Sun Sims Home Search FAQ Log in  
Reply to topic Fantastically Fast Fudge
Fantastically Fast Fudge
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:24 am
Fantastically Fast Fudge
Total preparation and cooking time: About 3 minutes. I kid you not.

Stuff you need
    1. Sweetened condensed milk
    2. Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate Chips
    3. Some butter
    4. Something to put the fudge in
    5. A microwave-safe container about twice the volume of the amount of fudge you want to make
    6. A spoon

Assembly Instructions
    1. Butter the thing you're going to put the fudge in. Do this now; you won't have time later.

2. Put approximately equal volumes of sweetened condensed milk and Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate Chips into the microwave-safe container. You might need a bit more chocolate chips than sweetened condensed milk. Experiment on small batches. Eat your mistakes.

3. Microwave on high until it looks like it wants to boil (a minute or so for a cup of stuff)

4. Vigorously stir the mixture until it's nicely smooth. (Less than a minute unless you're making a big batch.) The chocolate chips are already melted; you just need to persuade them to lose their shape. At this point you can add more neat stuff if you want: a bit of butter, a few drops of real vanilla extract, chopped walnuts.

5. Pour the mixture into your buttered fudge plate.

6. Let it cool while you eat whatever you can scrape out of the microwave container.

7. Throw flour on your face and try to look like you slaved for hours over this stuff when you present the fudge to your family.

8. Now that you're thoroughly saturated with theobromine, you can santimonously say things like, "Oh, go ahead and eat it all. I don't want any because I'm watching my diet, but I enjoy cooking it for you!"

This recipe popped into my head while reading the ingredients label on a can of sweetened condensed milk at the grocery store. (It's milk and sugar, and they've already done 90% of the cooking for you.) So I tried it at home and, to my amazement, the result was a delicious creamy fudge!

Any good-quality dark, semi-sweet chocolate will work. Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate Chips seemed to be the most cost-effective choice, but you could use those little Dove thingies, too, or even semi-sweet chocolate bars. I doubt that milk chocolate will set up right. There's so much sugar in the sweetened condensed milk that baking chocolate would probably work, but I haven't tried that yet.

If you have left-over sweetened condensed milk, you can put it into one of those el-cheapo screw-top plastic storage thingies and store it in the freezer for millenia. If you have left-over chocolate chips, just fold over the open end of the bag and seal it with (of course) a chip clip.

Nihale199
Voice of the Book
Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:48 am
Ooh. It sounds so tasty. Problem is, I think we threw out the microwave.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:58 am
In which case, take your mixture down to the local military base and put it in front of their radar transmitters.

miros1
Lone Surviving Sims 1 Holdout
Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:04 pm
Hm, condensed milk fudge usually has a pronounced overcooked taste, I bet the dark chocolate and butter help hide it...

The Wooden Simolean is a SimsHost subscriber supported site
Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:05 pm
Color me clueless. I'd never heard of condensed milk fudge before. This is the first time I've tried making anything with condensed milk.

miros1
Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:39 am
Lol! Condensed Milk Fudge is an old, old recipe... and Borden has a zillion recipes for cooking with condensed milk: http://www.eaglebrand.com/recipes.asp

Actually, in 1924, condensed milk was considered a nutritional suppliment: http://www.milk.com/wall-o-shame/nutrition/Condensed_Milk.html

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:44 pm
Well, look at that! So, basically, I re-invented a recipe that Borden came up with before I was born! lol

Hey, at least I used a microwave!

Greg
Anja's Sock Puppet
Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:04 pm
miros1 wrote:
Lol! Condensed Milk Fudge is an old, old recipe... and Borden has a zillion recipes for cooking with condensed milk: http://www.eaglebrand.com/recipes.asp

Actually, in 1924, condensed milk was considered a nutritional suppliment: http://www.milk.com/wall-o-shame/nutrition/Condensed_Milk.html

That obnoxious "Hall of Shame" web page about condensed milk has been bugging me for quite some time. It tells lots more about the author's lack of education and short-sighted outlook than about sweetened condensed milk. In 1924, sweetened condensed milk was a healthy food.

miros1
Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:36 pm
That bothered me a bit too. A lot of the information is clearly dated, but it was the best information available at the time. I'm sure that in 2084, people will think our "best knowledge" is pretty wrong headed too!

From another page on the "wall-o-shame":
Quote:
Weigh children and show them how many pounds they have got to gain to be up to weight.
That's definitely a 1924 problem, not a 2006 one!

Another side note: In the early 1900s, Salsbury Steak was developed to help combat protein deficiencies. Not something people worry about today, and they'd find a better quality protein than hamburgers with gravy if they did!

Fantastically Fast Fudge