Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic What are you reading right now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Liss
Daughter of the Moon
Post Posted: Wed May 17, 2006 1:03 pm
After seeing The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (again) I decided to read up on the characters. I recently finished 20000 Leagues Under the Sea (good book), and have just finished The Picture of Dorian Gray (VERY good but very disturbing). Currently I'm reading King Solomon's Mines, which features Alan Quartermain. I'm not very far into it and I love it already. REally getting into this book smile

Wytch's Brew
http://wytchsbrew.simshost.com/
Kaylyn
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2006 2:30 pm
miros1 wrote:
I think it's out! The Good The Bad and The Undead?
Sounds right. I love that she set this series in my "neck" of the woods! I get tickled when she talks about real places like the Pierre Bossier Mall. I go there all the time! She even mentioned my town Minden in one of the more recent installments. To tide me over I picked up Beverly Lewis's latest 2 books while I was in Amish country last week.

Edit: Oopsie! We were both mistaken about the title. It's Definitely Dead. Just picked it up on my way home last night. I haven't had a chance to start reading it yet though, and probably won't till I'm back out on the road. I'm currently busy finishing up the newest addition to my Sims 2 story. razz
miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:50 am
The Final Kill by Meg O'Brien

Nothing supernatural, just the general crappy things humans do to each other. Read the first one first, Sacred Trust.

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:02 pm
For some reason, this brings to mind the title of one of the episodes of my fantasy role-playing game (where I am the gamesmaster): Night of the Livid Undead

Zenmistress
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:14 pm
I just finished Bone Island Mambo by Tom Corcoran (for the second time-LOL).
I love his books, they're mysteries set in Key West, I found out about him from Jimmy Buffett's website.

I think I'm going to go back and re-read The Mango Opera and Gumbo Limbo, as well.

That should take me up to vacation and I can then read the 4th novel, Octopus Alibi, which I've been saving. I'm planning on ordering Air Dance Iguana, which won't be released in paperback until the end of October.

I like to read books set in the south. I just wish I could move back there. *sigh*

Ok....prolly more information that any of ya'll needed. LMAO

miros1
Post Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:19 pm
Greg wrote:
For some reason, this brings to mind the title of one of the episodes of my fantasy role-playing game (where I am the gamesmaster): Night of the Livid Undead

Just remember,
Quote:
In space, no one can hear you rot.

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:36 pm
Hmm... can someone hear you rotting somewhere else?

Then there was the one about the fellow who got a research grant to open Beethoven's tomb. When he finally got there, he found Beethoven inside, busily erasing musical scores.

"What are you doing?" he asked.

"What do you think I'd be doing?" Beethoven said. "I'm decomposing!"

Meanwhile, back on topic, after reading East of the Sun, West of the Moon by John Ringo (not his best work), I started reading the "Mage Wars" series by Mercedes Lackey and Larry Dixon.

The Black Gryphon was great! I've just started on the first sequel, The White Gryphon. I'm hoping it's as good, but I'll be just as happy as long as I get to spend a little more quality time with Skandranon the gryphon.

miros1
Post Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:39 pm
Mage Wars: Is that where you're starting the overseries? That'll give you a very interesting first view of the world...

Rotting: That was the theme for the All Flesh Must Be Eaten scenario I was vaguely working on at one point.

dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:11 pm
Picoverse, by Robert A. Metzger. I don't know where I got it (it's hardcover, even, and I never buy hardcovers), but it's fun so far. It starts out like one of those "physicists struggling to get their valuable projects funded by clueless bureaucrats" procedurals (which can be good or bad), but then this alien from another universe showed up... Intriguing!
Zenmistress
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:19 am
Greg wrote:

Then there was the one about the fellow who got a research grant to open Beethoven's tomb. When he finally got there, he found Beethoven inside, busily erasing musical scores.

"What are you doing?" he asked.

"What do you think I'd be doing?" Beethoven said. "I'm decomposing!"

Rolling on the Floor Laughing

I'm easily amused some days...today happens to be one of them.

Kaylyn
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:03 am
Just finished Angels and Demons by Dan Brown (a million times better than The DaVinci Code) and Definitely Dead by Charlaine Harris. Just started Charlaine's newest, Grave Sight, the first of a new series. So far I'm actually liking it better than her Sookie books (the vampire series).

dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:53 am
I don't know which I'd prefer; I thought Angels and Demons and the Da Vinci one were both fun, but also both basically silly. They're both better than "Digital Fortress", though!

I wax snide about both Angels and Demons and Digital Fortress on my website. Writing condescending reviews of potboilers is 'way too much fun! *8)
Kaylyn
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:52 pm
Hehe, yeah, all that stuff he was going on about the ambigrams being impossible for even the most splendiferous of computers to come up with, and then there it is on the next page...that did amuse me a little bit. And I'm not saying I'm accepting everything he said as fact, or even plausible...it is, after all, fiction, and was a pretty good read. Grin

dmchess
SimsHost Champion
Post Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:33 pm
lunahskye wrote:
it is, after all, fiction, and was a pretty good read. Grin

Yeah, even Digital Fortress was in some sense a good read. I guess I'm frustrated because it feels like with a little extra effort (like, a day's worth of fact checking) they could all have been even better reads (at least in that I wouldn't have been as distracted by all the howlers). I'm greedy... *8)
miros1
Post Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:21 pm
It seems the publishers are leaving the fact checking and editing and even the grammar, punctuation, and spelling checking to the authors.

I actually read a book that was missing at least 3 punctuation marks at the ends of sentences...

What are you reading right now?