I read the local neighbourhood library by the time I was 12 smile and have loved the Arthur Stories for ... N decades.
It's a treat now cos hubby has never read the Mary Stewart ones, and I know them inside out. Son has read them but is enjoying rereading; so I am sort of enjoying the books through their eyes (well, ears).

Another old favourite is Memnoch the Devil by Anne Rice, I have infected son with Anne Rice now and he's chewing that one so I cannot get it back to finish my rereading...

and Mostly Harmless, by the late, great Mr Adams.
Liss
Daughter of the Moon
Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:49 pm
hehe...yeah I love anne rice too. I finished blackwood farm and blood canticle a few months ago. (Merge of the vampires and witches, how great is that?)

I also LOVE marion zimmer bradley.

Wytch's Brew
Ireland
SimCityGallery
Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:16 pm
I'm about 3/4ths through Ireland by Frank Delaney. Excellent book especially if you like history! Mr. Delaney weaves Irish history and myth through his story about a boy and a old storyteller.

Next up? Assassin's Gate about the Iraq War.

-SCG
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:42 pm
I'm still wading through Knife of Dreams by Robert Jordan.

It gets better in spots and actually seems to be advancing the plot a little bit, but he still wanders off for several pages in nearly every scene. Reading a conversation can be difficult when there's only half a sentence of dialog every fourth page.

Nevertheless, I'm determined to get through this book and find out if they rescue the captive maidens. If they don't, I just might give up on Robert Jordan entirely.

miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:36 pm
Liss wrote:
hehe...yeah I love anne rice too. I finished blackwood farm and blood canticle a few months ago. (Merge of the vampires and witches, how great is that?)

I also LOVE marion zimmer bradley.

Oh yeah, Blackwood Farm was awesome... Then Mona showed up...

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Liss
Daughter of the Moon
Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:12 am
How can you not LOVE Mona????? lol
She was one of my favorite characters from the minute she showed up. Her and Stella. Oh and Julien. That goes without saying Grin

Wytch's Brew
What are you reading right now?