Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic Newbie Questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Newbie Questions
Valeiren
SimsHost Veteran
Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:21 am
OK here goes my questions.

1. Do I have to have unleashed to change my neighborhood background? I want a winter one and downloaded one from KILLERSIMS but it doesn't work. (And they have not yet responded to my email about it.) Then I looked at a tutorial by Maps on how to do it myself in Photoshop, but when I FINALLY found a working link to get FarOut, I only found neighborhoods for unleashed in the FAR file.

2. Where do I get SimsEnhancer and which of the several dozen other ones I've seen mentioned here and there do I need?

I've given up on the idea of making my own skins or objects. For some reason I can't get my brain to wrap around the concepts in the tutorials. I went back to that one at Moon Sims and I'm embarassed to say it's the same one that I found incomprehensible when I first started looking into it. Usually I don't have such a hard time figuring out how to do stuff, but all the tuts seem to start from the assumption that a person already has certain knowledge. Right now however, I have so much great stuff I downloaded that I just need to go play my game. LOL Thanks for any help you can give me.

"All the time believing that it all comes down to nothing but this chance!" - Savatage
For Valeiren - Getting Started
Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:37 pm
1. Yes. Unleashed. um - I think. At least Unleashed gives you the larger neighbourhood screen. I think it was possible to change the background screen before but the image obviously changed at that point (much larger Hood with more lots. Most downloadable screens I have seen were for Unleashed.

2. SimEnhancer is a program you have to pay for (gasp) but IMHO it's very much worthwhile. I'm a convert, I have all Rick's programmes for Sims 1 and Sims 2. There is SimEnhancer Object Manager, which I mentioned above, for objects, and SimEnhancer for skins. If you get these make sure you you get the version appropriate to the EPs you actually have. I know they are pay items but once you have these you won't need any of the other dozen proggies around.
http://www.simenhancer.com/

If you don't want to use the pay programs, try the following:

1. File Cop, which is also free from http://thesims.ea.com/us/index.html EA Games site, and checks walls and floors (and picks up some skin issues). Follow the links on that page to Cool Stuff and Tools to get them.
2. The other thing you need is the Skin Doctor, made by my friend Dr Pixel and you can also get that free at his website The Blarney Stone, http://theblarneystone.org/. (Lots of gorgeous skins there too!)

3. When you decide to make some stuff, start with some walls and floors (easy! and fun!) you need Homecrafter, which I think you can find on the same EA page.

That little lot should get you started - I don't know a good, simple object checker but I'm sure someone here will.

IMHO 99% of Sims 1 programs can be avoided by carefully checking your downloads. With the best will in the world, Sims object and skin makers are not perfect and do slip up occasionally, and it only takes one error to crash your game.

(says the reinstall queen:)

Oh and the thing that has helped me most with my Sims problems has been the Sims Community! There are so many people out here who are happy to help! Asking in forums like this is a very good way to get help.

Happy Simming!
flower
Valeiren
SimsHost Veteran
Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:16 pm
Thank you so very much Sita. I appreciate your answers and they were nice and complete too. I'm still waiting for answers from KILLERSIMS and Pompkyn's about objects I downloaded that don't work. I wouldn't care, but I did pay for a membership and was charged to download, so they should work.

As for making floors and walls, thank you again for the suggestion, but there are so many nice ones already out there that I see no need to make more. I have arthritis in my mousing hand, so I would only want to make something I really wanted. But thanks anyway.

I'm going to hold off on the SimEnhancer until I get the other 3 ep's. I'll be getting them this Friday. My husband and I are also doing a complete wipe and reload on my system. You would think that with as much as Microsoft charges for WindowsXP it would be more stable, but we have found that we usually have to do a complete redo every year or so. It sucks, but it needs to be done. Consequently, I'm spending the day today backing up everything onto CD's. I may even wait to reload The Sims until I have all 7 ep's.

I did download a neighborhood that was the old style in the snow theme, but can't make it run. I'll just wait until I get UL. For now, I'm making characters and taking the time to give them bios. I love that you can save the UserData files and just pop them in when you reinstall. I will make an entire neighborhood worth of families including a bunch of prospective boyfriends for Valeiren. (It's fun to make all the guys in the neighborhood fall in love with her then watch them fight over her Downtown and in Magic Town.) That way when I do get all the ep's I will have that part done and I can just play.

I'm heading now over to The Blarney Stone. I can't resist a good Irish sims site. Don'tcha know? Again thanks for all your help. Grin

"All the time believing that it all comes down to nothing but this chance!" - Savatage
OO lucky you!
Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:16 pm
Well, that's wonderful! To have all the EPs arriving at once! You won't have the problem many of us had of not having the right EP for the object you downloaded to work... And actually with MM the game engine is much better and stronger and crashes far less, most bugs were fixed by the time they released Makin' Magic.

I'm sorry, I misunderstood you about walls. Sims is a wonderful game, and one of the best things (and the one to which more people get addicted I think than anything else, is the "shopping" for downloads. There are so many wonderful sites. If you need any suggestions please do ask.

BTW I agree about XP. We used it at work and it was a nightmare. I have 2000 at home and it still works and is quite stable without using too much power or space... but yes, something like once every couple of years we seem to wind up with a complete wipe-and-reinstall.

Oh and I don't know if the webmasters for those two sites are around at the moment - but you may find it helps to post in the SimsHost Sites (Fan Messages) thread.
Valeiren
SimsHost Veteran
Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:51 pm
Ah I hadn't thought of posting there. The question for KILLERSIMS is moot now since you answered that for me. Grin I sent email directly to Sharon at Pompkyn's and figure I will give it at least a couple of weeks before I talk to SimsHOst about it. Thanks so much for sending me to The Blarney Stone! The skins there are great! I've downloaded just about all of them I think. Unfortunately, this is only Monday. If I have to wait until Friday to get the new ep's and start playing again, I'll end up with more downloads than I can deal with. *giggle* Ah well such is life. And yes any suggestions you have for good sites for skins especially men with long hair and girls with long red hair would be greatly appreciated.

Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:25 pm
There are some chaps with long hair that I like here http://www.simarillion.com/Manwe.htm that you might like - but would need to know more about the sort of style you are looking for - Sims user-made hair comes in millions of varieties! How long, modern or period, teenagerish or more adult looking?
miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:45 pm
There are several of Fionn's women's real heads that look good as men. Slightly finicy work, but easily done. http://www.simfreaks.com

I have a women's head with ankle length hair. I suspect the site is closed, but I could skin it and put it up for download...

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Valeiren
SimsHost Veteran
Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:18 am
Thank you both. I like 80's rockstar hair. embarrassed But not glam. More like hair that would go well with a rocker, or period look.

As for the long long hair LOL thank you for the offer but that is a bit too long. My hair used to be to my thighs and it always got in the way. Between middle back and the waist is what I like best. Silly I know to be so picky, but my character has always had long hair when I was dolling her, so I want her to have it again in the sims. If I ever get the truly undeniable urge to skin my own character I will maker her like she is in her own world. There is a picture of her on the main page of my website with a dragon. Anyway, I'm off to check out the links you so generously shared with me.

Oh and I noticed in the other thread people talking about having 2 computers to play both The Sims and The Sims 2. I have that problem solved. I have 2 separate 40g hard drives on my system. *Big Grin* and I found out today my system will handle TS2 just fine, so maybe that will be on my wish list for Christmas.

Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:39 am
Then you will be doubly addicted, like me, with no hope at all!

smile and your computer sounds nice, should have no problems.
miros1
Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:35 am
Valeiren wrote:
As for the long long hair LOL thank you for the offer but that is a bit too long. My hair used to be to my thighs and it always got in the way. Between middle back and the waist is what I like best. Silly I know to be so picky, but my character has always had long hair when I was dolling her, so I want her to have it again in the sims. If I ever get the truly undeniable urge to skin my own character I will maker her like she is in her own world. There is a picture of her on the main page of my website with a dragon. Anyway, I'm off to check out the links you so generously shared with me.

Yeah, Fionn has a head with that length hair.

Valeiren wrote:
Oh and I noticed in the other thread people talking about having 2 computers to play both The Sims and The Sims 2. I have that problem solved. I have 2 separate 40g hard drives on my system. *Big Grin* and I found out today my system will handle TS2 just fine, so maybe that will be on my wish list for Christmas.

There's one problem. Sims2 insists on placing your game data on the C: drive in a folder under "My Documents," and your downloads will go in the same folders. If you've already installed The Sims on C, you'll have the data for both games on the same drive.

Not a problem
Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:03 am
You can redirect the My Documents folder - it's under Properties. Mine lived on my E drive for ages. I found that out when I was playing SimCity - My Documents suddenly got very big - of course it has got a lot larger now.
miros1
Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:02 pm
Hm, that might work... I tried changing the registry entries for TS2BodyShop, and that didn't do it...

So you just change your system setting for the location of "My Documents"?

Sita
Dancer of the Nine Disks
Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:24 pm
Rose I found it hard to remember at first so I wrote it all out here:

http://www.justsimming.simshost.com/sims2/help/tutorials/mydocuments/mydocuments.html

Grin

Who needs a memory when they have a computer anyway? hiding
miros1
Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:36 pm
Trying it now. I'll tell you if it works!

miros1
Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:50 pm
It works! And I now have a gig free on my C drive!

Newbie Questions