Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic What are you reading right now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:55 pm
That's the most succinct analysis of Robert Jordan's work that I've ever seen!

I like it when the writer tells us about the characters' daily lives, but Jordan just goes on and on and on about nothing, and then gives short shrift to the scenes that advance the plot. In the 10th book, he also has invested more than 90% of the first half of the book in (sometimes unintelligible) trivia about minor bad guys, while more than 2,000 pages have gone by since we heard from, the number one protagonist in this tale, Rand al Thor.

Golly. For all the writing discipline this shows, he might as well be posting his stories in the Hullabaloo! Rolling on the Floor Laughing

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:57 pm
So... who's writing a good fantasy series these days?

I really enjoy the long, epic tales that take up thousands of pages in multiple volumes, but I really prefer that the story keep moving and be focused on likeable characters.

dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:52 pm
Greg wrote:

I really enjoy the long, epic tales that take up thousands of pages in multiple volumes, but I really prefer that the story keep moving and be focused on likeable characters.

I've been staying away from long series for the last several years; too much investment required. Maybe my attention span is just shortening with age. *8) The last sort-of fantasy multi-volume thing that I recall really liking was Pullman's "His Dark Materials" trilogy, but it's sort of in a class by itself...

Dc
Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:18 pm
Oops - embarrassed actually I meant Bad/evil by naughty, not ...post PG!
:lol
Naughty has more meanings here perhaps. Or maybe I am just being humpty-dumpty-ish with words. What I meant to say is that Jilly Cooper's bad people leave a trail of wreckage, and not just broken marriages - no dead bodies I think but lots of very upset folks, a suicide or two, some sudden impoverishments.... Mind you, her books are quite racy (racy? you know racy? sexy?)...back to the American-English dictionary....
Spent a long time today trying to come up with some evil deeds that I could make in Sims stories; might have discovered one or two. I'll let you know.

Greg wrote:
Sita wrote:
<snip> except her people are much naughtier than his.

Oh! Maybe I should look for Jilly Cooper's work to see if I can pilfer some ideas.

My characters could be a lot naughtier but I'm trying to skirt the boundaries of a PG 13 rating here. Well, besides, I've never tried writing really naughty things; don't know if I'd be any good at it.
What am I reading?
SimCityGallery
Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:25 pm
What am I reading? Right now I have the DailyKos open in another window. Oh you mean books? I'm working on The Towers of the Sunset by L.E. Modesitt, Jr and my current in the car book is All Too Human by George Stephanopoulos. I hate to be caught anywhere without reading material.

-SCG
miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:26 pm
Well, PG13 refers to violence and general nastyness too... not just sexual content. If cigarette smoking isn't on the list of things to push something over into PG13-hood, it soon will be.

Good fantasy... hmm...

Mercedes Lakey is doing some good stuff in the Fire Rose/Elemental Magic universe. You don't have to have read Fire Rose to understand the new stuff, but the new stuff should be read in order. Her villians are pretty nasty, even if they are very obviously villians. Her heroes are VERY likable, and after they've overcome their own personal challenges, they show up in the sequels as supporting cast. She's doing other good "fairy tale knockoffs" like The Black Swan (I think that's the name), The Fairy Godmother, etc.

Last edited by miros1 on Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
I remember her
SimCityGallery
Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:39 pm
Mercedes Lackey was one of the many authors that were once regulars on the GEnie network. That was before the Internet became more widely accessible. She was so nice and really good about answering questions. She named some characters after some regulars.

Raymond J. Feist was my favorite though. He was so cool! At that time, he said he had sold the movie rights to his book "Faerie Tale" but I haven't seen anything more about that since. I was excited that there would be a movie of that book but Ray said that selling the rights was just the first step.

-SCG
miros1
Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:01 pm
Let me see if I can get this sorted out:

Fire Rose, 1996

The Elemental Masters series

Serpent's Shadow, March 2001, Snow White

Gates of Sleep, Apr 2002, Sleeping Beauty

Phoenix and Ashes, Oct 2004, Cinderella

The Wizard of London, Oct 2005, The Snow Queen

No I haven't read The Wizard of London yet....

There's still a site where you can post questions for Ms. Lackey and the answers will be posted in the FAQ on the site. She does answer promptly!

Re: I remember her
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:57 am
SimCityGallery wrote:
Mercedes Lackey was one of the many authors that were once regulars on the GEnie network. That was before the Internet became more widely accessible. She was so nice and really good about answering questions. She named some characters after some regulars.

Raymond J. Feist was my favorite though. He was so cool! At that time, he said he had sold the movie rights to his book "Faerie Tale" but I haven't seen anything more about that since. I was excited that there would be a movie of that book but Ray said that selling the rights was just the first step.

-SCG

I remember GEnie! In fact, I even had my own author topic in the SF Round Table. It was where we started all the Artemis Project moon-nut stuff.

Randall Severy worked for GE Information Services back then. He even programmed the Round Table so that one of the topics in the Artemis Project section of the SFRT would be piped out the mailing list. That was really hot stuff back then!

Liss
Daughter of the Moon
Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:32 pm
Greg wrote:

Terry Goodkind! Sword of Truth series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wytch's Brew
http://wytchsbrew.simshost.com/
miros1
Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:48 pm
I second that!

Third!
SimCityGallery
Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:27 pm
I third that with the Sword of Truth Series as it definately was one of the better series that I've read in a long time.

Sounds like I was on GEnie the same time Greg was. You know I think that roundtable worked out really well for the lesser known authors at that time. I know I always bought more books of authors that were nice and seemed really interesting. It was only a drawback when I got a chance to talk to Orson Scott Card not on GEnie but on a small local BBS in Greensboro, NC. I never bought another book of his after that. He's SCARY! Not in a Stephen King way but in a crazy loon kind of way.

Danny is almost to the end of the first book of the Dragonlance Chronicles that he found in the spare bedroom. He loves rooting through the old boxes in there. There's books, old RPG stuff, and stuff I had no idea I still had. He got me in trouble once when he came out of there with a handful of old letters from my ex-fiance when Brennan was here. Brennan immediately freaked out until I had him look at the postmark dates on those old envelopes dating back to the late 80's. Bren helped me out by destroying those. I had no idea those were still in there.

When I donated six boxes of books to the troops, I must have missed those. I did find stuff to throw away back then while I was looking for books I could part with. Can you say PACKRAT?

-SCG
Re: Third!
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:44 pm
SimCityGallery wrote:
...Can you say PACKRAT?

I should show you pictures of the boxes of books stacked up in my (would-be) dining room and garage! Rolling on the Floor Laughing

Let's see... I was on GEnie from around 1990 to 1995, I think. Thereabouts, anyhow. Then GE gave up on it. I didn't venture much beyond the SFRT.

By the time they started sff.net I was up to my eyeballs in the Artemis Project, which unfortunately put an abrupt halt to my budding career as a science fiction writer. That's probably the 2nd dumbest thing I ever did.

Addendum: Maybe it was up to 1997 or so. GEnie continued on for a while there.

miros1
Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:53 pm
I'm proud that my boxes now fit in my would-be dining room...

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:54 pm
I keep telling myself that if I just clean out one box a day I'll eventually get to the end of it, but it hasn't worked out that way. Yet.

My best advice to anyone: Don't collect books.

What are you reading right now?